Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    Not that i am aware of. At the time DC seemed to have big plans for Peter Canon, then suddenly the character was never again seen (or even simply mentioned) in anything published by DC. A large amount of money demanded & at the same time a lawsuit threatened. That would explain DC's sudden aversion to that character.
    Sounds like DC should have sued someone for not selling them Peter Canon.

Bates, Weisman and Broderick's Captain Atom was fantastic. One of the best Post-COIE of all. It kind of took a downspin after Broderick left, though.
    The fairly recent 6 issue mini-0series was also pretty good. To bad DC seems to still be obsessed with the Dr. Manhattan versions.

Peace

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Bates, Weisman and Broderick's Captain Atom was fantastic. One of the best Post-COIE of all. It kind of took a downspin after Broderick left, though.
    The fairly recent 6 issue mini-0series was also pretty good. To bad DC seems to still be obsessed with the Dr. Manhattan versions.

Peace
    Agreed, Captain Atom is criminally underrated; an interesting backstory and a interesting supporting cast and rogues gallery (especially from General Wade Eiling).

The fairly recent 6 issue mini-series was also pretty good. To bad DC seems to still be obsessed with the Dr. Manhattan versions.
    At least DC didn't make Captain Atom the villain Monarch in Armageddon 2001 as was originally planned back in 1991. (That possibility would be addressed years later.)

Mighty Member

How about Dr. Graves, Ditko's toned down Dr. Strange?

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    How about Dr. Graves, Ditko's toned down Dr. Strange?
    DC didn't pick up all of Charlton's comic book characters. As far as I'm aware, it was just primarily the 1960s "Action Heroes" line that Dick Giordano had been involved with.

And even that had some limitations on what Charlton still had the rights to sell ...

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. IV (June 1985)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    DC didn't pick up all of Charlton's comic book characters. As far as I'm aware, it was just primarily the 1960s "Action Heroes" line that Dick Giordano had been involved with.

And even that had some limitations on what Charlton still had the rights to sell ...
    How long was Peter Canon - Thunderbolt in the DCU before the rights went back to his creator?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    How long was Peter Canon - Thunderbolt in the DCU before the rights went back to his creator?
    He had a book set in the DCU about Justice League Europe time, though not for long. Dunno how I got an old issue of it, lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    Agreed, Captain Atom is criminally underrated; an interesting backstory and a interesting supporting cast and rogues gallery (especially from General Wade Eiling).
    One of my favorite stories ever. I still remember Captain Atom Annual 1. Felt like a plot to a movie.

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. IV (June 1985)
    To my knowledge, we only got to see this Captain Atom once in the DCU. In a DC Compics Presents with Superman and Firestorm. The art of that issue was also by Cowan and Magyar (who did this piece).

Peace

To my knowledge, we only got to see this Captain Atom once in the DCU. In a DC Comics Presents with Superman and Firestorm. The art of that issue was also by Cowan and Magyar (who did this piece).
    He also was in Crisis on Infinite Earths

and in the History of the DC Universe

but in terms of any major focus on Captain Atom, they had definitely changed him by the time Captain Atom #1 came out in late 1986.

from Who's Who Update '87 Vol. 1 (August 1987)

He also was in Crisis on Infinite Earths

and in the History of the DC Universe
    Yes, of course, but that DC Comics Presents was, to my knowledge, the only appearence of the classic Charlton Captain Atom in the DCU itself before he was properly readapted to the Post COIE continuity. Despite being a HUGE fan of the Weissman/ Broderick Captain Atom, I've always had a special place in my heart for that tale. It's sort of a taste of what could have been.

Peace

Looks like the Blue Beetle Showcase Short will be spotlighting the Charlton era heroes:

Boisterously Confused

..."AND THEY'RE NOT HALF BAD!" LOL! I don't know who was writing their promotional material at the time, but it was no Stan Lee.

In other notes, I preferred the story DC gave Captain Atom, but I preferred the original's power-set. I also liked the idea that he could exhaust his energies and his power would wane. It allowed for a character that could be nigh-invincible, but who could also wind up getting his noggin thumped by a random thug if he stayed at it too long.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 05-19-2021 at 02:00 PM.