Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'm kind of there now. There's just been too many reboots. Only thing I'm buying now is out of continuity stuff. There's just nothing on the shelves that interest me right now.
    Assassinate Putin!

Retired

It's kind of cumulative and the result of different things. There was a time when I was in difficult financial straits and I had to make hard choices about where I put my money (mainly toward food and rent). And then there was the changing nature of comics that moved away from the kind of stuff I loved about old comics. And then there were decisions made by D.C. that killed the things I loved. But still, I definitely wanted to come back to D.C. when Rebirth started; however, it was hard to get into anything and no sooner did I get into that then it was thrown out. And I'm at a place in my life where the years behind me are far greater than any I can expect in front of me. I love to read old D.C. more than new D.C. and it would be impossible to read all of it. So isn't my time better wasted on reading those old stories that I missed?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I dipped around the New 52 and came back for Rebirth, but it took my girlfriend taking an interest in comics to really lure me back. I don't want to dwell on negativity, so I'll say that there actually was some great comics from that era I'm glad I was able to experience after the fact, but by and large I still don't think fondly of DC as a whole in that era.

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    These types or threads really do need to stop.

If you arent reading dc, or think the last 10 years of comics have sucked... then you really do need to find a new hobby and a new place to hang, rather then just constantly moaning about how bad modern dc comics are...

Like what are you all gaining by constantly making these depressing threads about how all things dc sucks?

Focus on what you do like and maybe post more about that...

Critizism can exist but if it's all cristism all the time in all these threads its pretty annoying...

I mean if you were a huge twilight fan, and suddenly people essentially trolled the twilight forums, isnt that kinda lame. Let the teenie boppers enjoy twilight, and let the droves of fans excited about modern dc books enjoy dc...

Go find something fun to do and stop hanging around here just to bring everyone down.
    For many, this is the only place we get to really talk about our passion for these characters and if you're a long-time reader unable to enjoy the current stuff, that leads to frustration. I get where you're coming from, but I also don't want people who love those old books and are versed in them to go away. I've discovered some great comics I would have missed from old timers on this board (and it's pre-crisis iteration!) who don't continue to read new stuff. We're a richer community the more voices we have to comprise us, and sometimes it's negative, but you can get some cool recommendations if you ask those some people what they did enjoy and turn the conversation around.
    Last edited by Robanker; 07-07-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I agree with both the people saying that threads like these are necessary and those saying that they're also pretty draining and needlessly negative. Honestly, it's a bit ironic that I've seen some of these threads around since right now, I actually think DC's output is in a really good place. I mean, when you have Matt Fraction, Greg Rucka, James Tynion, and (yes) Scott Snyder turning in some career-high work, then I'm sorry but I'm gonna say that things are good. Sometimes, it can really seem like fans are just so ready and willing to be negative about DC that they sometimes fail to sense when things are actually in a good spot.

Anyway, to answer the OP, I'd have to say it was probably the height of the New 52 when I was ready to walk away from DC Comics. I just wanted the classic DC Universe back.

I read virtually non stop for over 20 years. Then I remember reading the “Our Worlds at War” story. I remember one issue where Superman was in therapy after the huge crossover. Nothing wrong with that but I thought how little I’m enjoying comics. How serious they’d become. The stories were getting longer and more drawn out. I don’t know why that issue stood out. I knew I was buying comics but having to make an effort to read them. I think the Dark Knight sequel came not long after that. I read the first issue and just hated it. Oddly enough my comic shop closed and I just moved on. There’s another shop a bit further but I didn’t have the interest. I read a trade from the library occasionally but moved on from comics around 2002. I sometimes think I’ll give them a try again but I see the price and just can’t do it. I get my fix from the forums. I’m good.

I've been done for awhile. The New 52 crushed me and it's been downhill ever since. So much so I haven't even been posting on the message boards as much anymore. Last time I was around here was Sept last year I think.

