Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

I believe Morisi (his creator) always maintained certain rights to his creation, (unlike DCs other Charlton acquisition DC never owned him outright) and if DC wasn't using him, rights would revert back to Morisi.
    So after DC Thunderbolt failed to click, they stopped publication and rights reverted to Morisi (and later his estate after he passed)
    Who (With DC showing no interest in the character) eventually licensed to Dynamite.

Fun fact: both Thunderbolt and Marvel's Iron Fist are thinly revamped copies of Bill Everett's 1940s superhero, Amazing Man.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Fun fact: both Thunderbolt and Marvel's Iron Fist are thinly revamped copies of Bill Everett's 1940s superhero, Amazing Man.
    Do you know that for a fact or that the creators of those characters have said so? Is it just that he went to some secret place in the far east and came back to the west with skills and powers? (I don't know much about him) Because there were a lot of heroes at that time or before (i.e. The Shadow) who fell into that trope.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Do you know that for a fact or that the creators of those characters have said so? Is it just that he went to some secret place in the far east and came back to the west with skills and powers? (I don't know much about him) Because there were a lot of heroes at that time or before (i.e. The Shadow) who fell into that trope.
    Check the link in the post you quoted; it's from Don Markstein's toonopedia. Comparing Markstein's description of each, it's pretty clear that Thunderbolt's story is an almost exact lift of Amazing Man's. As for Iron Fist, he's got a little more space from AM, mainly owing to the influence of 1970s Hong Kong martial arts cinema. However, his creators (Thomas and Kane) explicitly acknowledged the influence of Everett ("a most Amazing Man") in their debut story of the character.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I seems Waller's also going to pick him to lead a new Suicide Squad. If she picked him to lead, I'm going to guess they might dial back a bit on some of his more "insane" characterizations in the past. I hope they find a way to release the rest of his backup from "Inferior Five" - that was kindof interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    My guess is that James Gunn heard the idea of the Peacemaker and decided to put his stamp on the character. Interviews with John Cena have described the way the character's going to be presented as a "douchey Captain America." And I have to assume they both loved that take so much they both signed on to do a series, so DC naturally invoked corporate synergy to bring the character into the foreground of the comics again.

And yeah, I hated the way DC handled replacing both Blue Beetle and the Question and I'm glad those deaths have been reversed. I've finally grown okay with the Jaime Blue Beetle, but it honestly took Ted coming back to finally make it happen...before, it was always one attempt after another to push a character who only existed as a replacement to my favorite. And I always felt Renee becoming the Question actually hurt her character...she didn't NEED to become the Question to be cool, she was already cool in her own right. I still believe it only happened because Gotham Central was getting cancelled and Greg Rucka had made her a pet character, so this was a desperate attempt to keep her "relevant," which is kind of a garbage move.
    Yes, I am looking to forward to picking up the new Suicide Squad issue series in March with the Peacemaker at the helm. Should be fun!!!

As for Montoya, I would have mellowed on the issue, but the producer of Arrow wanted to use Vic Sage as the Question, but was apparently denied by DC who had other plans for the character...I'm almost certain those other plans were in relation to the Harley and Birds of Prey movie. I have loved the Birds of Prey since their first incarnation under Dixon, but that was a total turn off for me.

DC has to stop doing this to their readership, why should one more popular version of a character be sidelined for the potential promotion of another? Anyways I'm just happy both Vic Sage and Ted Kord are back.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    As for Montoya, I would have mellowed on the issue, but the producer of Arrow wanted to use Vic Sage as the Question, but was apparently denied by DC who had other plans for the character...I'm almost certain those other plans were in relation to the Harley and Birds of Prey movie. I have loved the Birds of Prey since their first incarnation under Dixon, but that was a total turn off for me.

