Spectacular Member

Default War of Realms + Tie-ins Worth It?

Hello guys. I do not buy monthlies anymore, so I buy HC or Omnibus.

War of Realms Omnibus is coming. Is it worth getting? The main series + the tie-ins, or just skip it and get only the main series? Also, I know I would enjoy it more if I read Aaron's whole Thor saga, but I only read the first arc way back. Will I not get confused of the story if I just jump in War of Realms?

Anyway here are the list of contents from the Omnibus:
    COLLECTING: WAR OF THE REALMS (2019) 1-6, WAR OF THE REALMS OMEGA (2019) 1, WAR OF THE REALMS: WAR SCROLLS (2019) 1-3, WAR OF THE REALMS STRIKEFORCE: THE LAND OF THE GIANTS (2019) 1, WAR OF THE REALMS STRIKEFORCE: THE DARK ELF REALM (2019) 1, WAR OF THE REALMS STRIKEFORCE: THE WAR AVENGERS (2019) 1, GIANT-MAN (2019) 1-3, WAR OF THE REALMS: JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY (2019) 1-5, SPIDER-MAN & THE LEAGUE OF REALMS (2019) 1-3, WAR OF THE REALMS: THE PUNISHER (2019) 1-3, WAR OF THE REALMS: UNCANNY X-MEN (2019) 1-3, WAR OF THE REALMS: NEW AGENTS OF ATLAS (2019) 1-4, ASGARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (2018) 8-10, TONY STARK: IRON MAN (2018) 12-13, VENOM (2018) 13-15, THOR (2018) 8-16, AVENGERS (2018) 18-20, CAPTAIN MARVEL (2019) 6-7, CHAMPIONS (2019) 5-6, DEADPOOL (2018) 13-14, FANTASTIC FOUR (2018) 10, MOON GIRL AND DEVIL DINOSAUR (2016) 43, SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN (2018) 7-8, UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL (2015B) 43-46

MANY THANKS!!!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I love it, but I have been reading Aaron's run from the beginning.

I honestly wouldn't recommend it if you haven't been keeping up with Aaron's run especially if you missed out on Jane Foster's Thor because a lot of the lead up happened there because you may wonder what is happening with the Asgardians, Loki, the Ten Realms and all the rest.

Also only a handful of the tie-ins actually "tied in" to the event; I really enjoyed Strikeforce, Spidey & The League of Realms and the War Scrolls.

I think if you can get it on sale go for it, but I wouldn't pay full price for it if you aren't a superfan and haven't been reading Thor; but if you just want a omni with beautiful art by Dauterman go for it.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I have to be honest, I only bought one of the tie-ins and that is War of the Realms: War Scrolls #3. It has a Doom story written by Christopher Cantwell (Halt and Catch Fire). Now he's writing the Doctor Doom series and will be taking over Iron Man soon.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-07-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Astonishing Member

If I'm being honest, I liked the tie-ins more than the event itself.

So I did not read the tie-ins, but only the main storyline. Was I confused? no. But the storyline is geared towards reading the tie-ins.

For example, "Ok everyone, we are going to break into teams, team 1 will do this, team 2 this, etc. You look, "Oh hey, those are the tie-ins." Next issue, we briefly touch upon what happened in those tie-ins.
    Or we got a big splash page, "The FF was battling forces in NY." Read that tie in, to know what happened.

So Arron does a good job of saying, "Hey look, I'm mentioning the tie-ins, so they must be important."

My personal opinion of tie-ins. If it doesn't have characters I would normally read, and the only reason I am getting it because of the tie-in, then I probably don't need it.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Some were really good, and some...not so good, blatant cash grabs.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Save money and just get the main event. Even the Thor tie-ins aren't important if you haven't read the full run.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The X-Men had a three-parter tie-in and it was booty.

Just stick to the main event.
    "Cable was right!"

Spectacular Member

BIG THANKS GUYS! Much appreciated!