Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default DC heroes/villians who are more "cool concepts" then actual characters.

The Royal Flush gang: Cool visual and color scheme. the flying playing cards are also cool. The issue with them is that there isn't a definitive version of them.

Giganta: A popular visual in search of an interesting character. It's quite telling that one of Wonderwoman's most well-known rogues is so ill-defined and generic that most people don't know she's a wonderwoman villain.

Some of Superman's rogues like Bizzaro, Metallo, and Doomsday.

Some of Batman's Rogue Gallery:

Mad Hatter. Killer Croc. Ventriloquist Cool Concepts but none of the stories done with them are all that interesting, at least to me.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Over at Marvel, I imagine this is shorthanded as "Ghost Rider." There are few characters that get so much mileage out of looking cool than he does. I can't explain why I like him so much other than a shoulder shrug and bargaining that he must appeal to my inner ten year old.

Honestly, though? The Batman Who Laughs. All flash, zero substance. He comes across as the most corporate, braindead idea because he's just all the worst Batgod elements rolled into a cynical "most popular hero/villain" fusion with design elements cribbed from Judge Death.

Does Capullo draw the hell out of him? Absolutely. But he's just a cool poster. Really boring once you get a chuckle out at how I ironically popular he's become despite being so vapid.

I actually really like Giganta! She's got a lot of potential, but I admit it was in Gail Simone's All-New Atom where I really started to enjoy her. She very clearly works as a foil to the Atom, but I don't want to start giving away Diana's most iconic villains. She's a big girl, she can be in two books!
    Last edited by Robanker; 07-07-2020 at 10:04 PM.

The other Lantern Corps beyond GLC and SC. Sure the Blues, Reds, etc have some cool designs and cool moments, but there really hasn’t been any effort made in trying to justify their existences post War Of Light. That’s probably why they’ve disappeared, no one really knows what to do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Over at Marvel, I imagine this is shorthanded as "Ghost Rider." There are few characters that get so much mileage out of looking cool than he does. I can't explain why I like him so much other than a shoulder shrug and bargaining that he must appeal to my inner ten year old.

Honestly, though? The Batman Who Laughs. All flash, zero substance. He comes across as the most corporate, braindead idea because he's just all the worst Batgod elements rolled into a cynical "most popular hero/villain" fusion with design elements cribbed from Judge Death.

Does Capullo draw the hell out of him? Absolutely. But he's just a cool poster. Really boring once you get a chuckle out at how I ironically popular he's become despite being so vapid.

I actually really like Giganta! She's got a lot of potential, but I admit it was in Gail Simone's All-New Atom where I really started to enjoy her. She very clearly works as a foil to the Atom, but I don't want to start giving away Diana's most iconic villains. She's a big girl, she can be in two books!
    Ghost Rider is essentially a cool logo, with an interesting backstory, but his actual stories....

As for villains? i had to agreed with you in the Batman Who Laugths, he is the most unispired concept that i had seen in years.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I'd argue that Red Hood and the Outlaws gave us the best version of Bizarro ever and that New 52 was at the very least a step in the right direction concerning Doomsday.

Metallo's kind of a mess however, I agree.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I was about to say Metallo and Doomsday. I think Bizarro has layers though.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The other Lantern Corps beyond GLC and SC. Sure the Blues, Reds, etc have some cool designs and cool moments, but there really hasn’t been any effort made in trying to justify their existences post War Of Light. That’s probably why they’ve disappeared, no one really knows what to do with them.
    I think Saint Walker is a great character, but none of the others are memorable. There's a few great ideas behind the backstories of Red Lanterns like Dexstar, Blaze, and, most significantly, Razer (who is overdue to be introduced into the comics properly).

Boisterously Confused

I agree with you on Doomsday, but Metallo depends on the version. The Pre-Crisis one was actually a pretty rich character. If there was one single thing in the Byrne run on Superman i disliked, it was how shallow the Metallo he gave us was.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I'd argue that Red Hood and the Outlaws gave us the best version of Bizarro ever and that New 52 was at the very least a step in the right direction concerning Doomsday.

Metallo's kind of a mess however, I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I was about to say Metallo and Doomsday. I think Bizarro has layers though.
    Yeah, I'd say recently Bizzaro has had some good work done with him I was just going that the more traditional version of the character tends to not have much to him beyond the reverse-speech and some in-versing of powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I agree with you on Doomsday, but Metallo depends on the version. The Pre-Crisis one was actually a pretty rich character. If there was one single thing in the Byrne run on Superman i disliked, it was how shallow the Metallo he gave us was.
    I thought STAS Metallo was pretty cool where they played up he's lost the ability to taste or feel but yeah otherwise he's just a Terminator with green eyes instead of red.

Though for some villains like Doomsday I'd argue they don't' need much depth

Yeah, I'd say recently Bizzaro has had some good work done with him I was just going that the more traditional version of the character tends to not have much to him beyond the reverse-speech and some in-versing of powers.
    I think classic Bizarro can be oddly sweet and endearing (and even tragic) depending on how you use him.