View Poll Results: Who is better X-Men Writer?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hickman

158 87.29%
  • Bendis

23 12.71%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

HOX is kind of a masterpiece and the new status quo is great, so I'd go with Hickman, but I think Bendis' ANXM and UXM were much more entertaining than Hickman's X-Men(as in, the title) has been so far.

Bendis uses way too much dialogue and everyone uses the same speech patterns and ends up sounding alike. His run on Uncanny was horrible. However, I did enjoy "All New X-Men" with the O5.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    HOX is kind of a masterpiece and the new status quo is great, so I'd go with Hickman, but I think Bendis' ANXM and UXM were much more entertaining than Hickman's X-Men(as in, the title) has been so far.
    Yeah, I feel like they kind of neutered Hickman a bit by making him Head Of X. His responsibility is to give all the creative teams space to live their best lives, which is great, but that does also mean he's put his own storylines in a holding pattern instead of constantly dropping Hickman megatonnes on the Krakoa status quo.

I guess his Avengers spent a bit too long in scene-setting stories that were not all resolved because of suddenly having to race to the end, when Secret Wars was due in six months.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 07-13-2020 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Yeah, I feel like they kind of neutered Hickman a bit by making him Head Of X. His responsibility is to give all the creative teams space to live their best lives, which is great, but that does also mean he's put his own storylines in a holding pattern instead of constantly dropping Hickman megatonnes on the Krakoa status quo.

I guess his Avengers spent a bit too long in scene-setting stories that were not all resolved because of suddenly having to race to the end, when Secret Wars was due in six months.
    Did he have to cut his Avengers run short for Secret Wars? I don't know why Marvel was pressed because the All-New All-Different status quo was literally the same.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Did he have to cut his Avengers run short for Secret Wars? I don't know why Marvel was pressed because the All-New All-Different status quo was literally the same.
    Not as far as we know it, at least I don't think he went on record to say it. There was a number of editorial interventions (like having to start the run with the MCU Avengers roster, accomodating Thanos in Infinity also to tie in with the movie, not using teen Jean Grey as the Phoenix in Secret Wars and such things), but the time skip might have been the result of Marvel wanting Secret Wars out as soon as they could.

As for the topic at hand, Hickman can do more character work with a couple of pages than Bendis can do with an entire arc. He did more for Mystique than Bendis, who wanted her to be the mutant Hood, the only villain he knows how to write, than Bendis did in a number of issues. That's just one example. He was good at creating characters that mattered (two out of The Five are his OCs) and revolutionary Cyclops was a GRRRREAT concept that was poorly handled, but that's pretty much the extent of his legacy. So of course Hickman takes the lead, by a LONG mile.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Seems kinda unfair since Hickman probably hasn't put out a full year of content due to the virus.

But House of X and Powers of X has been pretty refreshing considering the mess we've been fed since post-Secret Wars. But the X-Men title has some winners (Crucible) and stinkers (Whoredeculture).

Bendis' run started off great. I actually liked Battle of the Atom. The O5 has a cross-over with SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN and HULK. Then there was the Guardians of the Galaxy events. Bendis also wrote Cyclops, Emma and Illyana pretty well.

Then somehow Uncanny went to crap during Original Sin and All-New after Black Vortex. At least both books were better than The Defenders; that was some piss taking.

Also I'm glad Bendis will never write Laura again. Holy balls.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I enjoy Bendis and think he's an entertaining writer across the majority of his projects, however he can't do epic storytelling if it was staring him in the face. His stories and characters just don't have the necessary gravitas, his endings can sometimes be big but that's really because he's allowed to do status-quo-changing stuff ("No more mutants") and not because he's able to convey any real big emotional pay-off. Again, I actually enjoy Bendis but he's immensely more limited than Hickman.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    For Xavier, sorry, I disagree, it’s new.
    Before, we were witnesses of his regrets, hesitations, doubts… he was shady when he was between a rock and a hard place… at least, from his point of view.
    Now, he doesn’t seem to care.
    Wasn't he down with the casual mind wipes in the Silver Age? Along with sending teenagers out to fight his battles for him.
    Chuck is complicated, but he's always had some shadiness to him. Which makes him interesting.

Also seems early to dismiss it has him not caring, as opposed to there maybe being a reason for why he's more closed off. Let's see if there is a payoff first before definitely saying it's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    This Magneto is not the same man to agree with that course of action, he's more likely to join the Brotherhood. Whatever Moira did to him changed him for passionately protecting Rogue, to casually dismissing her being physically abused by Apocalypse ins schemes with a shrug.
    He casually dismissed her before. Remember promising to help her gain control of her powers, and it taking a couple decades before he even got around to it?
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 07-13-2020 at 07:25 AM.

Man, the Black Vortex sure was a MacGuffin that threatened to change everything about the Marvel Universe and leave characters permanently changed with cosmic powers - and then no-one mentioned it ever again apart from Angel still having the fire wings for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Not as far as we know it, at least I don't think he went on record to say it. There was a number of editorial interventions (like having to start the run with the MCU Avengers roster, accomodating Thanos in Infinity also to tie in with the movie, not using teen Jean Grey as the Phoenix in Secret Wars and such things), but the time skip might have been the result of Marvel wanting Secret Wars out as soon as they could.

As for the topic at hand, Hickman can do more character work with a couple of pages than Bendis can do with an entire arc. He did more for Mystique than Bendis, who wanted her to be the mutant Hood, the only villain he knows how to write, than Bendis did in a number of issues. That's just one example. He was good at creating characters that mattered (two out of The Five are his OCs) and revolutionary Cyclops was a GRRRREAT concept that was poorly handled, but that's pretty much the extent of his legacy. So of course Hickman takes the lead, by a LONG mile.
    Teen Jean was supposed to go Phoenix in Secret Wars? Would've loved to see that

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Man, the Black Vortex sure was a MacGuffin that threatened to change everything about the Marvel Universe and leave characters permanently changed with cosmic powers - and then no-one mentioned it ever again apart from Angel still having the fire wings for a while.

Right! I remember Kitty getting cosmic powers and it being a big deal and then nothing coming of it.

BANNED

I see this lock down is making everyone loco. How in the name everything sacred is this even a question? I am positive that the 20 votes for Bendis are just people trolling.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

Bendis' run started off great. I actually liked Battle of the Atom. The O5 has a cross-over with SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN and HULK. Then there was the Guardians of the Galaxy events. Bendis also wrote Cyclops, Emma and Illyana pretty well.
    Bendis started off with the abysmal Ultimate X-Men. You might want to rephrase that.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

Then somehow Uncanny went to crap during Original Sin and All-New after Black Vortex. At least both books were better than The Defenders; that was some piss taking.
    They did? I didnt know that. Do you know what books/issues that occurred in?

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I cant say I'm surprised by the results of Hickman leading but I'm a bit surprised people found bendis stuff better. his stories were so hard to read.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!