Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 135

Thread: Spoilers WW 758

  1. #76
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,662

    Default

    Having re-read the Azzarello run a few times, I'm still not wild about Lennox or the other siblings (I'm mainly there for Diana, the Gods and the art). But I've come to appreciate them a little more after experiencing Jason.

    Jason was just next levels of obnoxious. Lennox was more restrained in comparison, and at least Siracca was pretty cool.

  2. #77
    Spectacular Member Natamaxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    All this Jason talk has me reminded of this image from the final Darkseid War pages of the Nu52



    "The True Chosen One" I... Just.... Thank you Geoff.... we... really needed that....
    If only they’d gone with the “buried on the island” choice...

  3. #78
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'm really not sure how Jason cheapens the brand any more so than Lennox or the other siblings. At least Jason is an original character compared to Hermes, Eris, Poseidon, etc.

    I do think now might be the perfect time to bring Bobbie Barnes back as Wonder Boy. Can you please remind me who Hunter is again? I seem to have forgotten that character and with it being such a generic name, that doesn't help.
    It cheapens the brand because Azzarello's siblings didn't share Hippolyta and an Amazon legacy the way Jason does. He's her twin and equal, yet he has far more powers.

    Hunter Prince is Wonder Woman's alternate future child and head and shoulders above Achilles or Jason. In his reality his mother is dead. Have him ask the gods for guidance and Biff! Bam! Boom! he's back in our dimension with his spiritual Aunt to mentor him and because he's always so pissed off let him use the name Fury.

    Hunter_Prince_(Legacy).jpgHunter_Prince_(Legacy).jpg

  4. #79
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It cheapens the brand because Azzarello's siblings didn't share Hippolyta and an Amazon legacy the way Jason does. He's her twin and equal, yet he has far more powers.

    Hunter Prince is Wonder Woman's alternate future child and head and shoulders above Achilles or Jason. In his reality his mother is dead. Have him ask the gods for guidance and Biff! Bam! Boom! he's back in our dimension with his spiritual Aunt to mentor him and because he's always so pissed off let him use the name Fury.

    Hunter_Prince_(Legacy).jpgHunter_Prince_(Legacy).jpg


    Thanks for the refresher! Ah yes, Hunter from Brian Hitch's JL run. I didn't really care for that run so I kind of blocked much of it out afterwards.

    In light of your issues with Jason, do you feel the same way about Donna who at least at one time, was a mystical twin of Diana's?
    Currently Reading: Batman: Three Jokers, Death Metal, The Flash, Hawkman, Injustice: Year Zero, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Legion of Super Heroes, Shazam, Wonder Woman, & Young Justice.

  5. #80
    Mighty Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    1,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Having re-read the Azzarello run a few times, I'm still not wild about Lennox or the other siblings (I'm mainly there for Diana, the Gods and the art). But I've come to appreciate them a little more after experiencing Jason.

    Jason was just next levels of obnoxious. Lennox was more restrained in comparison, and at least Siracca was pretty cool.
    Yeah, of all of the male relatives the comics have given WW I'd pick Lennox to keep if it were between him, Jason, Hunter, etc. He could also still mostly exist and be used in stories even if the actual relation was removed.

  6. #81
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'm really not sure how Jason cheapens the brand any more so than Lennox or the other siblings. At least Jason is an original character compared to Hermes, Eris, Poseidon, etc.

    I do think now might be the perfect time to bring Bobbie Barnes back as Wonder Boy. Can you please remind me who Hunter is again? I seem to have forgotten that character and with it being such a generic name, that doesn't help.
    Before Steve Orlando brought him back, after his heartfelt, autobiographical rationale on Twitter, I didn't see much point in bringing Jason. For a while, I favored bringing Sensation's Sargon the Sorcerer in, as a recurring super-powered, male companion, ..the way the Superman comics brought in the Guardian and some other Action Comics heroes. I still do, if only because he's fully-formed, right out of the box, ..and, unlike Jason, isn't dependent on Wonder-fan favor and nostalgic writers might just keep him around. However, Steve Orlando made the best justification for Prince Jason's existence, I've heard.

