Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    He had some really great runs. His Fantastic Four is still a good read today.
    I started reading FF when I picked up #188, but I didn't become a hardcore fan until Byrne's run. I love everything about it. He used pretty much every FF villain in his run and the stories were amazing. And that art.....unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    IMO, there are three eras of Fantastic Four. Kirby+Lee, Byrne, and all the rest of those guys.
    I would say Lee/Kirby, Byrne and Hickman are the three eras and my three favorite FF runs of all time. And then the rest.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post

I've been in a Charlton Comics Western phase for over a year now so when I think of Byrne it's always Doomsday +1. I've got most of them but I need a couple more and then I'm looking forward to reading it. He's one of the greats.
    I remember finding a copy of Rog2000 and I knew immediately who the artist was. Never heard of the character or anything, but I grabbed the book.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post

I've been in a Charlton Comics Western phase for over a year now so when I think of Byrne it's always Doomsday +1. I've got most of them but I need a couple more and then I'm looking forward to reading it. He's one of the greats.
    So clearly him. As I look back on it, Byrne was one of the first seven artists whose work I could always identify without reading the credits, no matter who inked him.

Ma Sha'a Allah. I keep forgetting 1980 was 40 years ago.
    Happy Birthday Mr. Byrne, I don't know why you've changed your style, but I'll always be a fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I don't care what people say, he made Superman cool again.
    His Superman is cool, but he was cooler before.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Raise a glass to Mr. Byrne!

He's the one who got me into X-Men, loved the art in those early Byrne/Claremont issues. But yes his FF run was second only to Kirby, and man the Kirby/Lee bar is a super high one. Sad that we seem unable to get someone else to write a really good FF. Byrne made it look easy.

And Superman, as has been said. He was a great choice to lead the effort in bringing Superman back to popularity after COIE. My real Superman hero of that era is Ordway, though.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

A Very Happy Birthday indeed to the Byrne-Meister! I started my Fantastic Four with him, and She-Hulk was a member so I followed him to her Sensational solo. He made her my favorite superheroine.

He had the monumental task of doing the covers for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition until #11.

Also he did the cover for Fantaco Enterprises' Fantastic Four Chronicles.

And since I've been delving into Hasbro's IDW titles with G.I. Joe, and the Transformers to a lesser extent during the lockdown, here's a cover Byrne did for IDW in 2016.

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Happy belated bd John Byrne.

I grew up with his works and he sure made an impact on me. So many outstanding books, truly one of the masters.

Incredible Member

While collecting Marvel's Transformers and G.I.Joe comic in the 80's I'd only happen upon Byrne mentioned in various Marvel house ads that I'd figured he was some big shot comic creator back then.

It wasn't until the mid-90's that I got the Marvel Superheroes Megazine that happened to reprint Byrne's brief Hulk run that the artwork immediately got me hooked that I went out to buy back issues of Superman and throughout the years anything that John Byrne had a hand in.