Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Young justice 16

Hello,
    I waited for Young Justice 16 to get answers, but I just read in a Review, that it doesnt answer many things like why Bart Allen is back as Impulse etc.

The review also said that Bart travelled to a future in which his Young Justice friends are dead.

Did someone already read this issue?

I was hoping for explanations....

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Hello,
    I waited for Young Justice 16 to get answers, but I just read in a Review, that it doesnt answer many things like why Bart Allen is back as Impulse etc.

The review also said that Bart travelled to a future in which his Young Justice friends are dead.

It would not surprise me. This has been typical of Bendis, even on this run. I dropped the book last issue because I just did not want to keep getting fooled. I am still not even sure how the Superboy story was answered, particularly because the STAR Labs antagonist was not really explained at all.

Fantastic Member

From what I've read, due to an incident with Mirror Master, Bart was caught halfway in another dimension when Flashpoint happened, catapulting him into a potential future where all his friends were dead, before he travelled back to the Present to find that everything had changed, wanting to reassemble the team as a result. The return to Impulse hasn't been explained, though it was made clear that Bart was formerly Kid Flash.

Astonishing Member

You'd think Bart would know that there are disparate and absurd futures that all connect to the main universe. But he was already having a mental breakdown anyhow.

Astonishing Member

Hello,

Bart saw a bad future and got justifiably spooked. The thing is, there's no way of knowing if this future will happen or if it already happened and got erased due to time shenanigans.

I think that Bendis needs to stop trying to explain the mess that is DC continuity and have the YJ cast go on adventures instead.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I think that Bendis needs to stop trying to explain the mess that is DC continuity and have the YJ cast go on adventures instead.
    Bendis trying to make sense of continuity never seemed like a good idea.

YJ is an adventure book, I'd just like to see more character and relationship development on-top of that over continuity explanations.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

YJ is an adventure book, I'd just like to see more character and relationship development on-top of that over continuity explanations.
    Yeah, better writers than him have tried and failed to make sense of DC's continuity. I liked what he was doing with the roster at first, but the oversized cast and his insistence on trying to explain continuity are slowly alienating me. Sometimes you just have to leave well enough alone and write.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Yeah, better writers than him have tried and failed to make sense of DC's continuity. I liked what he was doing with the roster at first, but the oversized cast and his insistence on trying to explain continuity are slowly alienating me. Sometimes you just have to leave well enough alone and write.
    Actually thats with the continuity isnt true.

It would have been EASILY!!!! possible to just say that Cassie,Bart and Conner are the versions from Pre-Flashpoint:
    Bart trapped in the Speed-Force
    Conner trapped in Gemworld
    Cassie also somehow landed somewhere else..

The REAL PROBLEMS are:

SUPERBOY:
    He knows that he is a clone of Luthor/Superman BUT he doesnt know who made him and he doesnt remember the fortress?????????
    Why is he younger than at the end of Pre-Flashpoint??

CASSANDRA SANDSMARK:
    Pre-Flashpoint she was the daughter of Zeus, NEW52 she was the daughter of Lennox...
    Now she is Zeus granddaughter and has a lasso with (seemingly NO POWERS)

BART ALLEN:
    Why is Bart back as Impulse and younger than he was at the end of Pre-Flashpoint??

Here the problem is NOT the continuity, but the changes of the three from Pre-Flashpoint to Rebirth...

SUPERBOYS Story for example was absolutely logical, because in his last run he was wearing the Jeans and T-Shirt and lived in Smallville and went to school there.
    So it would have been no problem to say he is 100% the Version of Pre-Flashpoint and he was just "trapped" in Gemworld...
    The STRANGE thing happened as he talked in last Issue with Superman and didnt know who created him and that Superman has a fortress..

BART ALLENS Story was also absolutely logical for me, because I thought that he wanted to stop Barry Allen from creating Flashpoint and the power of this throw Bart into the Speedforce and trapped him there and he was freed during the race of Barry and Wally...

CASSANDRA SANDMARK was strange for me the WHOLE TIME because he is Zeus granddaughter like NEW52, but has powers like Pre-Flashpoint.

So CONTINUITY wouldnt matter if these 3 were really just 100% the Versions of the END of PRE-FLASHPOINT and were just trapped in Gemworld/Speedforce/....while the continuity changed.....

The problems are rather
    WHY did CONNER forget so many things? I mean on the one hand he knows Martha and Jonathan and they recognize him, but on the other hand he has forgotten that Superman has the fortress and didnt remember who created him...

WHY is CASSANDRA SANDSMARK now different?

