• Iron Man by David Michelinie

2 3.28%
  • Incredible Hulk by Peter David

3 4.92%
  • Captain America by Mark Gruenwald

5 8.20%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I recently brought the new mutants issues in Claremont run starting in issue 18 to 54. I dismissed it when i was checking out Claremont X-men at first in back in high school because well I wanted the title with the cool Wolverine Nightcrawler, Colossus, Storm, Rogue, Cyclops but man i know im late in this game but the New mutants(Danielle, Robert, Sam, Illyana, Amara, Rahne, Doug, Warlocke were just as compelling) were probably just as good and up there with the main x-men title in the 80s.

Spectacular Member

For me, it has to be Spider-Man by J.M DeMatteis, X-Men by Chris Claremont and Fantastic Four by John Byrne. As a kid my parents would buy trade paperbacks of these comics and from there, i became a fan!

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    I recently brought the new mutants issues in Claremont run starting in issue 18 to 54. I dismissed it when i was checking out Claremont X-men at first in back in high school because well I wanted the title with the cool Wolverine Nightcrawler, Colossus, Storm, Rogue, Cyclops but man i know im late in this game but the New mutants(Danielle, Robert, Sam, Illyana, Amara, Rahne, Doug, Warlocke were just as compelling) were probably just as good and up there with the main x-men title in the 80s.
    It was the best Mutant book of the 80’s.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I really couldn't choose. It was a close tie between Claremont's X-Men, Sterns Avengers and Spider-Man and Walt Simonson's Thor. Runner up : Byrnes FF Honorable mention: Byrnes Alpha Flight, would have prefered a multiple choice poll.

A personal favorite would be the JRJR/Nocenti run on...

Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    A personal favorite would be the JRJR/Nocenti run on...

Daredevil

This run was incredible. Me and my cousin who got me into comics talk about it all the time.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Miller's Daredevil.

So many great runs at Marvel during the 80's but if I had to pick one. That's my choice.
    Batman - Daredevil

Claremont's 80's run is probably the gold standard by which all comic runs should be judged, so of course I had to pick it from the list.

I liked Daredevil a lot better... but in terms of influence, i really think i had to got with Peter David's Hulk. The multiple personalities the different bodies and forms... it's soemthing that is still being played with today and he really made that an ingrained part of the character.

My vote is Miller's Daredevil and more specifically because of Born Again. While I enjoyed Miller's original run immensely, I actually like Bendis' run better. However, Born Again for me is the single greatest story in comics that I have read. The only thing I have read that came close is King's Vision. Miller's writing in that story was so profound and not just for Matt. I know many Cap fans that say that there favorite line from him is "I'm loyal to nothing general expect the dream".

Then we have Mazzucchelli's art which is just amazing. So many great panels!

Daredevil Pieta.jpg

images (1).jpg

0bb4414dfbb153ace38d6aa2a782f04be60a628d_hq.jpg

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    My vote is Miller's Daredevil and more specifically because of Born Again. While I enjoyed Miller's original run immensely, I actually like Bendis' run better. However, Born Again for me is the single greatest story in comics that I have read. The only thing I have read that came close is King's Vision. Miller's writing in that story was so profound and not just for Matt. I know many Cap fans that say that there favorite line from him is "I'm loyal to nothing general expect the dream".

Daredevil Pieta.jpg

images (1).jpg

Another Cap quote that often gets overlooked due to the “dream” quote.

“A soldier with a voice that could command a god...and DOES.”

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post

Daredevil Pieta.jpg

images (1).jpg

A favorite of mine, as well. Also, great artwork from Mazzucchelli...

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Another Cap quote that often gets overlooked due to the “dream” quote.

“A soldier with a voice that could command a god...and DOES.”
    Agreed. An all-time classic, IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    A favorite of mine, as well. Also, great artwork from Mazzucchelli...

Agreed. An all-time classic, IMHO...

As I was reflecting on the story even more, another great Cap moment that often goes unnoticed, with more great writing from Miller.

soldier(2).jpg

I must say it would have been interesting to see him write a Captain America story during the prime years. Certainly wouldn't want him anywhere near the character now!
    Last edited by macjr33; 07-09-2020 at 05:41 AM.

I voted Miller's Daredevil, the; break the hero, take everything away from them, see what emerges is one of the most compelling, solid arcs.
    For pure joy reading, I could have easily gone X-Men
    However I agree these are worthy additions to the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    S Larry hama's gijoe run had some great stories also for over 155 issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I’d also add Moench on Moon Knight...a little underrrated run if you ask me.
    Especially
    would you all consider claremont new mutants(especially with part of his x-men run or separate. bill sienkiewicz issues seems to be the new mutants peak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    New Mutants-Chris Claremont
    New mutants... were probably just as good and up there with the main x-men title in the 80s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    It was the best Mutant book of the 80’s.
    All though a huge part of the draw in those last two was Sinkovich alone.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-09-2020 at 07:52 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by etrumble View Post
    I was going to vote Claremont's X-men also(highest marks possible).

But if we are only including '80s runs, we are really talking 132-on(so Hellfire Club/Dark Phoenix forward). With that criteria, I ended up voting for Byrne's Fantastic Four(my favorite FF run).
    I also voted Byrne's FF. But even if we are only talking Dark Phoenix on, I can still see how somebody would pick Claremont's X-Men. It was really tough to select just one.