Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Favorite Comic Age of Superman

Which is your favorite Comic Age of Superman:

Golden Age (1933-September, 1956)
    Silver Age (October, 1956-September, 1986)
    Modern Age (October, 1986-November, 1999)
    Birthright (December, 1999-April, 2006)
    Post Infinite Crisis (May, 2006-October, 2011)
    New 52 (November, 2011-May, 2016)
    New 52: Rebirth (May, 2016-February, 2020)

Golden Age but ending earlier than the OP lists. I prefer Superman to leap buildings in a single bound not fly, and I think the character was fundamentally changed from its core concept before the 40s ended.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

The Bronze Age is my personal favourite followed by the Post Crisis era and aspects of both the Golden Age and Silver Age..
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Silver/Bronze, with a lot of respect for the Golden Age stories as well.

I'd rank New 52 behind them, but it's mostly one run (Morrison) and I'm either not fond or too familiar with everything else in that period.

Retired

By decade, it would be the 1970s, the 1960s, the 1940s, the 1930s, the 1980s, the 1950s, the 1990s, in that order. As far as the 2000s go, there are some runs and titles I liked but not a whole lot.

Modern Age

Astonishing Member

I can read pretty much any era and enjoy myself but it's the Golden Age that made me a fan.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Astonishing Member

The Bronze Age. All the power and mythos of the Silver Age but with less of the over-the-top whimsy. Krypto might show-up but not a team of canine space cops. Lois might still suspect the dual identity but we didn't have whole stories revolving around her and Superman playing practical jokes on each other as she tried to prove it. Superman actually interacted with JLA members other than Batman.

The immediate Post-Crisis through about Zero Hour is a close second. The stories themselves were as good or better, but nostalgia makes the average 1979 Superman story have a stronger pull than its 1989 counterpart.

Mostly the Bronze Age (1970s to 1986) and Modern Age (1986-2000), with elements here and there from the other ones.

Triangle for me, though I haven’t read much at all prior to the 80s.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Bronze age for me as well. I feel it's the most balanced era. It still treats Superman with awe and wonder, but it isn't as over the top goofy as the Silver age.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Mix of bronze and modern, though they all have merit.

Modern age, specifically the Post Crisis Byrne era and for a few years after.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The 70s and early 80s are very lovable, though I don't care much for the bulk of 50s and 60s outside of the Dailies. Dorfman, Bates, Maggin, and Bridwell (also Boltinoff and Schwartz) were hilariously creative among many other great contributors. Curt Swan and the Legion of Inkers are underrated talents when it comes to classic comics. I imagine this would have been the best time to be a reader because you could easily just pick up a comic and get a fun, complete story in itself aside from the rare multi partner, with such hits as the Return of Jonathan Kent

I really love serial news strips like Popeye and Superman and serial manga, so the triangle style storytelling is a high point. The summer of 1986 to end of 1999 isn't a finished story (that would be going to the end of 2003 really) but it is a pretty complete story. There's enough resolution to the consistency that began with the reboot, and many of both my favorite and the most pivotal stories happen along the way that it is potentially the best stretch of comics for a single superhero imo.

Finally, with the golden age it took me a second look but I really have come to enjoy the 43-49 material. It's like taking some of what I like about Dick Tracy and turning up the volume. I love the bizarre gags rooted in the ordinary and how "pure" a lot of those stories felt when it comes to the character.

Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The McGuinness/Loeb era would be my favorite...