Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default Is there a cut-off period where you're no longer interested in DC Comics

I realize this is a very negative thread subject, but is there an event, character death, crisis, reboot, or just a plain storyline ending where you said 'that's it, I'm done!!!!' in DC Comics history?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I realize this is a very negative thread subject, but is there an event, character death, crisis, reboot, or just a plain storyline ending where you said 'that's it, I'm done!!!!' in DC Comics history?
    Eh, it was the cumulative effect, but probably the DC YOU period. The New 52 had effectively killed off my interest in their Teen Titans book even though it contained a bunch of my favorite characters, and Truth and Superheavy were uninteresting concepts for me regarding the two main franchises I cared about.

The DC YOU period feels like the nadir of the New 52 period before Rebirth.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Boisterously Confused

Hm. I'm exploring that as we speak by rereading the early 1990s. Like godisawesome said, there is a cumulative effect to it. As I see more Events piling on in the early 1990s, I find that my interest steadily wanes. Even though some great Superman and Batman were getting written in that time, the intrusion of events is palpable. On top of that, (IMO) the early 1990s is when The Teen Titans went from "struggling" to "down right bad."

There's still good stuff in and after that era, like "Panic In The Sky." But on the whole, I'd say roughly 1991-1993 was The Year(s) The Music Died for DC.

As I wrote this, it suddenly struck me that the '91-93 range coincides with the launch of Image Comics. That seems to have sucked a lot of energy out of The Big Two. Not just the departure of the best talent, but a sense that The Big Two were dominated by how-to-inflate-sales thinking at the same time that some of their most entertaining creators decided they'd rather have a bigger share than be working stiffs.

I think I'm reaching that point now with comics in general. I think I'm starting to recognize a lot of cultural elements of mainstream comics (and american comics as a whole in a sense) that're starting to really hinder my ability to enjoy and really invest in these stories and characters.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

It was the New 52 era and how most of the new series seemed destined to prematurely crumble into dust... I gave graphic novels in general a rest until Rebirth, and I've been back at it since.

Rebirth came close to getting me to quit when they went back to that broken continuity. But I tried for a little while. But they've done nothing but continue to break it more ever since, so I'm really close to cutting the cord completely now. It depends on what the post-Metal set up looks like. If its as bad as I anticipate, I'll be done. The fact about 1/3 of the line is Batman stuff too doesn't help. I'll still keep an eye on Black Label and other potential imprints, but again, running into that problem of the bulk of materials being Batman.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-07-2020 at 03:53 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Wait, history or story? Because those are two different things. I'm still interested in the history or lore because once upon a time there were consistency and simplicity but I have no interest in the story right now because they prove they can't be consistent

The cut-off point is about the time where I was reading but I found out they're doing retcon in the story instead of outside because it shows me that DC doesn't care about anything, learn nothing, and will just keep making mistakes, uncaring of any consistency because they can retcon things after

for me, that is the beginning of Rebirth, but I got interested again once they made the new timeline for Generation 5 because they made an attempt to be consistent

for now

who knows what will happen once the timeline is applied, will they be able to keep consistent

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

People seem to be responding of when they lost general interest in DC. To answer that it was about two years when Didio firmly reestablished his reign and the joy and hope of Rebirth was wiped away.

Since then, at about summer 2018, I have collected very few titles and have had little to no interest in the titles or the DCU in general.

To answer the OP's question directly, Heroes in Crisis.

After the horrible, malicious and nonsensical character assasination of Wally West I said "That's it, I'm done with DC." I dropped everything and picked up 0 DC titles for months after that.

It took an issue or two of Flash Forward to bring me back. Now I'm cautiously picking up 2-4 titles a month.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Unless DC as a company did something really evil and nefarious, my answer would be when the books I currently collect no longer interest me and DC has start no other books that did interest me. I go by book, characters, and creators much more than I do company (although character is fed by that).

Boisterously Confused

I occasionally read some of the more current stuff that's on DC Universe, so I guess I'm not really out, although I have taken breaks along the way. As others have said, I find it difficult to enjoy the more recent comics because of all the decompression. You simply don't get as much story per issue as in the past.

Ultimate Member

It's not a negative topic. You are asking about something someone has taken the time to READ and that was pretty much it. Not the mess we see at Marvel where we get guys who haven't read a Marvel book and can somehow tell you that book is an attack on Stan Lee, a certain demographic or what some youtuber made up.

