View Poll Results: Who is better X-Men Writer?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hickman

158 87.29%
  • Bendis

23 12.71%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Bendis is one of the worst x-writers over the last couple of decades. He did things that are nigh unforgivable.
    Last edited by Vishop; 07-09-2020 at 08:14 PM.

There were some things I liked about Bendis' run. I did like the 05 and what he did for Teen Jean. I liked his Cyclops (to an extent). The 05 stuff did drag on so long and of course others had to wrap it up. His dialogue could be grating at times. I need to re-read it but I just can't be bothered.

I missed a good junk of the Bendis run when it came out because I had already quit reading for a few years. I did come back to reading X-men by buying some trades of the Bendis era and the teen 05 (especially Jean) got me hooked. I didn't go back to reading X-men full time again until the Jean Grey and Iceman solos.

Hickman is def the better writer but Hickman is still so new to X-men to compare. But comparing their other works I'd have to go Hickman for sure. I'm reading some of Hickman's Avengers run currently and am enjoying it.

Bendis Jessica jones, avengers and Daredevil all beat hickman works

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Jessica Jones and the first half of his DD run might give Hickman competion, the second half? eh not so much. And his Avengers is not that great in my opinion, is the main reason of why i got tired of his style.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

The Avengers spending years fighting The Hood and eating pizza is better than Hickman?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Jessica Jones and the first half of his DD run might give Hickman competion, the second half? eh not so much. And his Avengers is not that great in my opinion, is the main reason of why i got tired of his style.
    His Avengers wrote that Squirrel Girl arc lmao
    JJ's art was bleh and not to mention it tried a bit hard to make things look like it's was such a big thing but comes of generic.

EDIT: Bendis's tics(narrative) are pretty repetitive and Gaydos seems to copy-paste panels most of the time. I left his' Jessica Jones after two books.
    Last edited by Vishop; 07-09-2020 at 10:20 PM.

Both are terrible but Hickman's story could've been cool as an Elseworlds at least. Bendis' was just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    There were some things I liked about Bendis' run. I did like the 05 and what he did for Teen Jean. I liked his Cyclops (to an extent). The 05 stuff did drag on so long and of course others had to wrap it up. His dialogue could be grating at times. I need to re-read it but I just can't be bothered.

I missed a good junk of the Bendis run when it came out because I had already quit reading for a few years. I did come back to reading X-men by buying some trades of the Bendis era and the teen 05 (especially Jean) got me hooked. I didn't go back to reading X-men full time again until the Jean Grey and Iceman solos.

Hickman is def the better writer but Hickman is still so new to X-men to compare. But comparing their other works I'd have to go Hickman for sure. I'm reading some of Hickman's Avengers run currently and am enjoying it.
    Pretty much this about Bendis. He had good ideas and I liked Revolutionary Scott and he wrote ex-girlfriend Emma as an ex girlfriend and not as a deranged psychopath (looking at you, Soule). The issue is that with BoTA first and then Original Sin he lost focus and **** went to hell.

Hickman is definitely the better writer. He is doing such large world building and he knows the characters besides a wiki search.

Quote Originally Posted by ipanema45 View Post
    Even Mariah Carey is a better X-Men writer than Bendis and she has never written any issues.
    Well Mariah can do everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    The Avengers spending years fighting The Hood and eating pizza is better than Hickman?
    Lol. All I remember from his Avengers were the decompression, the pizza scenes and the dialogues which got so annoying and repetitive.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    HickMan no contest.

BUT. Bendis has the good idea of bringing the 05 to the present and make Jean relatable and enjoyable again. thus making Xmen red posible by proxy.

Also "New Old Jean" is more fun than MomPantsFaintJean
    Agree with that.

Bendis did some good stuff with the O5 and esp. Jean.
    After first hearing about the O5 coming to the present I was sceptical at least, but he surprised me.

And his Uncanny run was good too. For bringing Magik back to the front alone it would be that but he had some other stuff like his writing of older Cyclops that made me like it.

BANNED

Based on his Avengers run I was surprised that he could write somone like Jean well. I mean part of this was that he had problems with higherpowered characters.

After X-Men he did get in a "writing on autopilot" kind of thinking. Civil War 2 and his Guardians run are like that. Would be my guess that his going to DC was already fixed and that were just the last things he needed to write.

i mean that was better than hickman's avengers
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Fantastic Member

But the poll is specifically about X-men.

Anyway, not sure how this is even a contest. Hickman drew tons of appeal and has a unique concept brewing with the five and mutant sovereignty complete with a future time travel conspirator to ensure it isnt just another genosha.

Bends, idk. Sent kitty to space to have her date his other favorite character while regressing them both back in maturity ten years.

Hard pass.

BANNED

I don't like the poor plotting and lack of attention to his prior events. Both of those things leads to murky character motivations. As a result, I have no personal investment in seeing how any of his plots turn out, because he often ignores what he's had characters say and do in prior issues. For example, during "AvX", Magneto was clearly not in possession of the Phoenix Force and fought against the Phoenix 5, yet his powers ended up broken, despite Bendis saying in prior issues that only the holders of the Phoenix Force had their powers broken. Then when he tried to clarify, the explanation made no sense. As a result, the "broken powers" storyline just doesn't have any internal consistency with prior storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Lol. All I remember from his Avengers were the decompression, the pizza scenes and the dialogues which got so annoying and repetitive.
    Seems to me that he likes to write grounded storylines which at first seems decent but it gets too repetitive and becomes pointless at one point. He spends most of his time making characters do things he wants for the sake of the plot without it making any sense in the grand scheme of things. I've rarely read the cast seem as insipid or mean as he's managed to write them.
    Last edited by Vishop; 07-10-2020 at 01:18 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    i mean that was better than hickman's avengers
    Yeah, Logan being characterized as a pedophile is better than Avengers fighting against Thanos which was the weakest plot for his standards.