DC has to stop doing this to their readership, why should one more popular version of a character be sidelined for the potential promotion of another? Anyways I'm just happy both Vic Sage and Ted Kord are back.
    The Arrow producers also cast Brandon Routh for Arrow Season 3, planning to have him play Ted Kord, with every intention of him becoming Blue Beetle (complete with KORD company name-dropping as far back as Season 1).
    But DC told them he was off-limits, so Routh's very Ted Kord-like character was renamed Ray Palmer, and made into The Atom. He never acted a thing like comic book Ray, but was always a lot like Ted -- a genius inventor who used to own his own company, had a goofy charm and self-deprecating sense of humor that led to him being underestimated and not taken seriously, unlucky in love, eventually starts a "bromance" with a somewhat jockier superhero pal in Legends of Tomorrow, which itself was a lot like a time-traveling Justice League International.
    Last edited by Big Bad Voodoo Lou; 12-26-2020 at 05:39 PM.
    Author of the law review article "The Lawyer as Superhero: How Marvel Comics' Daredevil Depicts the American Court System and Legal Practice," Capital University Law Review, Vol. 47, No. 2 (2019).
    Download it for free at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3389544

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Voodoo Lou View Post
    The Arrow producers also cast Brandon Routh for Arrow Season 3, planning to have him play Ted Kord, with every intention of him becoming Blue Beetle (complete with KORD company name-dropping as far back as Season 1).
    But DC told them he was off-limits, so Routh's very Ted Kord-like character was renamed Ray Palmer, and made into The Atom. He never acted a thing like comic book Ray, but was always a lot like Ted -- a genius inventor who used to own his own company, had a goofy charm and self-deprecating sense of humor that led to him being underestimated and not taken seriously, unlucky in love, eventually starts a "bromance" with a somewhat jockier superhero pal in Legends of Tomorrow, which itself was a lot like a time-traveling Justice League International.
    I remember hearing about CW not being able to get Ted, but you really nailed all the Kord-ness that managed to bleed through!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Voodoo Lou View Post
    That irke's me. I can understand it a bit more than Montoya because Jamie Reyes is used in more in multi media, so I suppose they want to avoid the confusion of two Blue Beetle's ...but is it really that big of a deal?

The Question being a no go in an Arrow series that features Hub City still has the steam coming out of my ears....but than again DC has been sidelining and killing off popular heroes to promote less popular heroes for years now.

That's why I read more Marvel these days honestly.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    From Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XVII (July 1986)

So was Eve supposed to have been inspired by Phantom Lady? They're both daughters of U.S. senators and used very similar tools. The main difference being that Eve originally had super powers while Sandra only got those later after crossing over to the DC earth.
    Nightshade would be a good TV series.

I’ve always loved that version of Nightshade, and that costume is awesome.

Funny thing is DC never had the rights to Peter Canon, Thunderbolt. They only thought they did. When Charlton was finally going out of business, Pete Morisi bought back his creation. Later DC came calling. To buy the action heroes. DC asked Charlton if Peter Canon was also part of what they were buying, Charlton said he was. Basically Charlton sold him twice. Many years later DC was informed that Pete Morisi, not DC, owned Peter Canon. So, either Morisi was unaware for a little over a decade that DC was using his property without his consent; or he was letting them do it that long, in order to extort a large amount of money from them. At this point, who knows?
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

If i owned DC, the company's setup would be an infinite DC Multiverse. All versions of DC's characters would be available to be used in new stories. This means there would be several Charlton earths, plus at least one or two Fox earths.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    Funny thing is DC never had the rights to Peter Canon, Thunderbolt. They only thought they did. When Charlton was finally going out of business, Pete Morisi bought back his creation. Later DC came calling. To buy the action heroes. DC asked Charlton if Peter Canon was also part of what they were buying, Charlton said he was. Basically Charlton sold him twice. Many years later DC was informed that Pete Morisi, not DC, owned Peter Canon. So, either Morisi was unaware for a little over a decade that DC was using his property without his consent; or he was letting them do it that long, in order to extort a large amount of money from them. At this point, who knows?
    Did somebody get sued over this?

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Did somebody get sued over this?

Not that i am aware of. At the time DC seemed to have big plans for Peter Canon, then suddenly the character was never again seen (or even simply mentioned) in anything published by DC. A large amount of money demanded & at the same time a lawsuit threatened. That would explain DC's sudden aversion to that character.

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XII (February 1986)

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XXIII (January 1987)

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    That was a brilliant take on Ted. It showed an understanding of the character, paid respect to both his original and reimagined personality traits, and it worked.
    Agreed.
    If it's the only screen-time Ted ever gets, it was a good one.