Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spectacular Member

One thing to consider across Morrison's Batman run was that he did nods to many different eras comics across the run. I don't think he was saying all of the episodes from the 50s were a hallucination, he just used that to nod to some of those comics. There is also a nod to some 50s story with the 'league of Batmen' tales too.

Damian is a nod back to Son of the Demon from the 80s
    Man-bat & Talia back to the Adams/O'Neil/Robbins era
    Lord Death Man was a single used villain in the New Look 60s & he tied it to some of the odd Japanese Batman takes from 60s/70s.

There are more, but that was just off top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Some happened some didn't. The more outlandish one didn't.

Like for example, his rogue did get sillier compared to the Golden Age. Batman complained that he's supposed to be a dark knight fighting crime, not facing gimmick villains. He feels like a joke doing it... but there's no... say... space adventure, time travel, alien invasion, flying Batcave, and Bat-Mite is a hallucination.

He explains it that way because he wants to reconcile different eras of Batman, while still operating under the rule of Post Crisis where Batman is a more grounded character.
    Pretty much this, though Morrison takes a very Robert Anton Wilson approach to Bat-Mite being a hallucination, pointing out there isn't a difference between being real and fake for a 5th Dimensional Imp. "Imagination IS the Fifth Dimension."

BANNED

What about the three Batmen cops? Were they actually in a storyline back then or were they invented specifically for Batman: RIP?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Denkota View Post
    What about the three Batmen cops? Were they actually in a storyline back then or were they invented specifically for Batman: RIP?
    Nah they're invented for RIP but you're supposed to imagine they've been on the force for years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    Nah they're invented for RIP but you're supposed to imagine they've been on the force for years.
    Dang and I spent hours looking for the particular storyline after not seeing it in the casebook TPB. Wish I had asked that question sooner here. Anyway thanks for the info.

I've learned when trying to understand any of Morrison's work that involves characters and continuity is just don't bother all I ever got was a massive headache that lasts for days, just go with the flow and try not to think too hard about it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Was Morrison stating that every 50s Batman adventure was a simulation? What about Kathy Kane Batwoman and Betty Kane Batgirl? Betty Kane had proven to obviously exist due to her appearances prior in comics such as Geoff Johns and Ben Raab's Beast Boy miniseries. Kathy Kane as well turned out to be real when she appeared in the pages of Batman Incorporated.

I thought Batman RIP as a story worked very well, but this plotpoint always bugged me. It also felt unnecessary. Why would Morrison feel he has to explain away the more sillier aspects of Batman's history when things just as goofy happened in the pages of titles such as Superman and Wonder Woman around the same time period?
    1. Morrison’s run is fundamentally built on the foundation that every Batman comic book story that’s ever been written has happened (aside from some else worlds).

2. Some of the crazier aspects he absolutely used the guide of a hallucination to get around them fitting

3. Not every 50’s Bat comic is a simulation. Batwoman and Batgirl flat out exist in Morrison’s timeline.

4. You have to realize that pre Morrison all those 50’s and 60’s stories weren’t continuity anymore. So that was his compromise. It was a clever way to make them work tonally while also building the threat of Dr. Hurt

5. Those SM and WW stories aren’t in continuity

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

So did DC erase the previous Earth-1 and Earth-2 continuities with "Crisis on the Infinite Earths", to create a new continuity (the New Earth one) and Morrison used his run to reinsert the pre-crisis continuities in the Post-Crisis one? If I can say my opinion, I would say it was a brilliant way to solve a problem that didn't exist.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    So did DC erase the previous Earth-1 and Earth-2 continuities with "Crisis on the Infinite Earths", to create a new continuity (the New Earth one) and Morrison used his run to reinsert the pre-crisis continuities in the Post-Crisis one? If I can say my opinion, I would say it was a brilliant way to solve a problem that didn't exist.
    Sort of. He only did it for Batman and he modified it so every story counts in a way but it kinda is configured enough to make sense. That’s why some of the crazier pre crisis stories are hallucination

In the Silver Age, Alfred wrote imaginary stories of Robin and Betty becoming Batman and Batwoman 2. At least one or two.

Were those Bruce's hallucination too?

Given the age difference between Kate/or Kathy and Betty/Bette, it is not likely that the old Bat-girl was Alice. If we were doing timeline, the adventures of the first Batwoman and Bat-girl would have happened around the time Kate was in boot camp or in the military. I feel Bette is about 6 or 7 years younger than Kate.

Despite Morrison's 'gas' and hallucination ideas, we know that silly or not, the Dc universe has aliens and extra terrestrials as well as the other sci fi concepts of the time. They were a part of Superman's 'verse, so there is the possibility that some/few of those encounters happened, despite gas effects, etc.