Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired

It's kind of irksome to me that Gotham City is presumed to be the place where all the Batman stories happen, so most stories end up being set in the city. I think some of the greatest Batman stories of the past were the ones where he went on far flung adventures to exotic places. I really like those kinds of stories--and not just for Batman--pretty much any character I like to see them going on a big adventure that takes them out of their comfort zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I forgot about this. I do enjoy it when you get to see a good part of the hero's life. As long as its not soap-opera like.

Some characters get better treatment in that respect than others. Superman has almost always been strongly tied to Clark Kent's job & social circle. I know many Bat-fans complain that Bruce Wayne is now just a disguise, rather than an actual part of Batman's character. The Lantern's seem to be powered on full time. Rucka had Diana doing human rights work, which I really liked.
    If there is one criticism I'd give DC writers is they dont take enough advantage of heroes personal lives and relationships...

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Injustice is a travisty, a complete defamation of Superman as a character. A lot of Geoff Johns' Justice League felt this way. I can't believe how he wrote Hal Jordan in the New Fifty Two Green Lantern series as some brash frat boy, considering how well he wrote Jordan before Flashpoint.
    I read at least 8 trades per month... or like 50ish floppies...

I own hundreds of trades... I vastly favour favor collecting Superman, of any hero. Superman is my favourite comic book hero.

Ive never once thought an elseworlds story like Injustice as a travisty... its an awesome "what if" story, and is exceedingly well written and personally I find it hard to predict what will happen...

Of course its not how I would always want to see Superman portrayed, but I love lots or variety and like having such different styles of art and writing... would be boring if every book and portrayal was essentially a carbon copy...

I was a massive fan of Legion of Superheroes and New Teen Titans back in the 80s, coincidentally when they we're two of DCs biggest sellers.

What I REALLY don't like are endless reboots.

Legion in particular has been ruined by being rebooted so many times in relatively recent times that readers don't have a clue what's going on and lose interest.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I can't believe how he wrote Hal Jordan in the New Fifty Two Green Lantern series as some brash frat boy, considering how well he wrote Jordan before Flashpoint.
    That was a pretty big surprise to me too. I could see why he wanted to lean into that side of him a little bit since it's his "early days" and it sets him apart from the other League members, but he went too far with it.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's kind of irksome to me that Gotham City is presumed to be the place where all the Batman stories happen, so most stories end up being set in the city. I think some of the greatest Batman stories of the past were the ones where he went on far flung adventures to exotic places. I really like those kinds of stories--and not just for Batman--pretty much any character I like to see them going on a big adventure that takes them out of their comfort zone.
    Yeah that's a good point. I miss seeing that aspect of Bats. I feel like GA more easily lends himself to that dynamic in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Thanks, I'm glad you like the thread. I was hoping it would interest people.

As for the plain clothes and experiencing normal life, you may want to pick up Marv Wolfman and George Perez's New Teen Titans from the 80s if you haven't already read it. There's about 11 TPB and several omnibus collections available. You learn so much about who these characters are in their personal lives and it's amazing what those two creators did with that book for five years.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Teen-Tita...s=books&sr=1-3

Found volume 5 by wolfman for 10$ at my used book store. Will start here and see what i think!

Thanks for suggestion

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Found volume 5 by wolfman for 10$ at my used book store. Will start here and see what i think!

Thanks for suggestion
    I will say this, those of us who read NTT or The Giffin + Levitz LoSH or Watchmen in first run do tend to remember a little extra bit of magic in it that not everybody else may see. You got to understand, those books were unbelievably different than anything DC had done before at the time. There's some referent effect that may be unique to the most enthused among us.

I think you'll enjoy it anyway, but if you want something that will kind of give you a taste of what I'm talking about, before you start Wolfman+Perez NTT, read a couple of random issues of the previous series of Teen Titans from the mid-1970s on Comixology.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 07-11-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post

Thanks for suggestion
    No problem. I look forward to seeing how you like the book. Too bad you weren't able to locate the first one, but the introduction to Terra is a good storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    No problem. I look forward to seeing how you like the book. Too bad you weren't able to locate the first one, but the introduction to Terra is a good storyline.
    They had used copies of 5 and 7.. if 5 interests me i can get earlier volumes, but not discount prices, would be new

I like stories where the heroes are smart and competent, not infalible, but actually good in what they do. Like Hal in the current The Green Lantern.

I don't like stories where the heroes are dumb and incompetent, where they appears to succeed more by luck than anything, I have to feel like the character actually deserved to win. is okay to be the underdog, as long as he works toward the victory and not stumble in it. Usually this happens in team books or when a new villain appears.

Straw man stories in which the heroes beatdown caricatures to prove their moral superiority. Action Comics 775 is an example.

Stories glorifying the Silver Age without examination.