Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default “Forgotten” Star Wars Stories

Got this idea from a side conversation in another thread.

Let’s talk the Star Wars stories that aren’t the usual discussion fodder on this board.

Wraith Squadron - The old Legends X-Wing series that was one part Dirty Dozen, one part Leverage, one part G.I. Joe, this is the Aaron Allston series that makes grown men laugh!... Then cry! Then go “Hell Yeah!”

Knight of the Old Republic (Comic) - A D-average Jedi Padawan on Taris during the Mandalorian Wars arrives late for his class’s promotion ceremony because of some hidings involving a local con-man... only to find his classmates dead and their masters standing over them, Lightsabers lit.

Lost Stars - Two students at the Imperial Academy fall for each other... right before the Death Star destroys Alderaan and he defects to join the Rebellion and she enters denial about what the Empire is.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Star Wars Jedi Apprentice series. Starts from when Qui Gon Jin and Obi Wan first meet, and ends just before Phantom Menace (with a couple of stories taking place after Obi Wan takes Anakin as his Padawan).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Star Wars Jedi Apprentice series. Starts from when Qui Gon Jin and Obi Wan first meet, and ends just before Phantom Menace (with a couple of stories taking place after Obi Wan takes Anakin as his Padawan).
    Xanatos was an archetypal “Dark Jedi” villain for that series, a bit over the top in his obvious villains and cut-and-paste pseudo-Sith design.... but I still liked him!

And Siri Tachi was a great character from there into Jedi Quest. She was already pretty ignored during TCW’s production when Satine showed up, but it does make a compelling case that Obi-Wan has a weakness for high-spirited and argumentative blondes.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Any other Knight Errant fans out there?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Man, Wraith Squadron was so great!

I haven't read Knight Errant, but will when it hits Epic Collection format, I imagine.

Is anyone else a fan of Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor? It has some flaws, but I really enjoy what might be the only "competent and not really doubting himself" Luke Skywalker story. That's not to say Luke isn't competent in other EU stuff, but he's always doubting himself at the beginning and needs a pep talk from someone.

Lastly, I don't think it's the best series or anything, but man did I enjoy the Black Fleet Crisis. The Yeventha were sufficiently sinister, the Lando/Lobot story was particularly weird and fun (a bit of a throwback to the Lando Calrissian Adventures), and Luke's quest to find his mom and other Force traditions was, frankly, a more interesting story than it had any right to be (and is still better than what we got after the prequels in terms of Luke and Leia learning about Padme).
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Any other Knight Errant fans out there?
    Yeah!... though I’ll confess I read the book Jackson Miller published instead of the comic. The “Sith Court” made up of that single family was a nice twist in the usual idea about them!

I tend to find Zane Carrick from KOTOR a slightly more interesting protagonist than Knight Errant’s Kerra, but not by much.
    Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Man, Wraith Squadron was so great!

I haven't read Knight Errant, but will when it hits Epic Collection format, I imagine.

Is anyone else a fan of Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor? It has some flaws, but I really enjoy what might be the only "competent and not really doubting himself" Luke Skywalker story. That's not to say Luke isn't competent in other EU stuff, but he's always doubting himself at the beginning and needs a pep talk from someone.

Lastly, I don't think it's the best series or anything, but man did I enjoy the Black Fleet Crisis. The Yeventha were sufficiently sinister, the Lando/Lobot story was particularly weird and fun (a bit of a throwback to the Lando Calrissian Adventures), and Luke's quest to find his mom and other Force traditions was, frankly, a more interesting story than it had any right to be (and is still better than what we got after the prequels in terms of Luke and Leia learning about Padme).
    Shadows of Mindor may be the greatest endorsement of sourcebook “Arc Welding” and “Noodle Incident” lore work - I remember something close to a decade of realizing it was becoming something akin to a running gag of all the cool things you could stick into the Battle of Mindor when it wasn’t actually in a book or comic... only for the actual book to arguably live up to *every one* of those cool things. The fact it’s also effectively the last real appearance of any substance by Fenn Shysa, the only Marvel Mandalorian, alos ups it’s impact.

And yeah, it’s maybe the best Luke-lead story post-ROTJ in both continuities, even including Zahn, Johnson and other’s contributions.

Black Fleet Crisis is a story I haven't got around to reading, but everything I’ve read in reviews of it says it’s something close to a story where even if the whole doesn’t work for you, the components are all pretty good.

...But back to a Wraith Squadron for a bit.

There’s so much of that series that’s awesome, but one of the best executed elements of a “high concept“ for me is that of Lara Nostil/Gara Petothel/Kirney Slane.

I usually don’t have much time for identity crisis stories, whether they have some existential storyline or even just plain amnesia. But having a spy basically get so lost in their mask that they become it, only to hav it get shattered when revealed, then forge an entirely new one? Pretty damn awesome!

...Also, the fact that I was so heavily invested in her and Myn Donos’s relationship made me realize that I’ve definitely got an actual interest in romantic fiction, even over-the-top and convoluted romantic fiction, even though I thought I didn’t. Although... I’d argue the quality of Allston’s work on it also proves that I’ve got quality standards for the romance I’m reading/viewing. Well written characters will get me buying in, not just the convoluted plot.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Yeah!... though I’ll confess I read the book Jackson Miller published instead of the comic. The “Sith Court” made up of that single family was a nice twist in the usual idea about them!

I tend to find Zane Carrick from KOTOR a slightly more interesting protagonist than Knight Errant’s Kerra, but not by much.

