Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Does anyone have a favorite canonical love interest for Jimmy?

Just kinda curious if anyone likes any of the relationships he's had in the past much.

I’ve always been a Jimmy/Lucy Lane shipper, though I don’t mind him playing the field either.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I’ve always been a Jimmy/Lucy Lane shipper, though I don’t mind him playing the field either.
    I do have a fondness for them. But I'm not sure how much of that is just nostalgia. Maybe even live-action nostalgia (I confess to liking the Supergirl movie as a kid).

Retired

I like old school Jimmy and Lucy. But it's not because I think they're a sweet couple and they should totally be together forever, sigh. No. The writers--and I think this is especially so with Otto Binder--were having a lot of fun with Jimmy and Lucy. They are both completely screwed up and there's so much hilarious dysfunction in their romance.

Jimmy is an idiot--he's the George Costanza of the Daily Planet--he goes after women he can't have. And Lucy isn't much better. She'll dump Jimmy if she gets a better offer. But they are both so inept that they can never do better than each other. And yet when they do get married (a few times), that can't last either.

To me this is some of the best writing, because those characters ring true. There are a lot of people like that, who stumble through life, not sure about what or who they want. And I have a lot of affection for both those characters, because they aren't perfect, they don't know what they want, they are real.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I like old school Jimmy and Lucy. But it's not because I think they're a sweet couple and they should totally be together forever, sigh. No. The writers--and I think this is especially so with Otto Binder--were having a lot of fun with Jimmy and Lucy. They are both completely screwed up and there's so much hilarious dysfunction in their romance.

Jimmy is an idiot--he's the George Costanza of the Daily Planet--he goes after women he can't have. And Lucy isn't much better. She'll dump Jimmy if she gets a better offer. But they are both so inept that they can never do better than each other. And yet when they do get married (a few times), that can't last either.

To me this is some of the best writing, because those characters ring true. There are a lot of people like that, who stumble through life, not sure about what or who they want. And I have a lot of affection for both those characters, because they aren't perfect, they don't know what they want, they are real.
    If I wasn’t already a fan of them as a couple, this post would have gotten me 90% there.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'll throw in for Jimmy Olsen and Lucy Lane and their chaotic selves, too. Dysfunction works best for the adventures of Superman's pal.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I liked the jimmy x supergirl thing as reverse superman x lois thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Yeah this. All-Star Superman was my first intro to Lucy, and carving “I love Lucy” on the moon basically cemented those two as endgame for me. Was shocked when I saw that wasn’t the case in main canon.

Yeah, when I think of Jimmy and romance, Lucy usually comes up first.

Astonishing Member

I'd go with Jimmy and Lucy from Pre-Crisis, but the Imaginary Tale that had Linda Danvers marrying Jimmy while she had amnesia was one I'd have preferred if it had been more than a one-shot.

The post-Crisis/pre-Infinite Crisis Lucy was better off with Ron Troupe and better off alone Pre-Flashpoint. I definitely couldn't see him dating successfully any of the Supergirls that have appeared since the Crisis (or even the Supergirl that existed by the Bronze Age).

Jimmy hasn't really had any relationships that lasted or were even memorable since the 1986 reboot. The closest I can think of was the bad attempt to drag in Smallville's Chloe Sullivan into the comics just prior to Flashpoint or that weird Lena Luthor/B13 thing in a 12-issue mini. And neither of them worked well enough to want to see them revived for the current continuity.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Lies I say! LIES! Jimmy Olsen is a super genius and the smartest man alive! You know how Scott Snyder wrote Batman as Batgod and made him prepared for every possible situation due to infinite pre-time? That's how Jimmy Olsen should be written.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Superman, obviously

Seriously, though. Jimmy loves Superman more than any of his established love interests.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00 AM View Post
    Superman, obviously

Seriously, though. Jimmy loves Superman more than any of his established love interests.
    I was just thinking if I should say it because it's not on topic, but now that you bring it up...

I want him to have a male love interest for no reason other than I want it XD

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah this. All-Star Superman was my first intro to Lucy, and carving “I love Lucy” on the moon basically cemented those two as endgame for me. Was shocked when I saw that wasn’t the case in main canon.
    Plus, their couple name would be “Jucy”. That’s too funny!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I was just thinking if I should say it because it's not on topic, but now that you bring it up...

I want him to have a male love interest for no reason other than I want it XD
    With Jack Larson and Marc McClure playing his two most well known versions, plus all the cross-dressing, it kinda makes sense