71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Independent

42 59.15%
  • It's a bat-team

29 40.85%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post
    The end of the Outsiders story in Batman: Urban Legends #3 says their story will be continued Fall 2021. It appears the line-up will be Black Lightning, Katana, Metamorpho, Duke Thomas, and a mystery fifth character.
    I don't mean to throw shade on the characters, but I don't understand why they're returning with 80% the same damn cast.

It wouldn't be the Outsiders without Black Lightning, Katana and Metamorpho on it. It also gives Duke a place beyond just the Bat Family, otherwise he would fade into obscurity.

I'm guessing the fifth member is Jace.

Black Lightning and Katana were focused upon in Ridley's other history of DC universe so him taking them and adding Jace to the mix might make sense. It would also give them a reason to keep using "Batman and the Outsiders" name.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Not entirely sure given that it’s apparently Black Lightning who calls in this mystery character, if it was Katana I could see it but Lightning I assume it’s like his daughter or something.
    Katana might have advised him to take Jace. And also, considering, that their title normally called ''Batman and the Outsiders'', it's actually pretty logical move to get Jace in this team, I doubt they will do just ''Outsiders'' title without Batman in it, even if it isn't Bruce.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It wouldn't be the Outsiders without Black Lightning, Katana and Metamorpho on it. It also gives Duke a place beyond just the Bat Family, otherwise he would fade into obscurity.

I'm guessing the fifth member is Jace.
    Says who? The Outsiders did okay with Nightwing, Arsenal, etc for a good while.

The failure of the last series can be placed at the feet of the writer, don't get me wrong. But if you barely change anything, why should anyone expect a different result?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

The failure of the last series can be placed at the feet of the writer, don't get me wrong. But if you barely change anything, why should anyone expect a different result?
    well for one, at least one of those three characters have appeared on the Outsiders on just about every take on the team. so says who? I'd say says DC, most writers, and probably most fans.

why would they expect a different result? maybe because it's a different run which will more than likely have a different creative team? maybe because the characters weren't the issue, it was the previous writer failing to properly capitalize on the team they had? can we put an end to the school of thought where we pretend like it's these characters that are intrinsically what's wrong or right with these story failing or succeeding? someone like Batman isn't popular because he's just some intrinsically nigh-perfect peak fiction character, he's had decades of amazing creatives make him a compelling character. the last Outsiders run had all the ingredients for a compelling run, and it actually had promise for it's first 6 issues or so. it had action, good to great art, a more than solid cast of character, interesting (in theory) expansions on their powers; it was the writing, the pacing, and the fact that the writer clearly wanted to be writing a Batman book and not an Outsiders book that let it down.

despite the team's different iterations, The Outsiders aren't The Suicide Squad. they don't need to be nor were they designed to be a constantly rotating cast. the smart move is always to do what you're supposed to do with the continuity of a shared universe and build on what came before instead of dashing it away needlessly.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

That was very much a edgy Titans book masquerading as an Outsiders book. Once an actual Titans book was launched again, the Outsiders were left searching for direction again.

IMO, the Outsiders have potential, writers recognize that but nobody has cracked the winning formulae yet. I think the Outsiders need to be a team like Marvel Knights team; a group of street level heroes who save the world but keep to the shadows and avoids the spot light. I don't mind Batman leading the team as long as Black Lightning and Katana aren't subservient to him and they're all on an equal footing. If not Batman then it should be Black Lightning.

Extraordinary Member

That was very much a edgy Titans book masquerading as an Outsiders book. Once an actual Titans book was launched again, the Outsiders were left searching for direction again.
    But sofar that seemes to be the most popular incarnation of the Outsiders.

I think the Outsiders need to be a team like Marvel Knights team; a group of street level heroes who save the world but keep to the shadows and avoids the spot light.
    Problem is that they had often characters on the team that didn't really worked with that premise.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I don't have a deep history with the title, skipping a few runs along the years. I did however read the latest volume and enjoyed it, the art was fantastic.
    For me Batman does not need to be an active member of the team, like this last series showed. He bankrolled it, showing up in a managerial manner. Bruce in the role of Amanda with a strikeforce is a good concept.
    My Outsiders must have at least Black Lightning, Katana and one direct Batfamily member. Keep Metamorpho busy as a Terrific, I've just never taken to him as an interesting character. With Jean Paul Valley not active and his stint in JLOdyssey only two arcs I'd like to see Azrael on the team.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

NOTE: This thread was originally started back in July 2020.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

With 63 people having voted,
    * Independent = 37 votes
    * It's a bat-team = 26 votes

Extraordinary Member

It doesn’t feel right for Bruce to be in charge of the current team

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    It doesn’t feel right for Bruce to be in charge of the current team
    Agree, it creates a perception that the characters(especially Black Lightning) are lapdogs.

NOTE: This thread was originally started back in July 2020.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

With 65 people having voted,
    * Independent = 38 votes
    * It's a bat-team = 27 votes

"Independent" still has an 11-point lead over "Bat-team".

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post
    The end of the Outsiders story in Batman: Urban Legends #3 says their story will be continued Fall 2021. It appears the line-up will be Black Lightning, Katana, Metamorpho, Duke Thomas, and a mystery fifth character.
    I hope they're not making Harley Quinn that "mystery" fifth character.

The Creeper would be cool.