WHY is BART back as IMPULSE?

The problem is that most of the cast have had their histories warped or altered due to the New 52 situation. If he just brought everyone back and acted like nothing happened, people would complain about the continuity issues. It was "damned if you do, damned if you don't" for Bendis. Has he handled it the best? No. But he had to address it.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The problem is that most of the cast have had their histories warped or altered due to the New 52 situation. If he just brought everyone back and acted like nothing happened, people would complain about the continuity issues. It was "damned if you do, damned if you don't" for Bendis. Has he handled it the best? No. But he had to address it.
    Yeah, he was caught in a no win situation, but there are times when a writer should just ignore continuity. Over the years many writers have ignored continuity/prior characterization and told the stories they wanted to tell.

I feel like most people wouldn't have complained if the YJ cast were reset to Pre New 52 or before Johns's run.

Quote Originally Posted by ChangingStation View Post
    From what I've read, due to an incident with Mirror Master, Bart was caught halfway in another dimension when Flashpoint happened, catapulting him into a potential future where all his friends were dead, before he travelled back to the Present to find that everything had changed, wanting to reassemble the team as a result. The return to Impulse hasn't been explained, though it was made clear that Bart was formerly Kid Flash.
    Sounds like he just changed back to Impulse on a whim after Teen Titans #100 and before that fight with Mirror Master. But this contradicts his return in Flash #50, which showed him coming out of the Speed Force.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Sounds like he just changed back to Impulse on a whim after Teen Titans #100 and before that fight with Mirror Master. But this contradicts his return in Flash #50, which showed him coming out of the Speed Force.
    DC has been full of contradictions for a long time now. Canon and continuity(or the lack of it) are slowly becoming an anchor that's dragging everything down. I'm slowly reaching the point where I think continuity should be done away with and writers should write the stories they want, using the characters they want.

Mighty Member

Yeah, he was caught in a no win situation, but there are times when a writer should just ignore continuity. Over the years many writers have ignored continuity/prior characterization and told the stories they wanted to tell.

I feel like most people wouldn't have complained if the YJ cast were reset to Pre New 52 or before Johns's run.
    NO...

The EASIEST and BEST way would just have been to take Cassie,Conner,Bart from PRE-FLASHPOINT (END of the TT Run) and say that they were in the Speedforce/ Gemworld/...... and so they WERENT affected by NEW52 and REBIRTH.

So they are like cut out from the end of Pre-Flashpoint and now thrown into a timeline in which they practically never existed.
    Like the Titans of Tomorrow Batman (TIM DRAKE) who landed in REBIRTH, but clearly came of Pre-Flashpoint (he mentioned Conner....)

The REAL PROBLEM with Conner for example is that we dont know how much of his Pre-Flashpoint history happened with him...
    It would have been MUCH SIMPLER to say that the WHOLE PRE-FLASHPOINT history (YJ,TT,IC......) happened with him and he has ALL this memories and his friends Cassie, Bart and now also Tim remember it....

So they have the memories,experiences etc. from their time in Pre-Flashpoint, but never existed in Rebirth.
    Like Wally West who didnt exist in Rebirth and came from another timeline in this timeline.

NO...

The EASIEST and BEST way would just have been to take Cassie,Conner,Bart from PRE-FLASHPOINT (END of the TT Run) and say that they were in the Speedforce/ Gemworld/...... and so they WERENT affected by NEW52 and REBIRTH.

So they are like cut out from the end of Pre-Flashpoint and now thrown into a timeline in which they practically never existed.
    Like the Titans of Tomorrow Batman (TIM DRAKE) who landed in REBIRTH, but clearly came of Pre-Flashpoint (he mentioned Conner....)
    Then how would you explain the New 52 Cassie still being around? At least with Bart and Conner were explained as not being the actual Bart and Conner, but Cassie was still Cassie. How could she have been pulled into Gemworld and still be around in New 52 stories. Unless they are two different people, and now you have to explain why two Cassies are running around.

There was no easy fix to all this.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Then how would you explain the New 52 Cassie still being around? At least with Bart and Conner were explained as not being the actual Bart and Conner, but Cassie was still Cassie. How could she have been pulled into Gemworld and still be around in New 52 stories. Unless they are two different people, and now you have to explain why two Cassies are running around.

There was no easy fix to all this.
    Cassie is a bit hard to work around. As long as Wonder Woman is Zeus' daughter they will keep Cassie as his granddaughter. And they are unlikely to change that now that they used that origin in a successful movie.

They could just make her Diana's sister but that's kinda Donna's thing.