Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Retired

My fan fiction is originally they were humans that had bio-engineered themselves into super-beings and dominated the galaxy thereafter. However, others rebelled against them and imprisoned them on Krypton. A virus introduced to their genes shut off most of their powers under red spectrum radiation and the intense gravity of Krypton countered their powers of flight and super-strength. The original Kryptonians could not escape the prison planet. And an ultimate fail-safe was built into the core of the planet that would turn it into Kryptonite and kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    One thing that rarely gets discussed is "Why is Krypton such a weird place?"

IIRC some stories had a legend that it was basically a gift from Rao.... and in other stories it's shown that the Kryptonian gods are real in some way. So it being an artificial construct would go a long ways to explaining why it's such a strange place. Which could in the end explain why it exploded. It's not a natural planet so it meets an unnatural end.
    I tend to ask "How do we know it's actually a weird place?"

We have experience with one planet. But what we know of other worlds, some of that stuff is just as weird as what people dreamed up for Krypton. And in the DCU.....well, maybe it's *normal* to have living creatures made of glass and silicon, and volcanoes that spew gold, and regions that are just always burning.

Maybe *earth* is the weird one.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

One thing that rarely gets discussed is "Why is Krypton such a weird place?"

IIRC some stories had a legend that it was basically a gift from Rao.... and in other stories it's shown that the Kryptonian gods are real in some way. So it being an artificial construct would go a long ways to explaining why it's such a strange place. Which could in the end explain why it exploded. It's not a natural planet so it meets an unnatural end.
    Speaking of Rao, was the Rao that came to earth real or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I tend to ask "How do we know it's actually a weird place?"

We have experience with one planet. But what we know of other worlds, some of that stuff is just as weird as what people dreamed up for Krypton. And in the DCU.....well, maybe it's *normal* to have living creatures made of glass and silicon, and volcanoes that spew gold, and regions that are just always burning.

Maybe *earth* is the weird one.
    Some DCU planets are not Earth-normal. But they usually aren't extremely varied like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Woah that looks insanely cool. Very atypical Krypton. Any concept art of his Metropolis?
    Uh, here's one, it's not that detailed on building look but you might get a sense from it. I think there's more if you watch the "Death of Superman Lives" documentary, but it's been a while.

If I recall correctly, they were going to use Pittsburgh as the basis for Metropolis in a similar way to how Chicago was the basis for Gotham in The Dark Knight - but, you know, with more artistic expansion than Nolan used, as you'd expect from Tim Burton I guess, considering how he had Furst and Welch deck out Gotham in his Batman films.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Some DCU planets are not Earth-normal. But they usually aren't extremely varied like that.
    I know, I was being silly.

Though I'd argue that some versions of Thanagar and even Rann are pretty damn wild, and not *too* far from what Krypton saw.

It helps too that Krypton got more attention in the wild days of the Silver Age than other planets. If Thanagar had gone through those decades with tons of books every month, it might've ended up just as wild and crazy.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Uh, here's one, it's not that detailed on building look but you might get a sense from it. I think there's more if you watch the "Death of Superman Lives" documentary, but it's been a while.

If I recall correctly, they were going to use Pittsburgh as the basis for Metropolis in a similar way to how Chicago was the basis for Gotham in The Dark Knight - but, you know, with more artistic expansion than Nolan used, as you'd expect from Tim Burton I guess, considering how he had Furst and Welch deck out Gotham in his Batman films.
    Yeah that looks neat. Kinda wish we had gotten to see it for the sheer spectacle alone lol.

I'm really fond of the Silver Age fantasy Krypton. i loved when the triangle years sort of brought it back. It worked well in stark contrast to the sterile post Crisis Krypton, which I also found fascinating.
    Just for trivia's sake, the radio series had Krypton being in Earth's solar system but hidden on the other side of the sun in a parallel orbit to Earth. It also had baby Kal-El sent in the rocket and arrived on Earth a full grown adult I believe later years retconed the Kents into Superman's background.