View Poll Results: Who is better X-Men Writer?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hickman

158 87.29%
  • Bendis

23 12.71%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    I don't like the poor plotting and lack of attention to his prior events. Both of those things leads to murky character motivations. As a result, I have no personal investment in seeing how any of his plots turn out, because he often ignores what he's had characters say and do in prior issues. For example, during "AvX", Magneto was clearly not in possession of the Phoenix Force and fought against the Phoenix 5, yet his powers ended up broken, despite Bendis saying in prior issues that only the holders of the Phoenix Force had their powers broken. Then when he tried to clarify, the explanation made no sense. As a result, the "broken powers" storyline just doesn't have any internal consistency with prior storylines.

Seems to me that he likes to write grounded storylines which at first seems decent but it gets too repetitive and becomes pointless at one point. He spends most of his time making characters do things he wants for the sake of the plot without it making any sense in the grand scheme of things. I've rarely read the cast seem as insipid or mean as he's managed to write them.
    OMG the Magneto thing was so stupid!

The broken powers storyline could have been very interesting but he forgot about it lol. He introduced Emma broadcasting her own thoughts out which could have been used for some nice stuff or character arcs for her -> solved off panel. The rest was Dark Beast, wasn't it? I can't remember. But it was still anticlimatic.

Whatever you think, Hickman sees Bendis as a mentor and influence. I feel like Hickman is more of an X-Men fan though, rather than a Kitty fan, but they both share an interest in putting favourite characters in uncomfortable new situations to drive drama, rather than just making X-Men Gold.

Hickman. A thousand times. I mean, it’s not even a contest. Hickman’s writing MIGHT have some characters acting OOC but we still don’t know if there is a reason for that.
    And that’s the thing. I am actually interested in learning what is going on in the Hickman story while I couldn’t care less about Bendis run.

And I don’t even know what happened in Bendis run. Past O5 visited the present and then they were sent back by others never to be mentioned again. Matthew Malloy was introduced and swiftly retconned out of canon. Xavier was revealed to be married to Mystique and to have had a son with her which makes zero sense and which everyone just wants to forget. And then there were the Utopians who were teased quite a bit and they just... appeared and then... disappeared? I guess...? And I don’t even remember what else. Oh yeah, I guess he created Amity, Egg, Tempus & Triage. Some of whom have appeared occasionally since then and others who have just faded away to free space for the newer teen characters who will also be forgotten sooner rather than later.

So all in Bendis just spun his wheels the entire run and only good thing about his run is that it’s easy to ignore and pretend like it never happened.
    Last edited by JustAnotherFan; 07-10-2020 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post

So all in Bendis just spun his wheels the entire run and only good thing about his run is that it’s easy to ignore and pretend like it never happened.
    I’ll be saying something similar re: Hickman in a year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
    Hickman’s writing MIGHT have some characters acting OOC but we still don’t know if there is a reason for that.
    And that’s the thing. I am actually interested in learning what is going on in the Hickman story while I couldn’t care less about Bendis run.
    For me, Hickman isn’t really interested by characters, they are used rather than served.
    Worldbuiding interests me less than the truth of the characters and their relationships.
    So Bendis rather than Hickman, despite the hysterical side of his run.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Also let’s not forget Jeen forcing Bobby out of the closet. I’m convinced that Bendis revealed Iceman as gay just so that something could stick from his run. Luckily other writers have done something with the reveal, but everything Bendis wrote came off as offensive and underdeveloped.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Also let’s not forget Jeen forcing Bobby out of the closet. I’m convinced that Bendis revealed Iceman as gay just so that something could stick from his run. Luckily other writers have done something with the reveal, but everything Bendis wrote came off as offensive and underdeveloped.
    The forced coming out was bad and at the time it got me kinda mad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    OMG the Magneto thing was so stupid!

The broken powers storyline could have been very interesting but he forgot about it lol. He introduced Emma broadcasting her own thoughts out which could have been used for some nice stuff or character arcs for her -> solved off panel. The rest was Dark Beast, wasn't it? I can't remember. But it was still anticlimatic.
    Dark Beast? I suppose you mean DP and I don't recall that part but in my opinion, Emma seems to suffer under his pen because he simply doesn't know how to write her as cunning, intelligent, and charming at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Dark Beast? I suppose you mean DP and I don't recall that part but in my opinion, Emma seems to suffer under his pen because he simply doesn't know how to write her as cunning, intelligent, and charming at the same time.
    Yeah there was Dark Beast but I can't remember if he was behind Scott's powers going crazy.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-11-2020 at 08:48 AM.

BANNED

remember how nanoboots were actually the reason their powers were messed up?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    remember how nanoboots were actually the reason their powers were messed up?
    So they choose the Metal Gear route, Liquid Ocelot would be proud.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I remember thinking Bendis started off pretty strong with some bold ideas that inevitably fizzled out and we realise Bendis had no idea where he going either.

With Hickman, we know that he knows exactly where we are going and what beats we will hit on the way.

On pure fact that Hickman can tell a story, Hickman gets my vote any day of the week.

How?

How is this?

(How is this even?)

How is this even a question?

(Question?)

Like.

Like, how?

Hickman isn't perfect, and Bendis is probably better at pushing certain emotional buttons, but Hickman is like a Renaissance artist compared to Bendis's neurotic teenager scribbles.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-11-2020 at 08:49 AM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Hickman by far, but I didn't mind Bendis' run (even if it did have some issues).

To me, this question feels like asking "What do you like better, getting punched in the face or kicked in the groin?"

I'd really not rather have either.