Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retired

I think, unlike other topic titles, this one is neutral. And it's the question that got me interested in reading the thread. Because you can generalize that question to all things in life. Is there a time when you're no longer interested in x?

If this thread does get merged into another one, maybe someone can offer up the question again as a general question on the community board.

Rebirth was the cut off for me.

They consolidated many of their titles...which is understandable from a financial standpoint, but still. Interesting titles were missing in favor of same old, same old. For me, DC has always been best when it explores the B, C, D list heroes much more so than the A listers. I want to be able to pick up an awesome Prez comic, or Animal Man, or Omega Men, etc in addition to the ten books Batman appears in.

The art pretty much all started to look the same.

The writing was basically standard. No chances taken, nothing extraordinary. Sure, many of the talent were top-quality, but the direction seemed very 'safe' and it still feels that way frankly.

Again, I get why DC reverted to Rebirth after DC You. But DC You took chances despite being mismanaged. Rebirth takes no chances and even if the writing can occasionally be good, it's also mostly boring. I don't see why DC and we the fans can't have our cake and eat it too. They should be able to have interesting books in addition to keeping the big sellers top notch.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think, unlike other topic titles, this one is neutral. And it's the question that got me interested in reading the thread. Because you can generalize that question to all things in life. Is there a time when you're no longer interested in x?

If this thread does get merged into another one, maybe someone can offer up the question again as a general question on the community board.
    Going over the thread thoroughly, it appears it's not the usual "DCU great - everything else stinks" discussions we have been seeing here for almost ten years. Therefore, I won't merge it with the other thread at this time.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Never really had this issue with DC in the nearly 5 decades I've been reading comics.

There have been periods where I've slowed way down and hardly bought any DC books, but, that's always been because I was into something else more, not really because of any problems with DC.

That being said, I do have that point with Marvel though. The "Civil War/One More Day" era pretty much killed the MU for me and I have had no desire to read any modern Marvel comics in years. I eventually even realized that, aside from a few runs that are really creator-based, Marvel died for me all the way back with the first Secret War when it went from being the Marvel Comics Group to the Marvel Universe.
    Batman - Daredevil

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    For many, this is the only place we get to really talk about our passion for these characters and if you're a long-time reader unable to enjoy the current stuff, that leads to frustration. I get where you're coming from, but I also don't want people who love those old books and are versed in them to go away. I've discovered some great comics I would have missed from old timers on this board (and it's pre-crisis iteration!) who don't continue to read new stuff. We're a richer community the more voices we have to comprise us, and sometimes it's negative, but you can get some cool recommendations if you ask those some people what they did enjoy and turn the conversation around.
    Thank you. Yes, I'm not trying to discourage anyone who likes current DC Comics. I was just curious as to what was the ending point for those who decided to call it a day.

For me, I had lost interest in the direction of DC around 2005 when I turned 40 years old. I hung around for about 2 years reading only the Alex Ross Justice mini-series and then quit comics altogether. I still like to keep up with what's going on, which is why I'm on this board. I'll pick up an issue or trade every once in awhile. But I haven't been excited about a DC book in quite some time unfortunately.

Incredible Member

Even if I'm not reading a lot of the new comics, by staying on this message board and being engaged with the conversation about the comics, I can stay reasonably up to date with ongoing continuity and find out about comics that I might want to try out. So just because a person isn't that interested in the comics at the moment, they can still get something out of being here, rather than leaving the forum because they aren't wanted.
    You often provide historical context and anecdotes too that add to any discussion.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

For better or worse in my lifetime DC has done several continuity reboots and changes from Zero Hour to the present. So the idea that DC does some kind of change that gets me to never read anything new is unlikely.

Extraordinary Member

Even if I'm not reading a lot of the new comics, by staying on this message board and being engaged with the conversation about the comics, I can stay reasonably up to date with ongoing continuity and find out about comics that I might want to try out. So just because a person isn't that interested in the comics at the moment, they can still get something out of being here, rather than leaving the forum because they aren't wanted.
    This is exactly how I feel and you said it so much better than I did. Thank you.

Retired

For most of my comics reading life, there was always one comic, but a different comic every year, that kept me invested in buying comics. I would think to myself, okay I could give up all these other comics but I need to get this one. It could be SWAMP THING or E-MAN or HOWARD THE DUCK or PLASTIC MAN or DAREDEVIL or HOURMAN--but there was always one I had to get that month, which kept me going for a few decades.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I realize this is a very negative thread subject, but is there an event, character death, crisis, reboot, or just a plain storyline ending where you said 'that's it, I'm done!!!!' in DC Comics history?
    People seem to be responding of when they lost general interest in DC. To answer that it was about two years when Didio firmly reestablished his reign and the joy and hope of Rebirth was wiped away.

