Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Do they? Isn't it more of a captive audience?
    Yes, Scholastic book fairs go to grade schools rather than expect the students to drive to one of the ever fewer book stores in existence. They offer easily affordable books, and various goodies from a variety of publishers in every genre imaginable. They've stocked age-appropriate Marvel/DC collected editions for decades at this point. Their monthly book orders made it even easier when they weren't physically present at a school. The only issue to book fairs were that they'd run out of stock quickly if something was popular enough, not usually an issue with their order service.

Honestly, who cares that it's a captive audience? Scholastic does well for itself, and kids get all the books they could ever want. These new OGNs are going to be the new Marvel Digests, and are going to get a lot of youngsters hungry for more.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Speaking as a Miles fan I would love to see Marvel spread the wealth and push some of the other male teen heroes too. Like it's kind of lopsided when you see they are willing to use Kamala, Nadia, Riri, Lunella, Doreen, and Spider-Gwen in all types of stuff but when it comes to the guys they kind of throw in the towel after Miles. I guess because they just always de-age the adult heroes into being young instead.

Most we really got there was Patriot and Inferno being in the Marvel Rising videos but I don't think they had the biggest reach.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    They got a young adult novel a while back, so it's not impossible. Although I guess they were promoting more Runaways stuff back then because of the show (like their Funko POP line, which was entirely based on the show). Now that that's dead and the future of the current ongoing book is uncertain, who knows just how interested Marvel will be in putting the Runaways in the spotlight again.
    I know, but it seems like they're going for the more popular and...kid-friendly younger heroes, I guess?
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Kamala is more successful as a character than Sam. I’d even argue she’s more popular than Richard Ryder too.
    Nova is a niche property by comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Speaking as a Miles fan I would love to see Marvel spread the wealth and push some of the other male teen heroes too. Like it's kind of lopsided when you see they are willing to use Kamala, Nadia, Riri, Lunella, Doreen, and Spider-Gwen in all types of stuff but when it comes to the guys they kind of throw in the towel after Miles. I guess because they just always de-age the adult heroes into being young instead.

Most we really got there was Patriot and Inferno being in the Marvel Rising videos but I don't think they had the biggest reach.
    Now that you mention it, does Marvel have a successful male teen/young adult hero other than Spider-Man?

None of their male teens same to get the same level of promotion or publicity that the girls do.

I guess there's maybe Cho but I wouldn't put him on the level of Miles and Kamala.

Amadeus is easily the next most successful male Champion, yes. He was one of the two successful products of Amazing Fantasy vol 2, along with Anya Corazon, and regularly appeared in Hulk and Hercules comics since until he got his own book and then joined the Champions and Atlas.

But what about Wiccan and Hulkling? They're popular, right?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Shuri, avengers, miles and ms marvel are the first four books it looks like.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/cult...-stone-excerpt

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    That article is talking about prose books, not graphic novels.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Amadeus is easily the next most successful male Champion, yes. He was one of the two successful products of Amazing Fantasy vol 2, along with Anya Corazon, and regularly appeared in Hulk and Hercules comics since until he got his own book and then joined the Champions and Atlas.
    Yeah, I guess by process of elimination it's pretty much Cho.
    ut what about Wiccan and Hulkling? They're popular, right?
    As one of Marvel's most prominent gay couples, yeah...but on the level of Miles? I'm less sure.

If the company is more bullish on Ms. Marvel, then that's because they are not equals. She is the main character of a big console video game
    Another way to look at it is she is the character you play as until you can get to the characters that everyone is buying the game for.

will get her own live-action solo show,
    Good move to make, maybe Disney will actually have Captain Marvel say hello to her.

and has a long-running ongoing comic book which hasn't been cancelled yet.
    When the person who runs Marvel Comics is credited as one of the characters creators (Sana Amanat) a certain level of security comes with it.

Sam definitely wouldn't be lagging behind like he is if Marvel thought of him as Kamala's (or Miles') equal.
    Sam's problem stems from the fact that he was created by Jeph Loeb, and Feig is making sure that all his media projects are scrapped. This doesn't bold well for Sam.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

So, how much money and begging would it take to get Raina Telgemeier to do just one?
    Last edited by Anthony W; 07-10-2020 at 11:33 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know, but it seems like they're going for the more popular and...kid-friendly younger heroes, I guess?

Nova is a niche property by comparison.

Now that you mention it, does Marvel have a successful male teen/young adult hero other than Spider-Man?

None of their male teens same to get the same level of promotion or publicity that the girls do.

I guess there's maybe Cho but I wouldn't put him on the level of Miles and Kamala.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

But what about Wiccan and Hulkling? They're popular, right?
    Like there's been a couple of attempts to launch a big teen hero, Sam was probably the first notable one since he made his debut at just about the same exact time Miles did. That Sean Ryan relaunch kind of hurt the character though. Was really apparent in that Marvel Generations Graphic Novel. That had Sam and Rich on the cover and then proceeded not to include them in the book.

Patriot/Rayshaun Lucas was the other one, but whatever plans Marvel had for him kind of crashed and burned because of the reception to Secret Empire, and Marvel immediately going into damage control mode to it.

So by default I'd then say Amadeus Cho and Robbie Reyes. Robbie is kind of a hard character to market to kids though because Ghost Rider as a whole doesn't really lend itself to being Kid-Friendly.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 07-10-2020 at 11:44 AM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

So, how much money and begging would it take to get Raina Telgemeier to do just one?
    They should team Gene Luen Yang and Gurihiru together again .
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Like there's been a couple of attempts to launch a big teen hero, Sam was probably the first notable one since he made his debut at just about the same exact time Miles did. That Sean Ryan relaunch kind of hurt the character though. Was really apparent in that Marvel Generations Graphic Novel. That had Sam and Rich on the cover and then proceeded not to include them in the book.
    Not to mention they had Sam as Nova in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, although I think that had the opposite effect they were going for promotional-wise...
    Patriot/Rayshaun Lucas was the other one, but whatever plans Marvel had for him kind of crashed and burned because of the reception to Secret Empire, and Marvel immediately going into damage control mode to it.
    I also don't think it helped that Marvel might be able to use Eli Bradley again, and Rayshaun was partially supposed to be his replacement.

Yeah, three members of Zub's Champions team weren't in Outlawed. Cho because he'd joined the Agents of Atlas (so, he apparently left the team after Incoming), Dust presumably went back to the X-Men, but Patriot was also absent, and he has no in-universe reason not to still be on the team. I'm pretty sure he's history. They could've had him quit because of Kamala's Law. Instead, they just didn't show him, he vanished. As though they want us to forget he existed.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They should team Gene Luen Yang and Gurihiru together again .
    Very few creative teams have as solid a track record as Yang, and Gurihiru. Everything we know about this line screams their names. If nothing else, I would love a new Gurihiru Power Pack project.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Ultimate Member

A BLANK check and zero editorial interference.

Mighty Member

I love the fact that they're partnering with Scholastic. I know at my niece's school book fairs that comics tend to sell out pretty easily along with manga and fancy reference books.

Now, when do we get a Gurihiru Power Pack series? Get Gene Luen Yang and Gurihiru on it, Marvel!

this is cool news, this is the demographic and format that's seeing the most growth over recent years, so it's in their best interest to try and tap that market. Marvel has had books do well with Scholastic before, with Moon Girl and Squirrel Girl, which didn't do so hot in the direct market but sold super well with Scholastic, so I am actually surprised to not see Moon Girl, considering she has already done well with the Scholastic crowd.