Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    English is not my first language, perhaps I have written something inappropriate. Of course this would not apply to minors.

What I mean is that when I see Logan I don't even think he is 100 years old, I read him as if he was 45 years old or so. Even Old Cable seems more "mature" than Logan and is not that old.

It's hard to talk about the ethics of age difference relationships with immortals.
    Jean is the same age as her generation of X-men, Wolverine is centuries old. As immortals they're not equivalent.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Is this accurate? I was under the impression that they could set you to any age they wanted, and their memories would only go up to that period of time. For example, if Jean was brought back to an age she was before the Phoenix Force came into her life, then she’d have no direct memories of its influence.
    Nope.

Jean's entire mind/memories up to the day she left for the Orchis mission would have been downloaded and backed-up by Xavier via Cerebro.
    When she died and went through the RP her body would have been aged up to the point of peak physicality (in her mid-late twenties...?) then Xavier would download her psyche with all her memories into her new body. She would remember everything up to the very last download/save Xavier enacted before they left for the mission (inclusive of her experiences with the PF of Claremont's run right up to her rejecting it.)

The point being...this Wolverine is probably in his late-30's/early-40's and this Jean is probably in her late 20's....for a 10-15 years age difference.

And yes...they can choose to have their memories edited during the RP process.

Of course, they would not have any recollection of what occurred on the mission and its outcome just prior to and after they died on Orchis.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-14-2020 at 06:45 PM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Jean is the same age as her generation of X-men, Wolverine is centuries old. As immortals they're not equivalent.
    He is in his 130s actually, still a young adult for immortal standars . As for age, if we get that strict, Mystique is the only age-appropiate love interest for him and frankly....no, Aaron pretty much destroyed that idea, especially after "Goes To Hell" and "Back in Japan". As for ethics, as long as the woman in question is in her mid-twenties at the least, i don't see a reason to complain.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Ultimate Member

Thanks to the nature of telepathy, forcing her to share the lives and experiences of everyone around her, at times, and having actually absorbed the experiences of lives not her own (such as those of the Phoenix-pretending-to-be-Jean, or Redd, in the future), I think of Jean as a bit of an 'old soul,' with experience and maturity beyond her chronological years.

Thanks to his own memory chock full of holes and wasted years when he sat in the woods and drank, I don't think of Wolverine as Obi-wan, the hoary old mentor with a head full of wisdom. If there's a 'power imbalance' in their relationship, it sure as hell doesn't tilt in his favor because he's old. He's a firecracker. She's an atom bomb. This will always be true.

Finally, I don't really give a crap about age, as long as they are both adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Nope.

Jean's entire mind/memories up to the day she left for the Orchis mission would have been downloaded and backed-up by Xavier via Cerebro.
    When she died and went through the RP her body would have been aged up to the point of peak physicality (in her mid-late twenties...?) then Xavier would download her psyche with all her memories into her new body. She would remember everything up to the very last download/save Xavier enacted before they left for the mission (inclusive of her experiences with the PF of Claremont's run right up to her rejecting it.)

The point being...this Wolverine is probably in his late-30's/early-40's and this Jean is probably in her late 20's....for a 10-15 years age difference.

And yes...they can choose to have their memories edited during the RP process.

Of course, they would not have any recollection of what occurred on the mission and its outcome just prior to and after they died on Orchis.
    Is that confirmed? I might be misremebering but I feel like there was something in HOXPOX about how they didn't know if the body/mind having different ages could cause a problem, implying that they didn't do that...

Jean and Scott also lived about 15 years in the future raising Cable. SO add that experience to their pushing 30 minds and they are more like 50 year olds. Not to mention Jean also has the memories of Madeline Pryor who was probably mentally 10 years old [yikes] when she met scott.

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    Jean and Scott also lived about 15 years in the future raising Cable. SO add that experience to their pushing 30 minds and they are more like 50 year olds. Not to mention Jean also has the memories of Madeline Pryor who was probably mentally 10 years old [yikes] when she met scott.
    I think you mean physically she was 10 years old, I don't think many 10 years old that could fly a plane....work a 'super computer' etc.
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    I think you mean physically she was 10 years old, I don't think many 10 years old that could fly a plane....work a 'super computer' etc.
    She was not physically 10. She was physically in her mid 20s, just like Jean and Scott.

Amazing Member

Interesting...

Jean, Scott, and Storm come across as people in their early to mid 30s to me.

Wolverine don’t look a day younger than 40.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    She was not physically 10. She was physically in her mid 20s, just like Jean and Scott.
    Physically, she ‘looked’ twenty something, but was not. Sinister created and artificially aged her, she had not existed for twenty something years.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Physically, she ‘looked’ twenty something, but was not. Sinister created and artificially aged her, she had not existed for twenty something years.
    and thats exactly what Im referring to. Her body was not one of a 10 year old

lol yeah I think Maddy is like the one case where "age is just a number" is acceptable and applicable. physically designed in essentially a test tube and then implanted w/ 20+ years of memories... what "age" means to us is something completely different to her

on this subject, does Maddy even age? Will she Ever pull out a stray grey hair ? I guess w/ limbo magic anything is possible
    edit: lol fully thought this was the Maddy appresh thread
    Last edited by houndsofluv; 07-16-2020 at 09:10 PM.

I totally agree, but members of the cult of the mutants as Hickman has written them are as loyal to this version of mutants as Trump supporters are to Trump. Many of them make it clear they'd support mutants if they decided to launch an all out genocide against the rest of humanity, because of how they have suffered.

Now that they are all fabulously wealthy and spend their time slumming in the human world complaining about its shortcomings, it's like rooting for Zuckerman or Bezos. Hickman has turned all the mutants into decidedly unlikeable characters. I really have no interest in the whole business angle, and the focus on sex is boring. Comic book writers seem to have a very unrealistic view of sex in general as if they are individuals who rarely ever have sex and never have had hot, good sex which makes all the scenes about it cringeworthy. It's like I'm reading a pre-pubescent boy's idea of what sex is like.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonincentex View Post
    I totally agree, but members of the cult of the mutants as Hickman has written them are as loyal to this version of mutants as Trump supporters are to Trump. Many of them make it clear they'd support mutants if they decided to launch an all out genocide against the rest of humanity, because of how they have suffered.

Now that they are all fabulously wealthy and spend their time slumming in the human world complaining about its shortcomings, it's like rooting for Zuckerman or Bezos. Hickman has turned all the mutants into decidedly unlikeable characters. I really have no interest in the whole business angle, and the focus on sex is boring. Comic book writers seem to have a very unrealistic view of sex in general as if they are individuals who rarely ever have sex and never have had hot, good sex which makes all the scenes about it cringeworthy. It's like I'm reading a pre-pubescent boy's idea of what sex is like.
    Don't worry, Hickman and the writers realise that Krakoa aren't the "heroes" of this story. He's doing the same thing like he did with the Avengers with the Illuminati and Cabal. This is just the set up part, Hickman hasn't been shy about foreshadowing this is all going to end in tears. Or perhaps next X-men villains who are Bizarro X-men/Brotherhood.