Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I like the blend approach, because it makes Krypton feel more like a real planet, and not some monoculture like you'd see in Star Trek or giant single environmental biome like a planet on Star Wars (this entire world is a swamp! this one's a desert! this one's an ocean!
    this one's a city!), where every single person on a given planet speaks the same language, has the same religion, dresses the same, etc.

Here on Earth, I can tell when people are *Canadians,* just based on the way they dress and talk and look, and they're pretty much exactly like Americans (just better dressed and fitter), but live 50 miles north of me, so I like the idea that not every Kryptonian dresses like the Byrne Kryptonians, and not all architecture on Krypton looks like that of Mignola, etc.
    I agree, I think Krypton with all its various interpretations depicted as different clans or historical eras of Krypton, makes it feel more like a real planet than anything else in sci-fi in terms of diversity. And I love that each new version of Krypton adds to it. The specifics of Jor-El & Lara may change over and over again, but what they represented gets rolled into Krypton's fabric.

I always liked the idea that, in the earliest days, the Science Council of Krypton was the Justice League of its day, before calcifying and becoming the arrogant cause of their homeworld's demise.

I think an El helped found the Science Council, too. Val-L certainly has the coolest name.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Back to exploding planet, has it always exploded? I only read very little of post-crisis and new 52 Krypton but the impression I got was it corroded instead of exploding, cover images aside

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Back to exploding planet, has it always exploded? I only read very little of post-crisis and new 52 Krypton but the impression I got was it corroded instead of exploding, cover images aside
    As far as I know, it has always gone BOOM.

It's ACTION comics, man

I mean, JJ Abrams tried to not blow it up once and the internet melted down.

It’s always blown up as far as I can recall.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah, the explosion behind the ship is way too iconic.

Someone else hit on this, but my issue with the "blended" approach is not remembering how it worked in New Krypton. Reborn never got deeper than a few pages.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Yeah, the explosion behind the ship is way too iconic.

Someone else hit on this, but my issue with the "blended" approach is not remembering how it worked in New Krypton. Reborn never got deeper than a few pages.
    The only way blended Krypton works is if the creators have got a clear vision for Jor-El and Lara, but the Krypton behind them is made up of all the various incarnations. Blended Jor-El and Lara could just end up being watered down.

Thankfully, only Jurgens Jor-El has felt that way to me so far. I never got an idea of who that guy really was. He felt like a plot device, not a person. Morrison's Jor-El had personality. Bendis's Jor-El had stuff going on. Even Johns's Jor-El was more than just a Donner rehash.

At first I thought Bendis did a great job of developing that version of Jor El, then things... turned out weird. It's hard I'm sure because the "right" use of Jor El means dying and going away if you're not doing an elseworlds or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    At first I thought Bendis did a great job of developing that version of Jor El, then things... turned out weird. It's hard I'm sure because the "right" use of Jor El means dying and going away if you're not doing an elseworlds or something.
    Agreed, I didn't particularly care for the story Bendis was telling with Jor-El, but he definitely had a clear vision of who his Jor-El was, unlike Jurgens, who didn't seem to have any distinct personality. He was just a list of plot-points because editorial had to figure out what to do with Mr. Oz since Johns left it up in the air.

Byrne's Jor-El was another one that had a very strong take on the character, even if it's one I found largely uninteresting. However, Snyder & Goyer's Jor-El owes a huge debt to Byrne's and I love that version, in all its dinosaur flying craziness.

Waid's Jor-El is similar. Strong vision, but not one I liked. Too much of a sad sack, although it was interesting to see Lara finally get to be the one with a spine after Byrne's awful take.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

So I remember something... In New 52 Superman Savage Dawn there's Im-El who warned Krypton of a coming meteor, so he created a missile to destroy it. The fragments of the meteor then landed on earth and were found by Vandal Savage. It gave him his immortality.

The story said it was 50,000 years ago earth time. Even when Kryptonian can live 100-200 years long, this New 52 Im-El is the oldest El I know.

He, as far as I know, only appeared in that one short flashback of Vandal Savage's back story though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    As far as I know, it has always gone BOOM.

It's ACTION comics, man

I mean, JJ Abrams tried to not blow it up once and the internet melted down.
    Well, in the movies it was the sun that went BOOM......can we say Krypton still exploded if it was just ripped apart by its exploding star?

I know, I'm just splitting hairs.....