I'm really out of touch with DC right now and I'm only really interested in a few books here and there. Still waiting for Dick and the Titans to come back.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

It has to be a character assassination, and I don’t mean writing them badly I mean they have the character do something or something happens to the character that makes it near impossible to want to continue reading. I was very nearly done with Heroes in Crisis for it atrocious treatment of Wally, luckily I enjoyed Flash Forward and I’m interested in Death Metal. But the Nightwing thing, oh boy did that make me drop Batfamily books hard. I keep an eye out and listen in to what’s going on a bit but I’m done until Ric is gone.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Well I won't respond individually to each poster.

I do agree with the one poster who comment a specific thread or forum could be dedicated to this group.

I mean honestly I read about 7 or 8 trades per month. So about 50ish issues at least. I read material as old as the 70s and as current as 2020.

In all eras I've found stuff I like, and some worth only the one read... rarely do I find I feel I wasted my time or struggle to read comics... it's easy. I read every night.

I just can't fathom how people havent been reading for months, or years or decades feel the the need to constantly be starting these threads or chirping in... its soft trolling...

Get some hobbies you are excited about and put your time into that...

What gain do you get by shitting on current readers...?

What value would it be for me to post weekly in the film and tv forum how B89 was the last great batman film and how I haven't enjoyed a modern batman film or even watched one, how the old movies were so much better and the new stuff just sucks...

I mean its steady on these forums that people constantly want to reiterate how done they are with new books...

Well if your reading the old stuff and liking it, please do post about that.

Id love to get recommendations from preflashpoint.

But what we dont need is that the last decade is a waste land and i dont read modern books.

Well i do and 70s, 80s 90s, 00, 10, 20 I'm finding boatloads of dope stories to follow...

I mean there's been like what 9 batman films in 30 years...

There has been thousands and thousands of trades in 30 years... they cant all be garbage... its impossible...

So seriously go find things that make you happy...

I used to listen to heavy metal as a teen. Go to heavy metal concerts, head bang

Guess what i dont listen to heavy metal any more. I havent for 20 years... but im not trolling heavy metal forums telling people how there hasnt been a good concert since the 90s...

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Right now I am buying the least amount of DC titles in over 30 years of serious collecting.
    I'm buying Aquaman and The Flash. That's it - and for the first time ever I'm seriously considering calling it a day altogether.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Retired

Even if I'm not reading a lot of the new comics, by staying on this message board and being engaged with the conversation about the comics, I can stay reasonably up to date with ongoing continuity and find out about comics that I might want to try out. So just because a person isn't that interested in the comics at the moment, they can still get something out of being here, rather than leaving the forum because they aren't wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Even if I'm not reading a lot of the new comics, by staying on this message board and being engaged with the conversation about the comics, I can stay reasonably up to date with ongoing continuity and find out about comics that I might want to try out. So just because a person isn't that interested in the comics at the moment, they can still get something out of being here, rather than leaving the forum because they aren't wanted.
    Not being interested and checking things out is one thing.

A stream of threads and posts about how shitty dc has been for the last ten years is very very different.

No one is saying folks arent wanted. Its rather put your negativity in check. No need to constantly feed it. You guys do have a choice.

Find positive things to add. We all get it. A vocal group hates the last 10 years of dc comics, flashpoint sucks, new52 didnt create a single good book, rebirth is a mess, wine wine and more wine...

It is literally stuck on broken record repeat... and these threads and comments pop up weekly...

So your not actively reading, havent read much in 10 years but you lurk on these forums and any chance you get to comment on how lame new52 was or how great preflashpoint is... well ive used these forums for bout 2 years and lurked for a year or so before that... it just gets really old.

There has to be a book you like you can start a thread about... and if not then maybe just hang back...

I am reading 50 issues a month easy. I cant even begin to keep up with dcs output. Sure there are some morr formulaic books like jl odyssey... but for every one those there is Justice League Dark Vol. 1: The Last Age of Magic... which was so amazing...

I mean guys seriously come on. Make an effort to post about the books you like and stop harping on these same old so called issues...

I deleted my Instagram, facebook, twitter because these services went from posting about campfires, social outings and friends activities to a constant stream of, religious, political, meme land of garbage... the services went from keeping up with your friends to keeping up with a political figure or climate change or activism...

I hate to see these forums devolve from active readers discussing the books and films to inactive individuals dumping on those of us that actively consume dc products...

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Not being interested and checking things out is one thing.

