Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TELEVISION: Original cast members who met each other AFTER the first episode

Inspired by caj's many TV-related threads...

When we think of our favorite sitcoms and the cast that we all love, we think they've known each other forever -- even before the series began.

However, that's not always the case. Sometimes the full cast of a show appears in the pilot/first episode or within the first few episodes, but they DON'T already all know each other. Sometimes it takes a few episodes for everyone to meet everyone.

Here are some examples to discuss.

WILL & GRACE - Will and Grace each knew Jack and Karen before the first episode, and while both Jack and Karen appeared in the first episode, they did not know each other or appear in scenes together. They first met in the second episode at Grace's office (the "let's touch stomachs" scene). From there, one of the great sitcom friendships was born.

BEWITCHED - In contrast, one of the great foeships in sitcom history was born on the series Bewitched between Darin and the mother of all mothers-in-law, Endora. But while the antagonistic relationship between Darin and Endora fueled about 90% of the storylines on this series, Darin and Endora did not actually meet each other until episode 4.

FRASIER - One of the big subplots of the series was Niles' infatuation with his father's physical therapist, Daphne. However, Niles did not meet Daphne until the third episode. Niles quickly became a fan-favorite character on the series, but how well would Niles' character be received today? He's a married man who keeps making excuses to get near Daphne to sniff her hair and make veiled double-entendres. In 1993, that was funny, but it's just a #metoo waiting to happen in today's climate.

Which ones can you think of to add to the list? Any post-pilot introductions that you remember fondly?

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

On Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I don't think Angel met any of the other characters besides Buffy until after the first episode.

On Game of Thrones, Daenerys didn't meet any of the other series regulars, except Jorah, until quite a way into the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Inspired by caj's many TV-related threads...

When we think of our favorite sitcoms and the cast that we all love, we think they've known each other forever -- even before the series began.

However, that's not always the case. Sometimes the full cast of a show appears in the pilot/first episode or within the first few episodes, but they DON'T already all know each other. Sometimes it takes a few episodes for everyone to meet everyone.

Here are some examples to discuss.

WILL & GRACE - Will and Grace each knew Jack and Karen before the first episode, and while both Jack and Karen appeared in the first episode, they did not know each other or appear in scenes together. They first met in the second episode at Grace's office (the "let's touch stomachs" scene). From there, one of the great sitcom friendships was born.

BEWITCHED - In contrast, one of the great foeships in sitcom history was born on the series Bewitched between Darin and the mother of all mothers-in-law, Endora. But while the antagonistic relationship between Darin and Endora fueled about 90% of the storylines on this series, Darin and Endora did not actually meet each other until episode 4.

FRASIER - One of the big subplots of the series was Niles' infatuation with his father's physical therapist, Daphne. However, Niles did not meet Daphne until the third episode. Niles quickly became a fan-favorite character on the series, but how well would Niles' character be received today? He's a married man who keeps making excuses to get near Daphne to sniff her hair and make veiled double-entendres. In 1993, that was funny, but it's just a #metoo waiting to happen in today's climate.

Which ones can you think of to add to the list? Any post-pilot introductions that you remember fondly?
    Also, Larry Tate was not introduced until a few episodes into Bewitched.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I don't think Niles' character is capable of sexual assault. His wife being terrible made the character's actions understandable. I doubt anyone's writing that in to a show now, and I haven't watched the show in a while, but I don't think it's exactly #metoo

Maybe I'm wrong, though?

Witcher pretty much?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Comic Reader Lad, thanks for the props. I'm glad some of you enjoy my silly tv threads.

On Mary Tyler Moore, while Rhoda met Lou in the first episode, she did not meet Murray and Ted until further into the first season.

On The Andy Griffith Show, Aunt Bee and Barney both appear in the first episode where Aunt Bee comes to live with Andy and Opie, but they do not meet in that episode.

On NEW GIRL, Winston replaced Coach in ep. 2. Even though the guys already knew him, Jessie didn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I don't think Niles' character is capable of sexual assault. His wife being terrible made the character's actions understandable. I doubt anyone's writing that in to a show now, and I haven't watched the show in a while, but I don't think it's exactly #metoo

Maybe I'm wrong, though?
    Daphne and Niles is one of the cutest romances in TV history, screw #metoo!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    ...On The Andy Griffith Show, Aunt Bee and Barney both appear in the first episode where Aunt Bee comes to live with Andy and Opie, but they do not meet in that episode.
    Minor qualification on that one. If I remember right, Barney was Andy's cousin (they almost never brought it up, but early on, they made it clear that Barney would never have gotten a job without Andy flexing some nepotism). So, in show, it seems likely that Barney and Aunt Bea would have met before, being family and all. I call it a minor qualification as I can see scenarios where they hadn't; I've got cousins I've never met.

Extraordinary Member

Riding on the coat-tails of Bewitched, in I Dream of Jeannie, Roger doesn't meet Jeannie until further into season 1. While Dr. Bellows will see Jeannie in all kinds of situations, he doesn't officially meet her until season 5 when Jeannie and Tony get engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post

Maybe I'm wrong, though?
    You are not wrong.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Minor qualification on that one. If I remember right, Barney was Andy's cousin (they almost never brought it up, but early on, they made it clear that Barney would never have gotten a job without Andy flexing some nepotism). So, in show, it seems likely that Barney and Aunt Bea would have met before, being family and all. I call it a minor qualification as I can see scenarios where they hadn't; I've got cousins I've never met.
    Yes, they spoke of Barney being Andy's cousin once or twice in the early years. We know Bee raised Andy when he was younger and we know Andy and Barney went to high school together so we don't really know when Bee left Mayberry and if Barney was born and raised there or came there later on.

Also, since her name is Taylor, we know Bee was related to Andy on his father's side. We don't know which side Barney is from.

But odds are they had met before. They just didn't share a scene together until further into season one.

The Expanse starts with 3 storylines, all of which impact each other but two of them converge near the end of season 1. Two of the leading protagonists from their respective storylines never actually meet.

Fonzie originally appeared in a windbreaker, and his leather jacket (along with a more traditional greaser attitude) wasn't introduced to everyone until the third episode or so. He also was originally conceived as a minor character, but by the end of the season he was so popular that the producers were considering re-naming the show after him.

But I am also pretty sure he hadn't met everyone until he became popular as a character.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 07-07-2020 at 04:42 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

This may not count, but on Cheers, I'm not sure that Diane and Cliff officially meet in the first episode. She is in the bar when Cliff and several other bar patrons are involved with a discussion of the movie with the most sweat. She even comments to Sumner about the conversation (of which, Sumner answers "Cool Hand Luke" to everyone's approval). However, I don't believe the two ever speak directly to each other.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Fonzie originally appeared in a windbreaker, and his leather jacket (along with a more traditional greaser attitude) wasn't introduced to everyone until the third episode or so. He also was originally conceived as a minor character, but by the end of the season he was so popular that the producers were considering re-naming the show after him.

But I am also pretty sure he hadn't met everyone until he became popular as a character.
    Yeah, pretty sure he didn't meet Richie's family until the Christmas episode in season one. He certainly didn't have the kind of adopted family-member status that evolved later.