Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default Batman 94 Spoilers/Discussion

Batman 94 came out today, the conclusion of Tynion's first story arc on Batman. To start with the bad, not a big fan of the rough looking art and so much of the run ended up just being build up to joker war.

Things I enjoyed about the story is the scene at the beginning with Bruce and Selina talking on the phone, felt like they were both broken. I also like the status quo change with Bruce's assets and house getting taken. Remindes me a lot of telltale Batman actually. With Lucius fox not wanting to be a replacement Alfred anymore, I am really cururious what will happen after joker war? We know Cass may become Batgirl again, is this leading to Babs becoming oracle?
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 07-07-2020 at 09:03 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I really loved all the Batman Year One references. I still think this should have been at least two arcs, if not three, giving us a sense of "status quo" before Joker War disrupts it, but I still enjoyed these 9 issues.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    With lucuis fox not wanting to be a replacement Alfred anymore, I am really cururious what will happen after joker war?
    I also thought about that. But on the other side, they easily can bring Alfred back somehow. His death has been done because they wanted to set-up Bruce retirement in favor of Luke, and that decision caused major backlash. Now, when everything is changed, I think, DC will carefully clean and fix what people did not like, that's the reason why they can bring Alfred back as well.
    Anyway, Joker War probably will somehow unite entire Batfamily, anti-Death of the Family conclusion. Instead of pushing everyone away, everyone will unite and take Joker down. After this issue I am already convinced that this is how the storyline ends.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I also thought about that. But on the other side, they easily can bring Alfred back somehow. His death has been done because they wanted to set-up Bruce retirement in favor of Luke, and that decision caused major backlash. Now, when everything is changed, I think, DC will carefully clean and fix what people did not like, that's the reason why they can bring Alfred back as well.
    Anyway, Joker War probably will somehow unite entire Batfamily, anti-Death of the Family conclusion. Instead of pushing everyone away, everyone will unite and take Joker down. After this issue I am already convinced that this is how the storyline ends.
    I'm sure Alfred will come back by the end of joker war or the next arc, I could see them tying into his Alfred's past as a spy as a way to explain things.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    How long has Alfred even been dead for a year? I know death means nothing in comics but can it actually be a while til they bring him back and how are they going to explain his return anyway?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Hopefully they explain more him losing his assets, becuase in #93, Joker took his cash. No one who is worth x billion has x in cash. Most of it is not that liquid. Even if the Joker got his cash, that doesn't mean house.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Incredible Member

My take aways from the entire first arc and what's coming next

1. Was way too long. 9 issues for a set-up? Nah. This could have been done in 4/5 issues. Only a few issues were relevant, with the other being fillers.

2. Found the concept of the Designer pretty interesting. But it was turned on its head and in my view, Tynion resorted to the same old tropes i.e. using an existing, overused big bad as the main antagonist. I mean yeah we knew it was leading up to the Joker War but still...

3. Joker War - yet another Joker story.

4. When Tynion was coming onboard, one of the things that was "marketed" was Bruce Wayne's revitalization of Gotham City. This in my mind suggested more BW, which is always welcome and a story that actually progresses everything (and not just Batman) forward. This did not happen at all. Guess it's my fault - expectation vs. the story being told.

5. Guillem March...While I'm not a fan of his art, he is not a "bad" artist. Just don't think his art works for a comic that heavily relates to shadows, darkness and night time i.e. a Batman comic. Also some of the issues seemed rushed.

In all, there was a chance to do something different and good however in typical comic book fashion when all is stripped down to the bones, we were treated to the same old thing. Tynion's stint on Detective was much better.

Don't even know what to expect anymore...

This one wasn’t bad, but the lead up was such a drag and they have already given so much away that nothing was a surprise.

Tim could be the New Alfred. It was insulting having Fox take over for Alfred. Dude went from heading up WE to a glorified admin for Batman.

Not to mention unlike Bruce and Alfred he is a family man so he needs his personal time

Don't @ me about the Batfamily or Julia. they aren't family men.
    Last edited by dietrich; 07-08-2020 at 02:26 PM.

No explanation about how Catwoman is okay after getting shot in the head. I guess Punchline just couldn't kill her with the perfect oppurtunity right in front of her
    Probably won't be an explanation how Harley survived getting her throat cut either
    Just more useless suspense
    Do you even need to worry about certain characters dying anymore with how many fakeouts the Bat office has pulled

I don't hate Lucius at all mind you but Bruce has the perfect replacement for Alfred with Julia and she has the added benefit of being his actual daughter

BANNED

Ah, poor Bruce reduced to being penniless. I wonder if Damian would like being a penniless snot who can't behave like the entitled brat he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    How long has Alfred even been dead for a year? I know death means nothing in comics but can it actually be a while til they bring him back and how are they going to explain his return anyway?
    Hey, a year is pretty long in comic terms. Tim's fake-out death revealed he was still alive in the same issue. Clayface was revealed to either not have died, or come back to life, within the same story arc. And Kate died and came back to life in mere minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    No explanation about how Catwoman is okay after getting shot in the head. I guess Punchline just couldn't kill her with the perfect oppurtunity right in front of her
    Probably won't be an explanation how Harley survived getting her throat cut either
    Just more useless suspense
    Do you even need to worry about certain characters dying anymore with how many fakeouts the Bat office has pulled
    Most of them have died at some point by now, and come back to life.

I don't hate Lucius at all mind you but Bruce has the perfect replacement for Alfred with Julia and she has the added benefit of being his actual daughter
    I still can't get over that they left her out of 'Pennyworth RIP', she didn't even attend his funeral! I think nobody bothered to tell her.

Astonishing Member

This. Let him be dead for awhile and really examine how much his loss has affected Bruce. Alfred is the real MVP and is responsible for keeping Bruce on the side of the angels. Without his conscience/moral compass, how far will Bruce be willing to go?

It wouldn't be hard to bring him back. DC are building to another Crisis. So stuff like that will be retconned then.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I also like the status quo change with Bruce's assets and house getting taken. Remindes me a lot of telltale Batman actually.
    and Batman Eternal. I actually don't like this part because it's still fresh.

Easy. Wally West is currently tinkering with continuity with the opposition being Batman Who Laughs. Once Death Metal is over he can do whatever he wants including bringing Alfred back.

No explanation about how Catwoman is okay after getting shot in the head.
    She learned from Dick or one of her nine lives went up lol

Catwoman was shot in the head right? I wasn't surprised that she didn't actually die, obviously, but I was kind of surprised that like... Batman phoned her up and had a conversation with her. I mean, at least make her unconscious and actually injured for a while at least - she gets shot in the head, taken to hospital and is still conscious and lucid enough to have a conversation over the phone, then pass out. Then like an hour later she is up and hanging out with Penguin. Kinda removes the impact of her actually getting shot and done over by Punchline, right?