Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    Gohan was pretty motivated to train with Goku back in the Cell games, right? So, I think he has the drive in him.

It's just that when Goku, I guess, died after fighting Cell, his mom pretty much took the reigns and forced him to become a neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd. He clearly still wanted to be at least active, especially with his wanting to be a superhero and stuff.

Granted, with Goku, Gohan REALLY starts to shine, but I think we're selling him short if we say he has no motivation.
    I don't think this is accurate.

Gohan, without any real effort, is one of the most powerful beings on earth. He likes having powers and being a hero, insofar as he doesn't mind fighting regular humans doing crimes, but he doesn't have the hunger for self improvement that Goku and Vegeta have.

He's primarily a family man and an academic, he also went through a shitload of traumatic stuff pretty consistently from when he was four years old up until he was like what... twelve? So I could imagine that might make him less than fond of the idea of cultivating his own strength. There's basically nothing in his character that suggests he's very interested in training or improving his strength outside of when he is forced to because a world ending monster has shown up or the entire universe is at stake.

You reference the Cell Saga, dude was still a child. He didn't know what he wanted and his dad was intending for him to fight a killer super android bent on destroying all of humanity. He had to train because it was either that or the world ends. Based on everything he did in peacetime as an adult - going to school, getting a job, getting a wife and a kid and all that - that shows he doesn't really care to train and get stronger.

Vegeta and Goku blow off their families and other commitments to train and fight all the time because it's what they want to do. Gohan doesn't because he doesn't want to.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    Gohan was pretty motivated to train with Goku back in the Cell games, right? So, I think he has the drive in him.

It's just that when Goku, I guess, died after fighting Cell, his mom pretty much took the reigns and forced him to become a neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd. He clearly still wanted to be at least active, especially with his wanting to be a superhero and stuff.

Granted, with Goku, Gohan REALLY starts to shine, but I think we're selling him short if we say he has no motivation.
    I mean, Gohan likes training in that it generally involves hanging out with some of his favorite people for extended periods of time and he has at least a bit of the general Saiyajin zest for combat, plus he has a sense of duty where he will train if there is something important to fight for coming up, but he doesn't really train for a love of training and getting stronger for the sake of getting stronger, which is what Goku/Vegeta/Tenshinhan/Piccolo/etc. do.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I want to comment but there are too many spoilers involved.

Just know that what you say is absolutely not what the manga is showing us now. Gohan is many orders of magnitude below Vegeta.
    Dbs manga isnt canon and has zero merit to it whatsoever. Akira has nothing to do with it, he lets Toyble so what he wants with it while he himself works on the anime since he isnt happy with how the writers were handling it.

I honestly wouldnt use the manga to wipe my own rear. Even if I find the Moro stuff interesting.

Hogan is taking training aeriowusly now, that was kinda the point after the fight with Frieza and hos session with Piccolo. He likes to fight like any saiyan, just nowhere near as much as his dad.
    Last edited by Cody; 07-11-2020 at 05:48 AM.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Im sorry but idk why people keep bringing up the DBS manga when its been said numerous times on here that it isnt canon and has zero merit to ot whatsoever. Akira has nothing to do with it, he lets Toyble so what he wants with it while he himself works on the anime since he isnt happy with how the writers were handling it.
    Pretty much. Toriyama has reportedly been off-hands with the Moro arc while he's drafting scripts for the anime, which affirms again that DBS anime canon supercedes DBS manga canon.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!