A stream of threads and posts about how shitty dc has been for the last ten years is very very different.

No one is saying folks arent wanted. Its rather put your negativity in check. No need to constantly feed it. You guys do have a choice.

Find positive things to add. We all get it. A vocal group hates the last 10 years of dc comics, flashpoint sucks, new52 didnt create a single good book, rebirth is a mess, wine wine and more wine...

It is literally stuck on broken record repeat... and these threads and comments pop up weekly...

So your not actively reading, havent read much in 10 years but you lurk on these forums and any chance you get to comment on how lame new52 was or how great preflashpoint is... well ive used these forums for bout 2 years and lurked for a year or so before that... it just gets really old.

There has to be a book you like you can start a thread about... and if not then maybe just hang back...

I am reading 50 issues a month easy. I cant even begin to keep up with dcs output. Sure there are some morr formulaic books like jl odyssey... but for every one those there is Justice League Dark Vol. 1: The Last Age of Magic... which was so amazing...

I mean guys seriously come on. Make an effort to post about the books you like and stop harping on these same old so called issues...

I deleted my Instagram, facebook, twitter because these services went from posting about campfires, social outings and friends activities to a constant stream of, religious, political, meme land of garbage... the services went from keeping up with your friends to keeping up with a political figure or climate change or activism...

I hate to see these forums devolve from active readers discussing the books and films to inactive individuals dumping on those of us that actively consume dc products...
    Well it becomes a "be the change you want to see" kind of thing. Even appreciation threads get negative at times depending on where the character is currently. I've stepped back from posting sometimes just because I feel pretty bad about something in the books and realize I probably need some time to process that in a more positive manner. I love the DCU so it can get hard as hell to always be excited when Wally is being written as a man willing to frame the mentally ill seeking aid who he killed just so he (the fastest man in the multiverse) can outrun a human gumshoe in a pointed gimp mask and Barry. That level of character assassination hurts people following Wally for 20+ years as Flash and longer as Kid Flash.

Comics will burn you, so I get it.

The only way to bring positivity to this thread and boards is to actively do so instead of chastising those who feel something they love is being mangled. Throw in those recommendations. Pre-Flashpoint? Try JSA, Robinson's Starman, Denny O'Neil and Dennis Cowan's Question run and Morrison's Doom Patrol. All really great stuff.

Pre-Crisis? Bronze Age Batman is my gold standard for the caped crusader. Denny and Neal's run is why the character is the legend he is today, but there's a lot of other great work featuring Batman at the time with guys like Englehart, Aparo, Rogers and many more working on him. Green Lantern/Green Arrow was solid as well, instant classic and damn easy on the eyes. Roy Thomas was working magic on All-Star Squadron and Infinity Inc as well.

Just to name a bit of stuff.

The best way to see a better change on these boards is to make it. Sometimes its tough, but hell so are most things.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Well, I've been here for 35 or so years so there were plenty of periods I loved and hated. Never thought about "quitting" except right after "Heroes in Crisis". It was just too much of "Seriously? That's how petty some of the TPTB are? Okay then!"

I was about to leave for good, but then I realized that that whole thing would blow up on someone's face sooner rather than later, and decided to stick along for the show. (Won't lie, it has been fun!)
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I realize this is a very negative thread subject, but is there an event, character death, crisis, reboot, or just a plain storyline ending where you said 'that's it, I'm done!!!!' in DC Comics history?
    Wait, history or story? Because those are two different things. I'm still interested in the history or lore because once upon a time there were consistency and simplicity but I have no interest in the story right now because they prove they can't be consistent

The cut-off point is about the time where I was reading but I found out they're doing retcon in the story instead of outside because it shows me that DC doesn't care about anything, learn nothing, and will just keep making mistakes, uncaring of any consistency because they can retcon things after

for me, that is the beginning of Rebirth, but I got interested again once they made the new timeline for Generation 5 because they made an attempt to be consistent

for now

who knows what will happen once the timeline is applied, will they be able to keep consistent

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    People need ways to vent, some take it too far yes but still threads like these are necesary.
    Except there is a thread for this already, so this one is redundant. Don't be surprised if it's merged with the other one before noontime.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?