Since then, at about summer 2018, I have collected very few titles and have had little to no interest in the titles or the DCU in general.

To answer the OP's question directly, Heroes in Crisis.

After the horrible, malicious and nonsensical character assasination of Wally West I said "That's it, I'm done with DC." I dropped everything and picked up 0 DC titles for months after that.

It took an issue or two of Flash Forward to bring me back. Now I'm cautiously picking up 2-4 titles a month.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Unless DC as a company did something really evil and nefarious, my answer would be when the books I currently collect no longer interest me and DC has start no other books that did interest me. I go by book, characters, and creators much more than I do company (although character is fed by that).

Boisterously Confused

I occasionally read some of the more current stuff that's on DC Universe, so I guess I'm not really out, although I have taken breaks along the way. As others have said, I find it difficult to enjoy the more recent comics because of all the decompression. You simply don't get as much story per issue as in the past.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I realize this is a very negative thread subject, but is there an event, character death, crisis, reboot, or just a plain storyline ending where you said 'that's it, I'm done!!!!' in DC Comics history?
    It's not a negative topic. You are asking about something someone has taken the time to READ and that was pretty much it. Not the mess we see at Marvel where we get guys who haven't read a Marvel book and can somehow tell you that book is an attack on Stan Lee, a certain demographic or what some youtuber made up.

Now while there has not been something like that to send me leaving for good. Now there has been stuff that has resulted in men NOT buying DC books if they are not in a BIN.

Far Sector, Batwing, Static Shock, batman & Signal, Doom Patrol, Rebirth Supergirl (before Bendis), Batman & Outsiders (until recently), We Are Robin and parts of Rebirth Teen Titans & Wonder Woman & Cyborg. Are the only ones I have paid cover price for. Along with OGN for Raven, Aqualad, Naomi & Cass.

Everyone else like Doomsday Clock, Dial H, Dr Fate and a few others-BINS.

Like someone said here way too much character assassination has happened here.

And crap like Heroes in Crisis was a turn off.

Treatment of Wally and others didn't help.

And that Juneteenth image where MULTIPLE black names had to be repeated and featured folks who have not been seen in YEARS. Yeah that won't get me buying more books.

People can still be fans without enjoying the current state of DC books and you don't have to participate in this thread. For the ones that do it can be a good form of catharsis.
    I rather folks VENT here than do some of the TOXIC behavior we have seen.

you really do need to find a new hobby and a new place to hang, rather then just constantly moaning about how bad modern dc comics are...
    Folks do have a hobby. It's called reading comics. Sadly for DC-they have soured way too many folks for them to enjoy reading DC books.

Whose fault is it David Walker's Bitter Root, Rodney Barnes's Killadephia and Milmar's Kick Azz & Prodigy can do a better job with black characters then DC.

Whose fault is some of Tynion's Boom books are better than his Batman books?

Sooner or later you have to ask what is the issue at DC? What is souring fans? Because it's not just here but in stores folks are souring on DC. Only reason Dc is not sinking is because they flooded the market with Batman.

And since stores won't stop over ordering his books (along with some others) change can't happen because many of the screwed up characters don't have books.

Retired

I think one of the developments that weakened the compulsion to get your books every month was the explosion of trade paperbacks. And since these were often much cheaper than buying the floppies--and sometimes even had added content--trade waiting became common. It just wasn't necessary to go to the shop to get the comics anymore.

Boisterously Confused

I think one of the developments that weakened the compulsion to get your books every month was the explosion of trade paperbacks. And since these were often much cheaper than buying the floppies--and sometimes even had added content--trade waiting became common. It just wasn't necessary to go to the shop to get the comics anymore.
    Very interesting.

American comics were, as I understand it, designed around the 3-5 panel pace of daily newspaper publication. Then it went to 5-10ish pages of self-contained monthly anthology features. Next was 20-odd pages of self-contained story. Then 20ish pages designed around a hook for the next monthly issue. Now we're in a space where comics from The Big Two are designed aroud novellas, broken into monthly segments.

No surprise that folks wait on the collection.

What are the odds that comics go back to quarterly or even non-regular scheduling, more like movies, as whole story-lines are dumped all at once?