Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Spoilers WW 758

So now, we've got two islands? I can't just groan 'that Island', anymore, and everybody knows what I'm groaning about? This could be a good thing, ..in the right hands.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    So now, we've got two islands? I can't just groan 'that Island', anymore, and everybody knows what I'm groaning about? This could be a good thing, ..in the right hands.
    It should be on the shores of Gateway city but alas, it was not to be. But yea, I don't understand who would be groaning. Embassy island is a great concept that should be explored more and hopeful cemented as a main stay.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I really do not get people's obsession with Gateway City.

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    Yeah they hate him because he’s a man who behaved inappropriately towards Diana, a cardinal sin for which there’s no forgiveness in the current culture. And what’s even worse is that she kissed and almost hooked up with that “misogynistic” monster. Needless to say, that didn’t go down very well

Jason on the other hand is a catastrophically bad character both conceptually and execution-wise imo so I understand the hostility towards him. He was better left forgotten
    Maybe if Orion actually apologized for his boorish behavior instead of continuing to act like a sexist jackass, his reception would be different.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

My obsession with Gateway City stems from the idea that a fictional city of her own would add stability to the Wonder-verse. It's nearly impossible to imagine Superman or Batman being relocated to a different city each time a new creative team takes over. Metropolis and Gotham are inextricably linked to these heroes. Yet every time a new team takes over Wonder Woman, she's relocated to yet another city with yet another cast of supporting characters.

Even non-Trinity heroes have fictional cities: Flash and Central City; Green Lantern and Coast City; Green Arrow has Star City; and Hawkman had St. Roc and Atom had Ivy Town.

Having a dedicated stable sandbox to play in could allow for a lot more focused creativity in building up her world. It could also allow for various aspects of her long history to be brought together--such as having Holliday College be based in that city.

And while it need not be 'Gateway City' specifically, but I do think a dedicated fictional city would do wonders (ugh, pun) for her.

Yeah, I'd prefer to see something like Themyscira get more fleshed out. I guess a city would provide some stability for a supporting cast but that's not a guarantee and WW's spent long enough without a main city that I don't think writers would feel obligated to stick to one. Even then Gateway is behind D.C. and Boston to me when it comes to "iconic cities" associated with WW.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    My obsession with Gateway City stems from the idea that a fictional city of her own would add stability to the Wonder-verse. It's nearly impossible to imagine Superman or Batman being relocated to a different city each time a new creative team takes over. Metropolis and Gotham are inextricably linked to these heroes. Yet every time a new team takes over Wonder Woman, she's relocated to yet another city with yet another cast of supporting characters.

Even non-Trinity heroes have fictional cities: Flash and Central City; Green Lantern and Coast City; Green Arrow has Star City; and Hawkman had St. Roc and Atom had Ivy Town.

Having a dedicated stable sandbox to play in could allow for a lot more focused creativity in building up her world. It could also allow for various aspects of her long history to be brought together--such as having Holliday College be based in that city.

And while it need not be 'Gateway City' specifically, but I do think a dedicated fictional city would do wonders (ugh, pun) for her.
    Diana has operated in real life cities far more than she has in fictional ones. Gateway City, a location that was incredibly unmemorable even when it was introduced, is not going to add stability to Diana's world. You'd be far better off using Boston or Washington which have been used in Diana's celebrated runs (Perez and Rucka respectively) and the upcoming WW sequel is being set in Washington. It's telling that people talk more about what Gateway could have been rather than what it actually was.

Trying to tie Diana to a fictional city in the U.S just comes across like people trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Just because Superman and Batman have them doesn't mean Wonder Woman must have one as well, especially when her history is taken into account.

I also don't understand the obsession with Gateway. It wasn't even hers to begin with, it's Spectre's. Is Wonder Woman really that pathetic of a character that she has to borrow fictional cities from other characters? Washington or Boston are perfectly fine as her primary residence.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

She should just stay in Washington D.C.
    It's where she originally set up shop, and none of the others offer anything it can't.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's where she originally set up shop, and none of the others offer anything it can't.
    I agree.

WW PATRIOTIC 2.jpg
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 07-29-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Wow! Did not see that coming!

Diana, Orana and Nubia set up an Amazon Embassy in man's world. It's a monumental status quo change that's great for Mariko Tamaki.

Attachment 98488

And that's not all...

I liked how Hippolyta asked for the Chief Geologist, Master of Menageries and General Philippus to aid in the making of the embassy. They talked about defense and protecting the portal to Themyscira while simultaneously ending their isolation. How they're going to do that is a mystery but the Megalodons made the trip. Could other mythological beasts be close at hand? It's like a mash up of Rucka's embassy and the wonder dome but with more Amazons in America which hasn't been seen since way back when.

Like it or not Orlando has really done a lot with his time on the book.

New city, new enemies, old enemies, old friends, guest stars galore and a general overhaul of her mythos.
    I’m not sure yet, seems kinda bland to me. I am really hoping that they keep the embassy as it’s the perfect job for Diana. I would like to see better threats to her from mans world that don’t always involve Cheetah and Ares. What Diana really needs are A List rouges who can really do some real damage to Diana and to the Justice League that even Batman can’t win against. Steve Trevor for me is what Diana should keep. Maybe keep him in some part of the embassy where he can be more than just eye candy. Flesh his character out with giving him a history that makes him more interesting. As for the Amazons, I like where it’s going so far. There has to be some better dialogue when they are presented. Add to that with giving them weapons which make them hard to beat. No more bow and arrows! Lastly, Olympus, show ALL the Gods when it’s deemed necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    D.C. or NYC are where she should be imo. Those are hotbeds of politics both American and global which suit Diana perfectly imo.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Still love that cover, but it's promoting Angle Man as her greatest foe which...lol

That cover brings back memories. Wonder if Dave Cockrum ever did any other WW work for DC.

I prefer D.C. as her setting too.

Spectacular Member

...It's telling that people talk more about what Gateway could have been rather than what it actually was....
    On this point, we agree. Not enough was done with Gateway City when it was introduced and by subsequent writers/creators. I am in the camp that felt it had potential (and still could).