Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,984

    Default When did the word "speedster" become a thing?

    I checked Merriam-Webster, "speedster" ain't a word. When did comics make it so?

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    5,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I checked Merriam-Webster, "speedster" ain't a word. When did comics make it so?
    I don't know. But I am sure it is a term only superhero fans are aware, not the general population.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    2,536

    Default

    According to this...

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.col...lish/speedster

    ...the word speedster’s been around about a hundred years.

    Word origin
    [1915–20; speed + -ster]
    This word is first recorded in the period 1915–20.


    Now, when was the word first used in comics?

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Now, when was the word first used in comics?
    I'd be interested if it was used before "Scarlet Speedster" or not.

    Edit: BTW, just glanced and "the super-speedster" was used in Flash 109 (Nov. 1959 cover date). Don't know if used before or consistently used after.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-09-2020 at 04:49 PM.

  5. #5
    Extraordinary Member Güicho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post

    Now, when was the word first used in comics?


    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post

    Edit: BTW, just glanced and "the super-speedster" was used in Flash 109 (Nov. 1959 cover date). Don't know if used before or consistently used after.
    Yeah Scarlet Speedster and Startling Speedster were already used in Showcase # 4 (Sep 1956) Barry's first appearance.



    -




    Re: Edit:

    although it was already being used for Jay
    randomly looking around (haven't checked them all LOL!) finding examples of Scarlet Speedster already being used at least as far back as https://i.imgur.com/pdXoBbE.jpg Flash #40 April 1940 - #48 Dec 1943

    (lol pic quality)


    likely even further back. (there is also All-Flash, All-Star and Cavalcade where he was appearing)

    As Riv86672 sites above, the word was already well in use.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-10-2020 at 07:10 AM.

  6. #6
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    22,694

    Default

    Huh. It's odd that Jay has any colour related nicknames, since he wears blue pants and thus isn't mostly scarlet like Barry. Hell, golden age Green Lantern wore just as much red. The TV show calls Jay the Crimson Comet, which I assume was also used in Jay's original comics run, but equally doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Huh. It's odd that Jay has any colour related nicknames, since he wears blue pants and thus isn't mostly scarlet like Barry. Hell, golden age Green Lantern wore just as much red. The TV show calls Jay the Crimson Comet, which I assume was also used in Jay's original comics run, but equally doesn't make a lot of sense.
    They called Batgirl the "Dominoed Daredoll" when she didn't wear a domino mask. Just have to roll with it, I guess.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    2,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    They called Batgirl the "Dominoed Daredoll" when she didn't wear a domino mask. Just have to roll with it, I guess.
    So true.

    I mean, it’s no worse than...THE BIG RED CHEESE!

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    nevermind, off topic
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-10-2020 at 06:45 AM.

  10. #10
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    52,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    They called Batgirl the "Dominoed Daredoll" when she didn't wear a domino mask. Just have to roll with it, I guess.
    Well, I guess the "mask" part of her cowl is a bit of a domino mask...and she wears one now, so ...

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, I guess the "mask" part of her cowl is a bit of a domino mask...and she wears one now, so ...
    I have an unreasonable degree of dislike for her wearing a domino instead of a cowl.

  12. #12
    Mighty Member SixSpeedSamurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I have an unreasonable degree of dislike for her wearing a domino instead of a cowl.
    It's pretty dumb, nearly as dumb as glasses being Supermans diguise.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, and Young Justice.
    My runs: Batman #260- and Detective #444-, every issue since I was born.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    It's pretty dumb, nearly as dumb as glasses being Supermans diguise.
    I have no problem with Clark's glasses. :P She's just supposed to wear a cowl.

    Also, I'll admit to some annoyance that, as a general rule, it's much more important for female heroes to look "pretty" - giant eyeholes that show their eyes instead of fuller face coverings or white lenses that hide their eyes, as so many men have. Obviously that doesn't apply to Clark (or to Jay and Barry, as is more relevant to thread), but it's still irksome.

  14. #14
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    It's pretty dumb, nearly as dumb as glasses being Supermans diguise.
    I've always head-cannoned that away as Superman having the kind of face-muscle control S&S gave him in a couple of the first issues of Action Comics that let him significantly alter his appearance.

    As for Batgirl, yes, she's a cowl-gal. Not a domino-trix.

  15. #15
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I don't know. But I am sure it is a term only superhero fans are aware, not the general population.
    It actually goes back a little over a hundred years ago as a term for that era's fast cars, FWIW.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •