Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marvel debuts new OGN line with Scholastic

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...-young-readers

Marvel Entertainment and Scholastic, the global children’s publishing, education and media company, today announced a multi-year Original Graphic Novel program featuring some of Marvel’s most iconic Super Heroes including Miles Morales, Kamala Khan, Shuri and more! These new stories will launch as part of Scholastic’s Graphix Media line, building from the success of Marvel and Scholastic’s prose collaboration program that kicked off earlier this year.
    Next spring, Marvel and Scholastic’s new OGNs will make their debut with Miles Morales: Shock Waves, written by bestselling author Justin A. Reynolds (Opposite of Always and the forthcoming novel, Early Departures) with art by Eisner Award-nominated artist Pablo Leon (The Journey)!

“Ever since he entered the Marvel Universe a few years ago, Miles has struck a deep and personal chord with fans around the world,” said Lauren Bisom, Editor of Marvel’s juvenile publishing. “As Spider-Man, he embodies that classic coming-of-age story. But as Miles, he represents so much more—and his life experiences, his culture, and his ability to embrace his inner strength make him one of the most important and inspirational heroes in the Marvel Universe.”
    In Miles Morales: Shock Waves, Miles Morales is a normal school kid who happens to juggle school at Brooklyn Visions Academy while swinging through the streets of Brooklyn as Spider-Man. After a disastrous earthquake strikes his mother’s birthplace of Puerto Rico, Miles springs into action to help set up a fundraiser for the devastated island. But when a new student's father goes missing, Miles begins to make connections between the disappearance and a giant corporation sponsoring Miles’ fundraiser. Who is behind the disappearance, and how does that relate to Spider-Man?

Following Miles Morales: Shock Waves, Marvel and Scholastic will debut all-new adventures following Kamala Khan, written by rising graphic novel writer Nadia Shammas, and Shuri, written by New York Times bestselling author Roseanne A. Brown! More details on these new OGNs will be released in the coming months.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Sounds pretty cool. Kids read more than just about anyone, and Scholastic knows how to get books into their hands. I'm excited to see what comes of this.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Sounds pretty cool. Kids read more than just about anyone, and Scholastic knows how to get books into their hands. I'm excited to see what comes of this.
    In total agreement with you. This is awesome to hear. Whatever gets more books into kids hands to read I’m all for it.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Just kind of bummed that Sam is never included in these type of things.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Nova's not as popular as Miles and Kamala. They'll do Riri and Nadia before they do him.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

So the Marvel equivalent of DC Zoom? Pretty cool .
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I'm kind of surprised they're using the "usual suspects" and Squirrel Girl isn't in it. I wouldn't be surprised if Nadia/Wasp gets one too.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Good to see Marvel is still working with Scholastic Magazine.

Nadia is about to have her novel but she'll likely get one.

Same with Runaways.

Sam will depend if anyone wants to write for him.

Lunella, Riri, Nadia, even the YA crew and Runaways might get more attention though. I do think Snowguard will get something before Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    Nadia is about to have her novel but she'll likely get one.

Same with Runaways.

Sam will depend if anyone wants to write for him.

Lunella, Riri, Nadia, even the YA crew and Runaways might get more attention though. I do think Snowguard will get something before Sam.
    I think Sam is dependent on wider media exposure. He just hasn't hit it big like Miles, Kamala, or Shuri have.

But those three you mention probably have a good shot. I'm not sure if I see something for the Runaways coming out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Sounds pretty cool. Kids read more than just about anyone, and Scholastic knows how to get books into their hands.
    Do they? Isn't it more of a captive audience?

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna
    Marvel still needs to figure out which one to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend
    Nova's not as popular as Miles and Kamala. They'll do Riri and Nadia before they do him.
    I tend to see Sam and Kamala as equals, it's just the company seems more bullish on Ms. Marvel.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Sam is dependent on wider media exposure. He just hasn't hit it big like Miles, Kamala, or Shuri have.
    It also doesn't help that he was created by Jeph Loeb and Feig seems to be on a mission to eliminate all his projects which isn't helping his movie chances.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not sure if I see something for the Runaways coming out of this.
    They got a young adult novel a while back, so it's not impossible. Although I guess they were promoting more Runaways stuff back then because of the show (like their Funko POP line, which was entirely based on the show). Now that that's dead and the future of the current ongoing book is uncertain, who knows just how interested Marvel will be in putting the Runaways in the spotlight again.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I tend to see Sam and Kamala as equals, it's just the company seems more bullish on Ms. Marvel.
    If the company is more bullish on Ms. Marvel, then that's because they are not equals. She is the main character of a big console video game, will get her own live-action solo show, and has a long-running ongoing comic book which hasn't been cancelled yet. Sam definitely wouldn't be lagging behind like he is if Marvel thought of him as Kamala's (or Miles') equal.

Niffleheim

I was actually looking forward to a sequel to Jason Reynolds Miles Morales' book.

Shuri, avengers, miles and ms marvel are the first four books it looks like.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/cult...-stone-excerpt

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Do they? Isn't it more of a captive audience?

Marvel still needs to figure out which one to use.

Kamala is more successful as a character than Sam. I’d even argue she’s more popular than Richard Ryder too.