Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retired

Yeah, I wondered about this myself some time ago and found that it was a name for fast cars. I may have even posted that on the message board. It's a lot like roadster--do people still use that for sports cars?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Yeah, I wondered about this myself some time ago and found that it was a name for fast cars. I may have even posted that on the message board. It's a lot like roadster--do people still use that for sports cars?
    That's a good question, Jim. It was kind of passe when I was kid back in the '70s.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    That's a good question, Jim. It was kind of passe when I was kid back in the '70s.
    Back when I was a kid, I used the term "speedster" for Quicksilver (with whom my friend was not familiar).

Later, when we were playing he called me a speed-er!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I have no problem with Clark's glasses. :P She's just supposed to wear a cowl.

Also, I'll admit to some annoyance that, as a general rule, it's much more important for female heroes to look "pretty" - giant eyeholes that show their eyes instead of fuller face coverings or white lenses that hide their eyes, as so many men have. Obviously that doesn't apply to Clark (or to Jay and Barry, as is more relevant to thread), but it's still irksome.
    However, that is a problem with Batgirl cowl too, since it totally shows her eyes, mouth and hair.

Barry is a similar case, although he doesn't show his blond hair.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Back when I was a kid, I used the term "speedster" for Quicksilver (with whom my friend was not familiar).

Later, when we were playing he called me a speed-er!!
    I only have heard the word used for fast superheroes myself. Most likely kids of my generation who never or rarely read comics would have reacted the same way as your friend.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I only have heard the word used for fast superheroes myself. Most likely kids of my generation who never or rarely read comics would have reacted the same way as your friend.
    True. My friend was ignorant of Quicksilver and speedster and called me a criminal, lol!

But that is why I previously posted only comic fans would probably be aware of the term, despite the fact that it goes back 100 years (or more). Maybe it just takes a Wordsmith?

Extraordinary Member

Yes, they still do. Porsche, McLaren, and others all use the name on various models.

Extraordinary Member

BTW, do DC and the others have people who know or have a way to find answers to questions like this or even more obscure? I would think they should, if for no other reason than to answer writer's questions when they're working on a title. But do the editors just sort of fill that role, or is there someone with a formal title and job description to do that?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Yes, they still do. Porsche, McLaren, and others all use the name on various models.
    I get what TDD is saying though. Seems like "roadster" as a popular name for a car type went out of style somewhere in the 1940s or 1960s. Terms like hotrod and sportscar took over.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I get what TDD is saying though. Seems like "roadster" as a popular name for a car type went out of style somewhere in the 1940s or 1960s. Terms like hotrod and sportscar took over.
    The name just refers to a simple, fast convertible or open top car with few luxuries meant for fun. These days, there isn't as much of a market for that, especially the "few luxuries" part, which pushes that category into the term "roadster", which is pretty much the same thing, but with an emphasis on looks and some luxury, and usually a less powerful engine. More in tune with the times, I suspect. I think some motorcycles also use the term in their name.

You are right I think in perhaps assuming that the term hotrod is the successor to speedster in spirit.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    The name just refers to a simple, fast convertible or open top car with few luxuries meant for fun. These days, there isn't as much of a market for that, especially the "few luxuries" part, which pushes that category into the term "roadster", which is pretty much the same thing, but with an emphasis on looks and some luxury, and usually a less powerful engine. More in tune with the times, I suspect. I think some motorcycles also use the term in their name.

You are right I think in perhaps assuming that the term hotrod is the successor to speedster in spirit.
    Personally, I prefer roadster. It implies a certain elegance.

Extraordinary Member

Personally, I prefer roadster. It implies a certain elegance.
    It does, and it's usually backed up by delivering on that. I'd love to have one of those, not so sure about a hotrod or an old speedster. I think they were made back then for the crowd who drive Lamborghinis, Ferraris, McLarens obviously, and Bugattis these days. I'd rather a big AMG Mercedes, or a Maybach or a Maserati, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    So true.

I mean, it’s no worse than...THE BIG RED CHEESE!
    Shazam's nickname. Well, he's big, he wears red, and because he's actually a kid, his speech patterns, at least before New 52, were always wholesome and polite, no foul language or arrogance. Hence why he was called a cheese. The name did make sense back then. Not so much for the modern version though.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    It's pretty dumb, nearly as dumb as glasses being Supermans diguise.
    Because it doesn't hide your identity very well? Ms. Marvel explores this topic - when she finally told her friends she was a superhero, it turned out they'd figured it out a long time ago.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

When did the word "speedster" become a thing?

Ad for a 1906 Cleveland Speedster from https://www.classicspeedsters.com/bl...-1-of-a-series

Extraordinary Member

It actually goes back a little over a hundred years ago as a term for that era's fast cars, FWIW.
    Good man! I thought reading through this I'd have to jump in and point that out. Beautiful machines BTW. Deadly, but beautiful.