Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    This is a problem super heroes can fix. You can't defeat bigotry by throwing a magical hammer at it. Super heroes are there to beat up bad guys ... and that's the extent of it. They won't end bigotry anymore than they would end world hunger or end global warming. THey're just there to punch out bad guys.

If the X writers wanted to show other heroes try and do more, sure they could... but their efforts would fail because that's what the X writers want. And that's somewhat of an inherent problem with the X-Men corner of the MU... it throws everyone under the bus in order to sustain the narrative of mutants being the victims. The public, the government, and even other super heroes are made to look bad so that mutants can continue to play the victim. In a lot of ways I sometimes think mutants should get their own world separate from the rest of the MU, but it is what it is.
    I agree, there's praticaly 0 benefits from sharing an universe, it stiffles both sides and the invisible barrier that exists at the moment needs to be turned into an actual multiversal barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    The X-Men are hated and feared just because they want. Xavier can end all this in a couple of days at most, using Cerebro to rewrite the minds of all those who hate mutants so that they don't (or merely reduce the "hates mutants with a passion and is willing to kill them" to just a mere "does not like mutants").
    Course the other thing to consider is that MOST people probably can't tell a mutant hero from a non mutant hero unless they happen to be wearing an X on their costume. I think for the most part people stopped caring that Sunspot was a mutant the minute he joined the Avengers. Even the government for the most part was cool with him.

That's the sort of counter intuitive thing about Xaviers dream... in theory it was about having mutants and human co-exist, but in practice it was to a degree segregating them and essentially painting a bullseye on them. Once X-Men broke away from that and started intergrating in other teams like the Avengers or Defenders or whatever, I think by and large people stopped thinking about them as mutants. Funny how that sort of worked out.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'd be okay if they just toned it down to "we don't like your kind here" and the occasionally mutant getting beaten by a bunch of drunken rednecks instead of the super hightech murder squads they keep bring into the books.
    Super high-tech murder squads often supported or at least allowed to operate within national borders by human authorities/governments, especially in the United States, so . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Would rather see the mutant beat the drunken rednecks...but this is probably my hatred of the way they killed Rahne who would have smacked those drunken frat boys around but the writer wanted to sacrifice her at the alter of anti-mutant racism to show how bad mutants have it.

I have posted about his many times...they should show anti-mutant sentiment as more of a pendulum that swings back and forth as time goes on. Yes there is a group that will always be anti...but the size waxes and wanes over time.
    Yeah, that would make more sense than "all hatred, all the time." And yes, I hate how they did Rahne in the last X-Men run, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    The X-Men are hated and feared just because they want. Xavier can end all this in a couple of days at most, using Cerebro to rewrite the minds of all those who hate mutants so that they don't (or merely reduce the "hates mutants with a passion and is willing to kill them" to just a mere "does not like mutants").
    Back when Xavier cared what humankind thought of him and his X-Men, he would be vehemently against that, not because he couldn't do it, but because it wouldn't be right to violate the free will of others, even if that free will led to them doing horrible things. Nowadays . . .

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Course the other thing to consider is that MOST people probably can't tell a mutant hero from a non mutant hero unless they happen to be wearing an X on their costume. I think for the most part people stopped caring that Sunspot was a mutant the minute he joined the Avengers. Even the government for the most part was cool with him.

That's the sort of counter intuitive thing about Xaviers dream... in theory it was about having mutants and human co-exist, but in practice it was to a degree segregating them and essentially painting a bullseye on them. Once X-Men broke away from that and started intergrating in other teams like the Avengers or Defenders or whatever, I think by and large people stopped thinking about them as mutants. Funny how that sort of worked out.
    In other words, the solution is to deemphasize their mutant identity and just go about their (heroic) business like everyone else in the setting, and everything should be fine . . . except what happens to the mutants that aren't lucky enough to (be able to) integrate into more conventional superhero teams or (other) human-dominant organizations?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Super high-tech murder squads often supported or at least allowed to operate within national borders by human authorities/governments, especially in the United States, so . . .

Yeah, that would make more sense than "all hatred, all the time." And yes, I hate how they did Rahne in the last X-Men run, too.

Back when Xavier cared what humankind thought of him and his X-Men, he would be vehemently against that, not because he couldn't do it, but because it wouldn't be right to violate the free will of others, even if that free will led to them doing horrible things. Nowadays . . .

In other words, the solution is to deemphasize their mutant identity and just go about their (heroic) business like everyone else in the setting, and everything should be fine . . . except what happens to the mutants that aren't lucky enough to (be able to) integrate into more conventional superhero teams or (other) human-dominant organizations?
    I'm not saying that's really a sollution to the mutant bigotry so much as I was pointed out a bit of irony to the situation. Stick and X-Men in the Avengers or Defenders, and people seem to stop caring for some reason.

For non super hero mutants, there's no real sollution to mutant bigotry than there is any other sort of bigotry that exists in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'd be okay if they just toned it down to "we don't like your kind here" and the occasionally mutant getting beaten by a bunch of drunken rednecks instead of the super hightech murder squads they keep bring into the books.
    While that seems logical, this is still a superhero setting. Spider-Man villains are usually crooks who suddenly get super powers because reasons. Captain America villains are usually military people or tyrants with grandiose and impossible plans. In the case of the X-Men, their enemies are people like themselves, and humans who hate them and have impossible resources. None of these tropes are that different from each other.

The real problem is that, for a long while now, we have only seen "Human vs Mutant" stories make it big for the X-Men, with only very occasional other stuff. Which makes it seem like that's what the X-Men are all about. Does anybody remember that Age of Apocalypse, one of the biggest stories about the X-Men, is about a god-like mutant ruling the world and not humans hunting mutants? I'm sure lots of people do, but Marvel writers have forgotten.

Spectacular Member

The Russo's said something of a Secret Wars movie arc.