Shadows of Mindor may be the greatest endorsement of sourcebook “Arc Welding” and “Noodle Incident” lore work - I remember something close to a decade of realizing it was becoming something akin to a running gag of all the cool things you could stick into the Battle of Mindor when it wasn’t actually in a book or comic... only for the actual book to arguably live up to *every one* of those cool things. The fact it’s also effectively the last real appearance of any substance by Fenn Shysa, the only Marvel Mandalorian, alos ups it’s impact.

And yeah, it’s maybe the best Luke-lead story post-ROTJ in both continuities, even including Zahn, Johnson and other’s contributions.

Black Fleet Crisis is a story I haven't got around to reading, but everything I’ve read in reviews of it says it’s something close to a story where even if the whole doesn’t work for you, the components are all pretty good.

There’s so much of that series that’s awesome, but one of the best executed elements of a “high concept“ for me is that of Lara Nostil/Gara Petothel/Kirney Slane.

I usually don’t have much time for identity crisis stories, whether they have some existential storyline or even just plain amnesia. But having a spy basically get so lost in their mask that they become it, only to hav it get shattered when revealed, then forge an entirely new one? Pretty damn awesome!

...Also, the fact that I was so heavily invested in her and Myn Donos’s relationship made me realize that I’ve definitely got an actual interest in romantic fiction, even over-the-top and convoluted romantic fiction, even though I thought I didn’t. Although... I’d argue the quality of Allston’s work on it also proves that I’ve got quality standards for the romance I’m reading/viewing. Well written characters will get me buying in, not just the convoluted plot.
    I love Shadows of Mindor. "Ok, you won, but how are you going to get paid?" Lando to the Mandolorians.

Wraith Squadron is truly the TV show I would love Disney to do next. Star Wars Mission Impossible type would be a lot of fun.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I love Shadows of Mindor. "Ok, you won, but how are you going to get paid?" Lando to the Mandolorians.

Wraith Squadron is truly the TV show I would love Disney to do next. Star Wars Mission Impossible type would be a lot of fun.
    Warlord Zsinj is an amazingly creative and fun villain in Allston’s hands.

His Raptors were also kind fo sadly forgotten after those books were done. If they made a TV show with it, I’d abuse the fact that Zsinj’s Empire was set-up in Mandalorian space to develop the Raptors more.

I started with the novel, too. Got the first comic, but have been holding out on the rest hoping they'll put out an Epic Collection of the complete series.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

BFC is probably the only SW trilogy from the old EU where the plots really don't converge much at all - it's basically the opposite of a Zahn plot wherein all the elements tie together very neatly at the end (which I also enjoy). I haven't read it in 20 years, but it's one of the few non-X-Wing, non-Zahn pieces of pre-NJO EU that I still own and intend to re-read. If you're a Zahn fan, it also fits in pretty nicely with his conception of Luke and his power, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post

Something in the spirit of Wraith Squadron would be a wonderful companion to The Mandalorian. Some of the one-off bounty hunters and Imperials could move between shows pretty easily. While they wouldn't necessarily have to bring in all the original Wraiths, there's not a whole lot in the new continuity that would prevent it, either. And we haven't had a lot of good humor in SW since Disney took over. . .

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I started with the novel, too. Got the first comic, but have been holding out on the rest hoping they'll put out an Epic Collection of the complete series.
    I'm waiting on them to get to so many specific points in the SW Epic Collections family. Knight Errant, Menace Revealed 3, Clone Wars 4, New Republic 6 (Crimson Empire), Rebellion X (no idea on a number, but Shadows of the Empire), etc., etc. Why doesn't Marvel cater to my needs specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I'm waiting on them to get to so many specific points in the SW Epic Collections family. Knight Errant, Menace Revealed 3, Clone Wars 4, New Republic 6 (Crimson Empire), Rebellion X (no idea on a number, but Shadows of the Empire), etc., etc. Why doesn't Marvel cater to my needs specifically?
    As I understand it, Epic Collections are published so rarer material gets out first.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Some see BFC as a bit of a proto-NJO, with the New Republic battling a formidable, bizzare alien force as opposed to the usual Empire/Sith threats.

The "search for Luke's mother" bit is also weird, although of course it doesn't contradict the prequels because it was sort of a con job. The Lando/droids side story also seems more like something out of Star Trek.

The Correlian trilogy is also kind of forgotten a bit too, although Han's cousin (Who I always pictured as Harrison Ford at the beginning of "The Fugitive" and I think the cover seems to use that too) and Centerpoint station do play parts in later novels.

It also inspired the Star Wars galaxy magazine cover of Han Solo battling a giant ferrett.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

iMan 42s

Ghost Prison is great. Kind of inconsequential but definitely worth the read despite it. Crimson Empire also deserves a lot more love despite it being one of the more well known Legends books.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Ghost Prison is great. Kind of inconsequential but definitely worth the read despite it. Crimson Empire also deserves a lot more love despite it being one of the more well known Legends books.
    Crimson Empire is the epitome of the kind of “hard action movie” stuff SW could do without needing the Force to play a very big role. Kir Kanos vs Carnor Jax *does* give Jax the Force, but it’s still mostly a straight up duel.

Paul Gulacey’s Art has some blind spots in faces... female anatomy... and such, but he’s very good at action scenes.

Also... my nomination for funniest Star Wars story is X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar.

Mighty Member

Also... my nomination for funniest Star Wars story is X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar.
    Silly Squadron and Dinner Squadron, Lieutenant Ketch, Face and Phanan, the trip to Storinal (and the Agamar triplets) all agree that Wraith Squadron ought to be in contention here.