Default JUSTICE League Dark Vol 1, 2 and The Witching Hour

After really enjoying Superman Wonder Woman from the New 52, I collected first 3 Wonder Woman Volumes from Rebirth, bunch of origin stuff and then a story about her being hospitalized in a mental hospital... the story didnt quite grab me, did anyone continue one with volumes 4, 5, 6, etc? Any big fans of the series?

Any case I got distracted with collecting other books and never followed where Rebirth all went...

Few months ago I read some praise for Justice League Dark Vol 1 The Last Age of Magic... so I bought it right away as I was really wanting a Wonder Woman story I was really excited about.

Damn was that book good, Detective Chimp was a real stand out for me too. Reminded me of how I felt about Constantine in Injustice Volume 3, just really exciting snappy, witty characterization.

So today I just ordered The Witching Hour at my local comic shop, and would have bought JL Dark Vol 2 Lords Of Order but the one copy they had on the shelf had a crack on the spine.

Who else is following this story, I just loved the art and writing, felt really fresh and think Tynion has done something no other writer has really done, made me really excited about a magic centric story.

If you haven't read this yet get on Vol 1 asap.
    51EcSKq6IWL.jpg

It's a fun series for the most part, I wouldn't mind if Tynion got a chance to takeover the main Wonder Woman book or a Zatanna series to see how he handles them in non-horror settings. It's probably the best use of WW in a team/ensemble book but that is a low bar.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    It's a fun series for the most part, I wouldn't mind if Tynion got a chance to takeover the main Wonder Woman book or a Zatanna series to see how he handles them in non-horror settings. It's probably the best use of WW in a team/ensemble book but that is a low bar.
    Easily and she makes a far better anchor for the JLD than any other member of the Big Seven, so I'm glad she's both giving them some more exposure and getting a second book as a result. It's nice to see Diana get a team to lead.

Spectacular Member

Tynion's run on Justice League Dark has definitely been a fun ride. He's also been rather good at writing a capable and considered Wonder Woman. This book has definitely been a high point of Wonder Woman's recent depictions.

Another recent (one issue only) solid depiction of Wonder Woman is Si Spurrier's first issue of Justice League.

Rucka's second outing on Wonder Woman was a good time for me. He's a slow-burn writer and you either like it or you don't. I enjoyed his Rebirth story and appreciated the alternating storylines.

I've been loving JLD, the writing has been great, the characters work well together, everyone is used well, the book is one of the few I look forward to.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Easily and she makes a far better anchor for the JLD than any other member of the Big Seven, so I'm glad she's both giving them some more exposure and getting a second book as a result. It's nice to see Diana get a team to lead.
    Yes, at the moment I'd be more interested in seeing Diana going forward interact more with Zatanna, Fate, or Swamp Thing than the other standard League members.

With Witching Hour, James Tynion gave us a Circe, who deserves her revenge.

Best Circe story, evah, ..before reading Witching War! Seriously...better than WOGs! Because Tynion followed that, with giving her a simple and coherent origin and motivation, JLD is the first time, since the Golden Age, that Circe makes sense, as a super-villainess.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-09-2020 at 07:23 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Yeah as someone who is more of a casual Wonder Woman fan, I’ve read her stuff in trade just never constantly followed like I do other characters, I really liked the work that was done with her in JLD and I like most of the team overall. I’m especially glad that Tynion put the work in Khalid as Dr. Fate, I read his ongoing so I’m glad he wasn’t abandoned after Rebirth and they took time to establish him as the new Dr.Fate.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Might be a controversial opinion, but I think JLD has been the strongest WW showing since Rucka’s Rebirth. She’s capable and her Rogues are presented as serious heavy hitters. JLD has been one of my favorite books since it launched, and thankfully Ram V has done an excellent job of picking up where Tynion left off so far.