Default By the Decades: most popular female Marvel superhero

DC has always had Wonder Woman as their undisputed #1 female character from the 1940s through today (though Harley Quinn is now a clear- cut #2 since 2010).

What about Marvel?
    They have no equivalent to Diana, but I do think I've the decade, different women have worn the crown.

I'd say:

1960s: Susan Storm-Richards
    1970s: ???
    1980s: Jennifer Walters
    1990s: Ororo Munroe
    2000s: ???
    2010s: Carol Danvers

I may be off, so please provide your own lists.

Is Carol the most popular? Is this by sales? Or by fans?

Extraordinary Member

Late 90s to early 2000s (95-2005) they were really pushing Elektra.

But I guess for 2000s you could say Spider-Girl.

I would say during the Bronze Age Red Sonja was popular.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I'd say:

1970s: Wanda in the 1st half; Jean (Phoenix) ruled the 2nd
    1980s: Storm (the 80's was the height of her popularity)
    1990s: I would say She-Hulk or Electra
    2000s: Emma Frost (I know there is a lot of X-women, but Marvel really has a bad track record with uplifting their female heroes.
    2010s: Carol Danvers or Black Widow (thanks to the movies)

Hard to say, as most of Marvel's female heroines were or are part of ensembles. (X-Men, Avengers)

1960's: the Invisible Woman seems a good bet, as the FF was both the first and best selling Marvel title at the time.

1970's: A case could be made for Storm of the X-Men, Jean Grey and the beginnings of the Phoenix Saga, or Spiderwoman who also appeared around this time, and had a bit of a push with her own short lived cartoon series. Will Evans pointed out Red Sonja as well.

1980's: She-Hulk had a solo and was often the "go to" for Marvel merch, I definitely remember her commercial appearance alongside Spidey, Cap, and Silver Surfer shilling "White Castle" kid meals! Firestar was also somewhat popular due to the animated media and a few live costumed appearances. Dark Phoenix also occurred here, and she was the main Marvel baddie of the X-Men/ Titans crossover, allied alongside major DC baddie Darkseid.

1990's: Perhaps a Jim Lee drawn Rogue(?), who was also a major player on the X-Men Animated series. Storm also works here as well for the same reasons, she also defeated Wonder Woman in the Marvel vs. DC crossover event.

2000's: I'm sure to get some flak for this, but Emma Frost was a major player in both the X-titles and some events (House of M) around this time. Her solo book was even outselling Marvel's other solo female books (Spider-Girl, Mystique, etc.) as well as DC's icons (Wonder Woman, Batgirl, even Harley Quinn!) when it debuted in 2003.

2010's: Carol Danvers (Even if comic book sales and merchandise revenue don't reflect it, Marvel pushed her hard for the cinematic universe.) You couldn't avoid her even if you tried.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Spectacular Member

DC has always had Wonder Woman as their undisputed #1 female character from the 1940s through today (though Harley Quinn is now a clear- cut #2 since 2010).

What about Marvel?
    They have no equivalent to Diana, but I do think I've the decade, different women have worn the crown.

I'd say:

what is the metric for this? Most featured? Best storylines? Best sales? I agree with most of your list but was just curious as to how you made it.

If being a super heroine wasn't a requirement, I'd give the 70's spot to MJ. But if I have to pick a superheroine, I'd say either Spider-Woman or Valkyrie. 2000's is a lot tougher but I'll say X-23.

BANNED

Decade-wise popularity of female superheroes is very hard to measure. For instance, it is going to be hard to impossible to argue that Susan Storm has ever been popular, certainly not in the classic Lee-Kirby era. And even then she has never been the most popular female character Marvel put out in a certain period.

I'd say,

The Sixties -- I think a case can be made that the biggest and most popular female character in this era was Mary Jane Watson from Spider-Man comics, a civilian rather than any female superhero. Gerry Conway and others often said that she was the best female character in that period. Among female superheroes, Susan Storm, Janet van Dyne probably have this tied along with Lee-Kirby Jean Grey. But this was generally the weakest decade in Marvel for female superheroes.

The Seventies -- No arguments, it's Jean Grey who became the Phoenix from 1976 onwards, being a major part of the Claremont-Byrne-Cockrum run that culminated in The Dark Phoenix Saga story of 1980.

The Eighties -- A tie between Storm and Elektra. Frank Miller's Elektra was maybe the most influential female character of this decade, and made an immediate impact in that she headlined OGN centered entirely around her despite appearing in a few issues before being killed off. She also influenced other comics and creators.

The Nineties -- Storm, and also Kitty Pryde. Kitty of course originated in the 80s but I think the Excalibur run in the 90s was the height of her popularity.

The 2000s -- Emma Frost and Jessica Jones. Grant Morrison revived her in a big way in his landmark run on New X-Men. Bendis' Jessica Jones likewise became a solid permanent new character introduced to Marvel and became part of his run on New Avengers.