    I really want to see him get a chance, now. While I would prefer writers distinguish him, as Diana's twin from a parallel world, instead of her actual twin-twin, ..I think he could go, as far as Huntress or Power Girl.

    What I see is Cassie and Donna getting second, third and forth chances to be revised, rebooted and bla'blacetra. If it's a male Wonder or anything resembling, there is almost always a call, from our community, to junk him or kill him off, entirely.

    That is why I want Prince Jason doing his thing, as far from the WW comic, as possible, ..at least, long enough for the larger DC Comics fandom to weigh in. If Superman, Supergirl, Titans, Suicide Squad and JL writers use him well, build a fanbase for him and put him on a team, it won't matter what happens, in WW. Jason will be here to stay; he will carry the brand into places that Wonder Woman cannot, ..and he will point fans, back to the WW comic, possibly bringing more fans to WW. Lastly, WW writers will ask to use him, and, like it or not, ..he will be back!

    But, none of that happens, if we don't get Jason out of the pages of WW, for a while.

    Other things did happen, in WW #758. There's an Amazon Embassy, on an island off the coast of New England, now. Should Diana have a condo, on the island? I am warming to the idea, since writers (with exception of Orlando) seem determined to separate her from Etta and the rest of us regular folks...big mistake, I think! How do we feel about this Embassy Island being Diana's iconic residence?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-19-2020 at 01:15 PM.

  7. #82
    Incredible Member Largo161's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It cheapens the brand because Azzarello's siblings didn't share Hippolyta and an Amazon legacy the way Jason does. He's her twin and equal, yet he has far more powers.

    Hunter Prince is Wonder Woman's alternate future child and head and shoulders above Achilles or Jason. In his reality his mother is dead. Have him ask the gods for guidance and Biff! Bam! Boom! he's back in our dimension with his spiritual Aunt to mentor him and because he's always so pissed off let him use the name Fury.

    Hunter_Prince_(Legacy).jpgHunter_Prince_(Legacy).jpg
    I’m unfamiliar with this Hunter character, but I must say I like his design much more than any other dude in “Wonder garb” I’ve seen. The connection in the look is there but he doesn’t appear to be copying Diana.

  8. #83
    Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    289

    Default

    My only beef with Jason is that zero creative effort was put into creating that character. And then I guess Orlando thought that simply giving him a boyfriend would get him accepted by the fans but that didn’t work, you need to put in the effort to build up a character!

  9. #84
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I’m unfamiliar with this Hunter character, but I must say I like his design much more than any other dude in “Wonder garb” I’ve seen. The connection in the look is there but he doesn’t appear to be copying Diana.
    Yeah that's why I like him so much, his design is unexpected. Not that there's anything wrong with Diana's male counterpart being/looking gay but it's so stereotypical. It doesn't add new eyes reading the title, because it appeals to the same demographic that are already Wonder Woman fans. Therefore it doesn't fulfill the hope DC has for the book by including a male member of the WW family.

    There has to be contrast to Diana and her ideals and someone who challenges them. A rugged, handsome, rampantly heterosexual man does that and with Hunter there's built in conflict included. And if I'm being honest and allowed to generalize, the forbidden fruit aspect of a sexy straight man is something gay men fantasize about, even if he's fictional. So Hunter Prince kills two birds with one stone.

  10. #85
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,618

    Default

    I liked Hunter, but they probably should just straight up make him Diana and Clark's alternate future kid if they're going to ever use him again. I'm convinced that was the original idea anyway that wasn't allowed, hence the silly black-goo dad and Clark being a stepfather.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  11. #86
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    There has to be contrast to Diana and her ideals and someone who challenges them. A rugged, handsome, rampantly heterosexual man does that and with Hunter there's built in conflict included. And if I'm being honest and allowed to generalize, the forbidden fruit aspect of a sexy straight man is something gay men fantasize about, even if he's fictional. So Hunter Prince kills two birds with one stone.
    If DC wants to include a sexy straight man in the Wonder Woman mythos, Steve Trevor is already there.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  12. #87
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,481

    Default

    So, let me understand how this goes - the only male Wonders, we're going to find acceptable, ..must be sired by bloody Superman? Is that the page us enlightened, pro-feminist fanfolk are on, today?