As for Jor-El, he never should have been brought back in the first place. I don't know if it was Johns' original intent to have Oz be Jor-El but whoever came up with it; it was a bad idea, and Bendis just did what he could with what he was given. Which is funny; we always complain about him ignoring continuity and here he is working with the continuity and we're still bitching. I think Bendis did some....interesting....stuff with Jor, and conceptually it had some merit (a senile old Kryptonian? Scary *and* sad) but the best thing Bendis did was put Jor-El back where he belongs; the grave.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Retired

Probably not in continuity now, but in my headcanon Krypton is a large planet with greater gravity than Earth. As such it has lots of land. I would say there are billions of people living on the planet but, because of the land mass, different civilizations live far away from each. We know a lot about the House of El only because that's Superman's family. So our perspective on the history is warped because we mainly see it through the view of Superman and his relations. In KRYPTON CHRONICLES (1981), it was all about the history of the El family--inspired by ROOTS from T.V.

One reason we don't see all the other people living on Krypton is because the distances are so great. To travel by land would take a long time. I assume they mostly travel by air or sea. However, to fly would take a lot of energy because of the gravity. So probably only the super-rich make journeys well beyond the borders of their civilizations. And even then the travel time would be challenging.

Thus a lot of travel is virtual. They meet each other "online" and probably in sophisticated holographic form.

The back-up stories in the 1970s and the 1980s gave a much broader view of Krypton's past, with many different kinds of cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Agreed, I didn't particularly care for the story Bendis was telling with Jor-El, but he definitely had a clear vision of who his Jor-El was, unlike Jurgens, who didn't seem to have any distinct personality. He was just a list of plot-points because editorial had to figure out what to do with Mr. Oz since Johns left it up in the air.

Byrne's Jor-El was another one that had a very strong take on the character, even if it's one I found largely uninteresting. However, Snyder & Goyer's Jor-El owes a huge debt to Byrne's and I love that version, in all its dinosaur flying craziness.

Waid's Jor-El is similar. Strong vision, but not one I liked. Too much of a sad sack, although it was interesting to see Lara finally get to be the one with a spine after Byrne's awful take.
    I feel for Jurgens because I don't think anyone who got stuck with that mess could salvage Mr Oz.

As far as Lara goes, I like the modern attempts to compensate for her underwhelming history. It was the thing I thought Lobdell did his best on, easily. I give Byrne credit for at least finally giving her a more distinguished job than wife/mother, and for making her the Kryptonian pov. That reasonable yet hilarious shriek at her unborn son being delivered to a planet full of pitchfork wielding monkeys lol.

So I remember something... In New 52 Superman Savage Dawn there's Im-El who warned Krypton of a coming meteor, so he created a missile to destroy it. The fragments of the meteor then landed on earth and were found by Vandal Savage. It gave him his immortality.

The story said it was 50,000 years ago earth time. Even when Kryptonian can live 100-200 years long, this New 52 Im-El is the oldest El I know.

He, as far as I know, only appeared in that one short flashback of Vandal Savage's back story though.
    Like Jim said they went way back in Chronicles and in other stories went to the beginning of the popularity with essentially an Adam and Eve story. Later, Van-L became the most distinct El besides Jor, and his story also started many thousands of years prior.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    One reason we don't see all the other people living on Krypton is because the distances are so great. To travel by land would take a long time. I assume they mostly travel by air or sea. However, to fly would take a lot of energy because of the gravity. So probably only the super-rich make journeys well beyond the borders of their civilizations. And even then the travel time would be challenging.

Thus a lot of travel is virtual. They meet each other "online" and probably in sophisticated holographic form.
    Our own world doesn't even need the high-gravity/expensive to travel excuse, we are getting progressively more prone to working from home, and doing things virtually (I've played a heck of a lot more MMOs than tabletop RPGs in the last decade!), and that was *before* COVID-19. I could definitely see Krypton as being a thousand years past that, total stay-at-homes, everything delivered and all meetings virtual, with the residents not necessarily having been outside of their city block / local enclave for years (if ever!).

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, in the movies it was the sun that went BOOM......can we say Krypton still exploded if it was just ripped apart by its exploding star?

I know, I'm just splitting hairs.....

As for Jor-El, he never should have been brought back in the first place. I don't know if it was Johns' original intent to have Oz be Jor-El but whoever came up with it; it was a bad idea, and Bendis just did what he could with what he was given. Which is funny; we always complain about him ignoring continuity and here he is working with the continuity and we're still bitching. I think Bendis did some....interesting....stuff with Jor, and conceptually it had some merit (a senile old Kryptonian? Scary *and* sad) but the best thing Bendis did was put Jor-El back where he belongs; the grave.
    The original plan for Mr. Oz was clearly making him Jonathan Kent. Then he was Ozymandis. Then Johns got cold feet or changed his mind and so they made him Jor-El.