Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    While I'm there, that the board can think is not even a new idea, it's as old as the Surfer's 80s series where it outright shares his soul for the reason why it can think ("I'm not alone, I have my board, which is as one with me." "There are many souls in the infinite universe, but only one is like the Silver Surfer's"). The Slott run just gave it a name.

Trying to analogize the board to Mjolnir does not work. It's a part of him. He makes it out of himself. They share the same soul. It's his living flesh.

Edit: And I feel like the whole "then it should hurt him when...". Look, until we all have surfboards that are one with us, made out of our own substance powered by the cosmic energies that infuse us and inhabited by our souls to give them awareness, trying to figure out why they don't share pain is maybe impossible ;p
    Actually Surfer felt pain when Shalla Bal blasted a hole in his board, enough pain to make him come out of coma in Slott's run.

Last edited by Superfan90; 07-11-2020 at 12:57 PM.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    He caught the handle, not actually the swing of the hammer. I think Surfer looked weaker physically in the whole fight, just a lot more durable as Thor knocks him around for most part without hurting him too much.
    The "fight" is mostly Thor hitting Surfer while Surfer wants to talk, and then Surfer concking Thor from behind with his board. (Seriously, he does this three time in three consecutive issues.) We never actually see much of a throw down or extended contest. Even in the hammer catch, Surfer is trying to talk Thor down at the time. I really wouldn't draw any conclusions from it.
    Surfer always looks better than Thor against Hulk, so that's a weird comparison. Also Midgard Serpent thing is just a big myth, Midgard Serpent never actually physically encircled Earth in Thor 327. If you remove mjolnir, Thor has hardly any strength feats that would show him stronger than Surfer in all honesty.
    Well shrug city then. If all that is true and Surfer is surfing moons into Galactus, maybe he IS stronger than Thor.

Ehhh. That's less pain and more shock at their bond being severed.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 07-11-2020 at 01:14 PM.

Just for the record on the whole Surfer and his board thing, that particular run also contains a sequence where the Surfer loses his board because he lost a gambling game where if you lose, you lose, in exact words "physical parts of yourself."
    Last edited by Pendaran; 07-11-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    What, in the world seed arc? When Surfer was already sitting and caught the hammer swing coming down at him? And then Thor headbutts him? When you factor in leverage and momentum I don't think that proves much of anything.

I actually do think Thor is probably stronger, but that is more because he has more fist fights with Hulk,, the Midgard Serpent lift, and things like that.
    Surfer also wasn't attempting to kill Thor for the majority of that arc (or at all, really). With Thor going all out to murder the Surfer. Hell, this is backed up by the Surfer, after getting his ass slapped around the surface of Mars while trying to talk it out with Thor, discharging a blast and says something like "bruh stop we homies and like... you're dying from some kinda weird energy stab wound."

At which point Thor bodies him with a hammer toss and says, "do you wanna die on Mars? Cuz I'll kill you on Mars."

The order of events might be a bit backwards (can't remember if Surfer notices the wound before or after Thor throws Mjolnir at him) but the overall point is that Surfer wasn't exactly trying his damndest, whereas Thor was.

In the event my memory has failed me, I'm still not as bad as Arbitus at luring in prey so HAH!
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Just for the record on the whole Surfer and his board thing, that particular run also contains a sequence where the Surfer loses his board because he lost a gambling game where if you lose, you lose, in exact words "physical parts of yourself."
    Question.

Is Surfer's showing against Maestro canon?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Question.

Is Surfer's showing against Maestro canon?
    I have no idea. It made no sense with the Surfer's series that was going on at the time which had the Surfer be outside the universe for the entirety of Secret Wars, but it seems like the writer wanted it to be the Silver Surfer.

But that makes dead zero sense.

I have no idea. It made no sense with the Surfer's series that was going on at the time which had the Surfer be outside the universe for the entirety of Secret Wars, but it seems like the writer wanted it to be the Silver Surfer.

But that makes dead zero sense.
    Look man. When have recent comics made sense?

Arx Inosaan

Well this is a very very niche argument and i still think anything done by the board is not really physical force imo

But its unlikely to ever be a thing what with Surfers 99 other powers and planet busting and whatnot so meh

On an unrelated note, I really hate where they went Surfer and Shalla Bal's story after he left earth. Personally always thought it was one of the most beautiful things in comics and they just...yeah, absolutely ruined it. She hooked up with Norrins brother at one point before they retconned that. I hate it.
    Last edited by The Dork Knight; 07-11-2020 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Why do you think Galactus has such an oddly shaped helmet? He is containing his cosmic hair so it doesn't shatter our feeble minds!

Edit: This all makes so much sense. I mean, LOOK at how beautiful his cosmic cut is. Not a hair out of place.
    I assume he wears a cap to protect his coiffuring while he takes the Shower Cosmic.

Like they should have just ended with this, like this is the last time we see Shalla bal. My favorite Surfer story

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Edit: This all makes so much sense. I mean, LOOK at how beautiful his cosmic cut is. Not a hair out of place.
    Hey is that from the comic where Hercules got into fighty shenanigans with Galactus until he tried to get him drunk with Super Liquor, only for Galactus to play along and have a laugh about it?

Hope it's canon.

In the event my memory has failed me, I'm still not as bad as Arbitus at luring in prey so HAH!
    Don't make me put Ocean Meat back on the menu.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Well this is a very very niche argument and i still think anything done by the board is not really physical force imo

But its unlikely to ever be a thing what with Surfers 99 other powers and planet busting and whatnot so meh

On an unrelated note, I really hate where they went Surfer and Shalla Bal's story after he left earth. Personally always thought it was one of the most beautiful things in comics and they just...yeah, absolutely ruined it. She hooked up with Norrins brother at one point before they retconned that. I hate it.
    Oh, they absolutely completely ruined the Shalla Bal/Surfer story. Especially, christ, especially in his most recent stabs at an ongoing series. (not Black, which was a miniseries, the two Slott runs)

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Surfer also wasn't attempting to kill Thor for the majority of that arc (or at all, really). With Thor going all out to murder the Surfer. Hell, this is backed up by the Surfer, after getting his ass slapped around the surface of Mars while trying to talk it out with Thor, discharging a blast and says something like "bruh stop we homies and like... you're dying from some kinda weird energy stab wound."

At which point Thor bodies him with a hammer toss and says, "do you wanna die on Mars? Cuz I'll kill you on Mars."

The order of events might be a bit backwards (can't remember if Surfer notices the wound before or after Thor throws Mjolnir at him) but the overall point is that Surfer wasn't exactly trying his damndest, whereas Thor was.

Yeah, Surfer was trying to deescalate a lot of the time and This wasn't having it. Which is pretty true to form for both of them really. But even that got repeated over and over again.

Thats the problem with having one fight stretched over 4 issues and it only being one of several plot lines running. Each issue is basically just a rehash of the last and nothing of substance happens.