The 2010s -- Kamala Khan and Carol Danvers (also maybe Spider-Gwen and Shuri). Kamala Khan for being the trailblazing YA success she is, and Carol Danvers for becoming a fourth pillar of the Avengers alongside Tony, Cap, Thor. Spider-Gwen for sporting maybe the best new costume design of the lot. Shuri from the Black Panther movie is far more popular and beloved than the rest but that hasn't translated to comics as yet.

1960s: invisible Woman because she was the first one
    1970s: Phoenix Jean
    1980s: She Hulk
    1990s: Storm
    2000s: x-23
    2010s: Captain Marvel with the help of the company

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

This one is tough, because a person's popularity tends to start in one decade, but peak in another. Here's my take:

1960: The Invisible Woman - The Wasp was a very close second, though.

1970: The Phoenix (Jean Grey) - The X-Men started the decade in reprint, but under Claremont & Byrne they practically carried the industry with Jean at the heart of one of the most epic stories ever

1980: Storm - Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman, She-Hulk and others all had their own individual series, but Storm reigned supreme for much of this decade and arguably well into the 90s and 00s; the Wind Rider is a perennial force of nature

1990: She-Hulk - credit John Byrne here. Casting Jen as Ben's replacement in the FF was the nitrous that her career needed. Jen would get a Graphic Novel, and multiple series going forward. She's always on everyone's shortlist for a team roster

2000: Elektra - What started in Daredevil years prior would blossom into a full mythos all her own. We'd eventually see Elektra get her own movie. Few saw that happening back when she was first created.

2010: Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) - And she's just getting started. I suspect when we look back at this decade years from now Kamala will stand out even more, although fans of characters like Squirrel Girl and Spider Gwen will have their say as well

2020: Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) - It's her decade to lose, but even with Marvel clearing the path for her, fans ultimately will determine if Carol can keep this spot for the entire decade. I have my doubts....
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 07-06-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Is Carol the most popular? Is this by sales? Or by fans?
    Box office: 1.128 billion USD
    Budget: 152 million USD (2018)
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member

I remember when Marvel was at its most popular seeming like hot cakes (circa X-men #1 in 1991), the only female titles were She-Hulk and Silver Sable.

BANNED

60s: Sue
    70s: Jean grey
    80s: Storm
    90s: Storm
    00s: Emma frost?
    10s: Wanda/Widow/Cap Marvel

Astonishing Member

60s: Someone said Mary Jane and I think they're right. If we had to pick a superhero, it would be Sue or Janet but almost by default. They were in successful team books and were kinda iconic, but that's about it.

70s: The rise of Claremont's X-Men, so I would say Storm and Jean Grey.

80s: She-Hulk and the X-Women, but replace Jean Grey with Kitty Pryde. Elektra and Black Cat are honorable mentions as they were pretty popular anti-heroes to their protagonists.

90s: Still She-Hulk and the X-Women, but add in Rogue. Maybe also add in Pyslocke as the X-Woman always there and that people remember being on the covers, even if she never reached the popularity of Storm/Kitty/Rogue.

00's: Still She-Hulk and the X-Women, but add Emma Frost to the X-Women and Jessica Jones to the mutates. Black Widow gets an honorable mention as she started getting popular and would peak in the 2010s.

10's: Kamala Khan is the most successful new superhero since Peter Parker. Marvel recreated the success they had in 1962 with her. On top of that, they promoted Carol Danvers and Black Widow to A-Listers this decade. Carol is in the Top Five most important Avengers while Black Widow was the most important female Avenger in film this decade. Spider-Gwen gets an honorable mention for being pretty popular and iconic.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 07-07-2020 at 10:46 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    60s: Someone said Mary Jane and I think they're right. If we had to pick a superhero, it would be Sue or Janet but almost by default. They were in successful team books and were kinda iconic, but that's about it.

70s: The rise of Claremont's X-Men, so I would say Storm and Jean Grey.

80s: She-Hulk and the X-Women, but replace Jean Grey with Kitty Pryde. Elektra and Black Cat are honorable mentions as they were pretty popular anti-heroes to their protagonists.

90s: Still She-Hulk and the X-Women, but add in Rogue. Maybe also add in Pyslocke as the X-Woman always there and that people remember being on the covers, even if she never reached the popularity of Storm/Kitty/Rogue.

00's: Still She-Hulk and the X-Women, but add Emma Frost to the X-Women and Jessica Jones to the mutates. Black Widow gets an honorable mention as she started getting popular and would peak in the 2010s.

10's: Kamala Khan is the most successful new superhero since Peter Parker. Marvel recreated the success they had in 1962 with her. On top of that, they promoted Carol Danvers and Black Widow to A-Listers this decade. Carol is in the Top Five most important Avengers while Black Widow was the most important female Avenger in film this decade. Spider-Gwen gets an honorable mention for being pretty popular and iconic.
    No, thats either miles, bw or gwen herself. Kamala is not where Miles level of exposure as a solo ip thats fpr sure.