Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

I really loved this issue. I was actually behind and read it back to back with #9, and that might help for those who didn't felt as much.

Jean confronting Beast, Jean with Sage and Black Tom, Jean with Logan in the end. This was the best issue for her since the beginning of DOX. I wish she had been on the cover.
    Last edited by Wiccan; 07-09-2020 at 05:05 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'm absolutely loving X-Force but...what I'm not loving is Beast being written like an incompetent, shady idiot.

It was interesting for an arc or two but...this Beast is so very far removed from X-Factor Beast and NXM Beast and AXM Beast...I can understand why some readers are speculating this is Dark Beast. His characterisation is really awful.

Personally, I'm thinking, Sublime Beast (since this era has many Morrison connotations) Beast experimenting with Kick back then and not getting completely off of it would explain his behaviours and distinct lack of common sense.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I'm absolutely loving X-Force but...what I'm not loving is Beast being written like an incompetent, shady idiot.

It was interesting for an arc or two but...this Beast is so very far removed from X-Factor Beast and NXM Beast and AXM Beast...I can understand why some readers are speculating this is Dark Beast. His characterisation is really awful.

Personally, I'm thinking, Sublime Beast (since this era has many Morrison connotations) Beast experimenting with Kick back then and not getting completely off of it would explain his behaviours and distinct lack of common sense.
    I mean, hasn't he been on this path since bringing the O5 into the present? This isn't out of character for Beast at all. I actually think it makes him more interesting, super genius characters do have the potential to become dangerous know it alls like The Maker and it makes for interesting storytelling. Beast is kind of a douche, it should be his relationships with the rest of the X-Men, Avengers, and whoever else that keep him down to Earth and not full on Dark Beasty.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Admittedly, I've only read about Bendis (ugh!)-Beast...but have no clue as to the reason why he did what he did back then. (I do remember thinking that's OOC for Beast and thank the Goddess I'm not wasting my money on that.)

But yes I am aware that he's been shady for a while, that's why it's a bit perplexing now that other characters were given a "soft reboot" but Hank is still this awful mis-characterised "not Hank".

Beast, at least UXM/Avengers/XF/NXM/AXM-Beast was not a "douche". That's why what he did with the TO5 was so annoying to me. And why subsequent writers have kept pushing that iteration.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-09-2020 at 05:59 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Spectacular Member mattsarchamp's Avatar

I think this book is overrated. It's just that the casts are out of character. The story feels like a very lazy plot and having Jean getting cozy with Logan is done so out of character. Kiliing off characters here and there is not making the story very constructive. Sorry, I know I'm just a minority in not liking the story of Benjamin Percy or maybe Jonathan Hickman has a hand in this plot. I hope the characters like Domino, Colossus and Sage are handled with respect with more screen time, maybe with Quentin too. The only thing I like is the art of Joshua Cassara. Just an honest feeling and thought.

Yeah, super out of character. Like all those times they were shown to be close, be attracted to one another, kissed, etc. This **** really came out of left field and ruined comics for me. *Obviously being a smartass here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I really loved this issue. I was actually behind and read it back to back with #9, and that might help for those who didn't felt as much.

Jean confronting Beast, Jean with Sage and Black Tom, Jean with Logan in the end. This was the best issue for her since the beginning of DOX. I wish she had been on the cover.
    Agreed. And I went back and read #9 too and then re-read issue #10. Highly recommend it.

I'm still amazed, that after decades of attraction, desire, sexual tension between Jean & Logan, people are like "whuuut? Jean & Logan sleeping together???? It makes no sense. It's coming from nowhere!"

I’m just ignoring the folks in hysterical denial of this fact from here on out. Life is just better when you don’t listen to people who are being willfully obtuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I’m just ignoring the folks in hysterical denial of this fact from here on out. Life is just better when you don’t listen to people who are being willfully obtuse.
    Their relation is so obvious that many alternate medias and/or comics alternate realities have them together. I mean, even CC put them together in X-Men Forever's annual with no warning.

Quote Originally Posted by franckd View Post
    Their relation is so obvious that many alternate medias and/or comics alternate realities have them together. I mean, even CC put them together in X-Men Forever's annual with no warning.
    They were also together in the AoA, and again in Uncanny X-Force when 616 Logan slept with AoA Jean. They’ve kissed on panel more times than I can count, and expressed attraction to one another on panel in speech and thought balloons. Both of them. Not unrequited love on Logan’s part, but rather mutual attraction. Yes, they are good friends, but also much more than that. And now they are officially, undeniably lovers. Folks are just gonna have to come to grips with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Admittedly, I've only read about Bendis (ugh!)-Beast...but have no clue as to the reason why he did what he did back then. (I do remember thinking that's OOC for Beast and thank the Goddess I'm not wasting my money on that.)

But yes I am aware that he's been shady for a while, that's why it's a bit perplexing now that other characters were given a "soft reboot" but Hank is still this awful mis-characterised "not Hank".

Beast, at least UXM/Avengers/XF/NXM/AXM-Beast was not a "douche". That's why what he did with the TO5 was so annoying to me. And why subsequent writers have kept pushing that iteration.
    Even with the soft reboot I can't think of any characters whose personalities drastically changed post-HoX. The status quo has changed but the characters have largely stayed the same and fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you feel about it, that includes douche-y Beast. I liked the bouncing lovable version of his personality too, but the characters and the world they live in has changed a lot. It's expected for them to change with it, for better for worse, just like people in the real world.

They were also together in the AoA, and again in Uncanny X-Force when 616 Logan slept with AoA Jean. They’ve kissed on panel more times than I can count, and expressed attraction to one another on panel in speech and thought balloons. Both of them. Not unrequited love on Logan’s part, but rather mutual attraction. Yes, they are good friends, but also much more than that. And now they are officially, undeniably lovers. Folks are just gonna have to come to grips with it.
    I am a fan of Jean Grey and I do love Logan very much. Loving them also means (for me) knowing the (long) history they share from he moment them met till the moments they kissed. They had it, that passion, that desire, that attraction for each others, but were to afraid or to reasonable to go for it. But at some point, you can allow yourself to live what you feel, and that's what they're are doing now. Logan & jean tell it perfectly : Jean says that logan thinks she's too good for him. Logan says she needs him but he might be (a necessary) poison for her. I love that. Because poison can kill, but little balanced doses of poison can also make you stronger.

Especially Jean. Who has shown she is strong enough to host a cosmic deity. She can handle a little poison. That’s precisely the point, and why I think they make a great couple. She’s not some wallflower that needs protecting all the time, and yet that’s who she generally is when paired with Scott. Thinking back to the 90s in particular and the Animated Series, where she basically fainted every episode just to give Scott a reason to scream, “JEAN!”

And the ones who like her that way... well, it just says a lot I suppose. I’ll leave it at that.

Especially Jean. Who has shown she is strong enough to host a cosmic deity. She can handle a little poison. That’s precisely the point, and why I think they make a great couple. She’s not some wallflower that needs protecting all the time, and yet that’s who she generally is when paired with Scott. Thinking back to the 90s in particular and the Animated Series, where she basically fainted every episode just to give Scott a reason to scream, “JEAN!”

And the ones who like her that way... well, it just says a lot I suppose. I’ll leave it at that.
    The 90's Den mother fainting Jean is my nightmare version of Jean. I think some writers don't love Jean because of that. I'm just grateful Benjamin Percy is not one of them.

Agreed. 100%.