    Again, Donna and Cassie get revisions, reboots, wide berths, retcons, writer-forgiveness, ..but, Hercules and Prince Jason get calls for kill-offs and senseless villainization. Hercules, who has always been a [Rhymes with pity] super-villain, like a roided up jock, part-timing as a mad scientist, ..was returned to full-on villainy, from redemption, ..TWICE. Under normal conditions, I would say that all Prince Jason's writers have to do is drop him in a few high-stakes issues of WW, with very brief, high-impact appearances, ..and he would be as popular or beloved, as old Flash, Jay Garrick.

    Conditions don't appear to be normal, though - do they? A shame some clever writer couldn't make the heroic, Perez Hercules, Jor-El's boozy uncle. He might have lasted longer.

    While I'm glad he's back, I hope Jason is kept as far away from this title, as is narratively possible. It's his only chance of being treated the way Power Girl, Huntress, Steel, Batgirl, Supergirl, Wonder Girls, bla'blacetera, boogaboo. He'll be one more potentially great WW character, who will be developed into something cool, with superhero team-ups and action figures, ..somewhere other, than the pages of WW. A shame...

    Anyway, Steve Orlando bought him some time. He needs a proper codename, though.

    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-21-2020 at 05:13 PM.

  13. #88
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    So, let me understand how this goes - the only male Wonders, we're going to find acceptable, ..must be sired by bloody Superman? Is that the page us enlightened, pro-feminist fanfolk are on, today?

    Again, Donna and Cassie get revisions, reboots, wide berths, retcons, writer-forgiveness, ..but, Hercules and Prince Jason get calls for kill-offs and senseless villainization. Hercules, who has always been a [Rhymes with pity] super-villain, like a roided up jock, part-timing as a mad scientist, ..was returned to full-on villainy, from redemption, ..TWICE. Under normal conditions, I would say that all Prince Jason's writers have to do is drop him in a few high-stakes issues of WW, with very brief, high-impact appearances, ..and he would be as popular or beloved, as old Flash, Jay Garrick.

    Conditions don't appear to be normal, though - do they? A shame some clever writer couldn't make the heroic, Perez Hercules, Jor-El's boozy uncle. He might have lasted longer.

    While I'm glad he's back, I hope Jason is kept as far away from this title, as is narratively possible. It's his only chance of being treated the way Power Girl, Huntress, Steel, Batgirl, Supergirl, Wonder Girls, bla'blacetera, boogaboo. He'll be one more potentially great WW character, who will be developed into something cool, with superhero team-ups and action figures, ..somewhere other, than the pages of WW. A shame...

    Anyway, Steve Orlando bought him some time. He needs a proper codename, though.

    lol Including two more maligned WW characters doesn't really help your case much. I wish Jason would disappear like Mr. Genie, but if he did stick around being developed in another title like JSA or something would probably be the best way to go for him. There's too much hatred for him here.

  14. #89
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    If DC wants to include a sexy straight man in the Wonder Woman mythos, Steve Trevor is already there.
    Steve's not here enough and he doesn't provide the contrast Azzarello was attempting with Lennox and especially Orion.

  15. #90
    Spectacular Member mystical41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Steve's not here enough and he doesn't provide the contrast Azzarello was attempting with Lennox and especially Orion.
    Well it'd be time to change that. But without messing up her mythos like azz did imo. Including a rapist like Zeus and a guy like Orion into her story. The attitude of those characters is not the best one to have around an iconic female character. At least not in the roles of father and a potential love interest respectively.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •