Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Is there a cut-off period where you're no longer interested in DC Comics

I realize this is a very negative thread subject, but is there an event, character death, crisis, reboot, or just a plain storyline ending where you said 'that's it, I'm done!!!!' in DC Comics history?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I realize this is a very negative thread subject, but is there an event, character death, crisis, reboot, or just a plain storyline ending where you said 'that's it, I'm done!!!!' in DC Comics history?
    Eh, it was the cumulative effect, but probably the DC YOU period. The New 52 had effectively killed off my interest in their Teen Titans book even though it contained a bunch of my favorite characters, and Truth and Superheavy were uninteresting concepts for me regarding the two main franchises I cared about.

The DC YOU period feels like the nadir of the New 52 period before Rebirth.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Boisterously Confused

Hm. I'm exploring that as we speak by rereading the early 1990s. Like godisawesome said, there is a cumulative effect to it. As I see more Events piling on in the early 1990s, I find that my interest steadily wanes. Even though some great Superman and Batman were getting written in that time, the intrusion of events is palpable. On top of that, (IMO) the early 1990s is when The Teen Titans went from "struggling" to "down right bad."

There's still good stuff in and after that era, like "Panic In The Sky." But on the whole, I'd say roughly 1991-1993 was The Year(s) The Music Died for DC.

As I wrote this, it suddenly struck me that the '91-93 range coincides with the launch of Image Comics. That seems to have sucked a lot of energy out of The Big Two. Not just the departure of the best talent, but a sense that The Big Two were dominated by how-to-inflate-sales thinking at the same time that some of their most entertaining creators decided they'd rather have a bigger share than be working stiffs.

I think I'm reaching that point now with comics in general. I think I'm starting to recognize a lot of cultural elements of mainstream comics (and american comics as a whole in a sense) that're starting to really hinder my ability to enjoy and really invest in these stories and characters.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

It was the New 52 era and how most of the new series seemed destined to prematurely crumble into dust... I gave graphic novels in general a rest until Rebirth, and I've been back at it since.

Rebirth came close to getting me to quit when they went back to that broken continuity. But I tried for a little while. But they've done nothing but continue to break it more ever since, so I'm really close to cutting the cord completely now. It depends on what the post-Metal set up looks like. If its as bad as I anticipate, I'll be done. The fact about 1/3 of the line is Batman stuff too doesn't help. I'll still keep an eye on Black Label and other potential imprints, but again, running into that problem of the bulk of materials being Batman.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-07-2020 at 03:53 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Flushpoint and the nu52.

Bendis taking over Superman, i was loving the whole family dinamic going with Clark, Jon and Lois and then Bendis came along and ruined it for me.

These types or threads really do need to stop.

If you arent reading dc, or think the last 10 years of comics have sucked... then you really do need to find a new hobby and a new place to hang, rather then just constantly moaning about how bad modern dc comics are...

Like what are you all gaining by constantly making these depressing threads about how all things dc sucks?

Focus on what you do like and maybe post more about that...

Critizism can exist but if it's all cristism all the time in all these threads its pretty annoying...

I mean if you were a huge twilight fan, and suddenly people essentially trolled the twilight forums, isnt that kinda lame. Let the teenie boppers enjoy twilight, and let the droves of fans excited about modern dc books enjoy dc...

Go find something fun to do and stop hanging around here just to bring everyone down.

I’ve never abandoned DC as a whole but I dropped the Superbooks right after or around Doomed. Just couldn’t stand them anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post

If you arent reading dc, or think the last 10 years of comics have sucked... then you really do need to find a new hobby and a new place to hang, rather then just constantly moaning about how bad modern dc comics are...

Like what are you all gaining by constantly making these depressing threads about how all things dc sucks?

Critizism can exist but if it's all cristism all the time in all these threads its pretty annoying...

I mean if you were a huge twilight fan, and suddenly people essentially trolled the twilight forums, isnt that kinda lame. Let the teenie boppers enjoy twilight, and let the droves of fans excited about modern dc books enjoy dc...

Go find something fun to do and stop hanging around here just to bring everyone down.
    Yeah the constant negativity can be draining. Maybe we should have an official “DC Negativity” thread?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

For me it has to do with the writers.

I follow writers and not characters and the majority of my favorite writers have left the titles I used to follow.

When King and Tomasi were booted from their books prematurely I was infuriated and I knew I was done with the majority of DC.

I don't really care about continuity but once the major talent left, there's nothing there for me especially since this hobby is quite expensive - so I only buy books I know I will enjoy.

With the current writers on the major books I have absolutely no interest except for Green Lantern because of Morrison.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

People can still be fans without enjoying the current state of DC books and you don't have to participate in this thread. For the ones that do it can be a good form of catharsis.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Id say a decade or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I think I'm reaching that point now with comics in general. I think I'm starting to recognize a lot of cultural elements of mainstream comics (and american comics as a whole in a sense) that're starting to really hinder my ability to enjoy and really invest in these stories and characters.
    Im in the same boat brother.

People need ways to vent, some take it too far yes but still threads like these are necesary.

Nearly hit that point in the late 00s. I was down to Green Lantern and whatever Bat book Morrison was doing at the time (Batman and Robin or Inc?). JLA, JSA, Superman, Flash, Legion — a lot of stalwarts for me really fell flat.