Now while there has not been something like that to send me leaving for good. Now there has been stuff that has resulted in men NOT buying DC books if they are not in a BIN.

Far Sector, Batwing, Static Shock, batman & Signal, Doom Patrol, Rebirth Supergirl (before Bendis), Batman & Outsiders (until recently), We Are Robin and parts of Rebirth Teen Titans & Wonder Woman & Cyborg. Are the only ones I have paid cover price for. Along with OGN for Raven, Aqualad, Naomi & Cass.

Everyone else like Doomsday Clock, Dial H, Dr Fate and a few others-BINS.

Like someone said here way too much character assassination has happened here.

And crap like Heroes in Crisis was a turn off.

Treatment of Wally and others didn't help.

And that Juneteenth image where MULTIPLE black names had to be repeated and featured folks who have not been seen in YEARS. Yeah that won't get me buying more books.

People can still be fans without enjoying the current state of DC books and you don't have to participate in this thread. For the ones that do it can be a good form of catharsis.
    I rather folks VENT here than do some of the TOXIC behavior we have seen.

you really do need to find a new hobby and a new place to hang, rather then just constantly moaning about how bad modern dc comics are...
    Folks do have a hobby. It's called reading comics. Sadly for DC-they have soured way too many folks for them to enjoy reading DC books.

Whose fault is it David Walker's Bitter Root, Rodney Barnes's Killadephia and Milmar's Kick Azz & Prodigy can do a better job with black characters then DC.

Whose fault is some of Tynion's Boom books are better than his Batman books?

Sooner or later you have to ask what is the issue at DC? What is souring fans? Because it's not just here but in stores folks are souring on DC. Only reason Dc is not sinking is because they flooded the market with Batman.

And since stores won't stop over ordering his books (along with some others) change can't happen because many of the screwed up characters don't have books.

Retired

I think one of the developments that weakened the compulsion to get your books every month was the explosion of trade paperbacks. And since these were often much cheaper than buying the floppies--and sometimes even had added content--trade waiting became common. It just wasn't necessary to go to the shop to get the comics anymore.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think one of the developments that weakened the compulsion to get your books every month was the explosion of trade paperbacks. And since these were often much cheaper than buying the floppies--and sometimes even had added content--trade waiting became common. It just wasn't necessary to go to the shop to get the comics anymore.
    Very interesting.

American comics were, as I understand it, designed around the 3-5 panel pace of daily newspaper publication. Then it went to 5-10ish pages of self-contained monthly anthology features. Next was 20-odd pages of self-contained story. Then 20ish pages designed around a hook for the next monthly issue. Now we're in a space where comics from The Big Two are designed aroud novellas, broken into monthly segments.

No surprise that folks wait on the collection.

What are the odds that comics go back to quarterly or even non-regular scheduling, more like movies, as whole story-lines are dumped all at once?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Very interesting.

American comics were, as I understand it, designed around the 3-5 panel pace of daily newspaper publication. Then it went to 5-10ish pages of self-contained monthly anthology features. Next was 20-odd pages of self-contained story. Then 20ish pages designed around a hook for the next monthly issue. Now we're in a space where comics from The Big Two are designed aroud novellas, broken into monthly segments.

No surprise that folks wait on the collection.

What are the odds that comics go back to quarterly or even non-regular scheduling, more like movies, as whole story-lines are dumped all at once?
    Yes, I often think of this, that comics have gone full circle, as the early comic books were the equivalent of a trade paperback. I think those will become the norm and the monthlies less so.

On the matter of growing out of the hobby--that was the expectation when I was a kid. You were supposed to grow out of comics. My parents kept telling me that it was about time I gave them up. And when I was eleven I thought I was done with comic books and ready to move on with other things in my life. Then, when I was twelve, I regressed.

Comic book publishers factored this into their decisions. They knew that kids were growing out of comics and new ones coming in, so the comics were geared to always be inviting in the new young readers. They weren't chasing after the same, now-grown, readership.

I think it's natural to get tired of certain things in life, while still getting joy out of others. Just which things you stick with and which things you give up is what makes you unique.

Incredible Member

Mine might sound a bit random but adverts always end up driving me away for a while. Im paying a premium to read the story in singles but you insist on interrupting my enjoyment every 4 pages to tell me about a statue or a tv show or something. It makes the books feel cheap and i feel like a mug when i could just read the trade uninterrupted for less money.

Put the adverts in the back with some sketches or a letters page - its not hard.