Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Lack of PoC in X-Force #10

Sooooo FINALLY FINALLY got to read some X-Content!! A day late but got X-Force #10
    Yeeeah it was Kiiinda Hot. Liked seeing

Wolverine
    Jean
    QQ
    Black Tom

working together
    Got a peek of what's next in the X-World The Giant sized Previews...

Magneto
    Emma Frost

Dinner Discussion is potentially full of cooling shade!

Fantomex
    Sebastian Shaw
    Selene
    Donald Pierce (?)
    Mastermind (?)

In combat and prob who can be the most faux European.
    I took a dab or 2 so maybe I'm wrong Buuuut are ALLLL the characters spoilers:
    white
    end of spoilers?? Was there even a minority in the background Or am I tripping?

Not saying there has to be X amount of minority representation, annnnd I know it's just 1 book and few preview pages....But If I got my wish and Marvel released an X-issue then preview pages featuring solely Black Mutants Or Brown Mutants they'd be shouts of Pandering!....Wokeness! Preposterous!
    Or maybe Im being cynical...
    GrindrStone(D)

Yes it's pretty bad, there's mostly white characters and most people in positions of power are white. They gave us more gay and bi representation but the X-Books are lacking on so many fronts.

The other day, I came across a TV show and I knew immediately it wasn’t an US TV show… The characters were white, black, asian… One of the main characters was a dog.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    The other day, I came across a TV show and I knew immediately it wasn’t an US TV show… The characters were white, black, asian… One of the main characters was a dog.
    What show?

One of the Howling Commandos is black, though that in itself seems like a whitewashing of history.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    What show?
    Hudson & Rex. It’s Canadian.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Storm is the only real POC(sure, we have pink and blue people...) on the QC, and Hickman et al have completely dropped the ball on her so far. X-Men canon overall is severely lacking with proper representation, especially since their whole thing is a 'repressed minority' angle. The fact that CC's New Mutants was perhaps the height of racial/ethnic diversity for any of these teams, and it was a solid 30+ years ago(and half blonde haired, blue eyed), shows how far this franchise(and Marvel/Disney) has yet to go.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

The book has had an all white cast since issue #1. Why is it a surprise now at issue 10 when you see this book release with all white characters? For what its worth, he may not have appeared this issue but Forge is a recurring character and Cecilia has made appearances

Ppl thinking the US is the bastion of racism and UK/Canadian shows aren’t just as racist will never not be depressingly hilarious. But to the topic, yeah mfs white as hell. Even New Mutants is whiteeeee.

X-Force could’ve flourished with a roster of Domino, Bedlam, Wolverine, Trinary, Beast, Forge, Marvel Girl, Feral, and Prodigy.
    Last edited by Tycon; 07-10-2020 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Ppl thinking the US is the bastion of racism and UK/Canadian shows aren’t just as racist will never not be depressingly hilarious. But to the topic, yeah mfs white as hell. Even New Mutants is whiteeeee.

X-Force could’ve flourished with a roster of Domino, Bedlam, Wolverine, Trinary, Beast, Forge, Marvel Girl, and Prodigy.
    * heart eyes emoji *

I'd add Frenzy to that to go wreck stuff and it's a perfect team.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    * heart eyes emoji *

I'd add Frenzy to that to go wreck stuff and it's a perfect team.
    FRENZY. The perfect addition tbh. And Gateway (or Manifold) could’ve still operated as their main mode of transportation. Some of the team choices don’t even make sense. Why would Logan or Jean continue to let Quentin on the team?? What’s his purpose?

There’s something very strange about positing all the white members as the “main crew” while Forge and Gateway (for as many times as they are incorporated into the team) are shifted to secondary characters.
    Last edited by Tycon; 07-10-2020 at 07:12 AM.

Ultimate Member

Probably because Marvel is giving Quire a push and he's a character that can say or do almost anything and get away with it, his powers and attitude and such keep him on the team, not because he's such a great character but more that there's little to nothing that he can't or won't do...

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    You know what, in US TV, there an old show called Ally McBeal. I really loved the 4 first seasons. I really loved that some characters were black : Renée, Greg (Ally's boyfriend I had a huge crush for at the time) some asian (Ling) and the color of their skin was not an issue. It was characters, living their lives, their dramas, but it had nothing to do with colors. It was so refreshing at the time.

Anyway, sorry for the out of topic comment. Back to Marvel, is there a main male asian character ? I know they love asian girls (Karma, Jubilee, Armor) but they tend to ignore the male ones. Sunfire has never been important for the writers (the lame suit didn't help, maybe) and that even had to come with a female version of him (Sunpyre)... I don't know what's with Marvel and asian girls...

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    FRENZY. The perfect addition tbh. And Gateway (or Manifold) could’ve still operated as their main mode of transportation. Some of the team choices don’t even make sense. Why would Logan or Jean continue to let Quentin on the team?? What’s his purpose?

There’s something very strange about positing all the white members as the “main crew” while Forge and Gateway (for as many times as they are incorporated into the team) are shifted to secondary characters.
    Quentin is kinda dumb because he's unreliable and that's a CIA team so you need to be levelheaded and such. Manifold is also a very nice idea and Hickman loves him so he should totally get on Krakoa. He's also had experience under Nick Fury so he knows his spy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Storm is the only real POC(sure, we have pink and blue people...) on the QC, and Hickman et al have completely dropped the ball on her so far. X-Men canon overall is severely lacking with proper representation, especially since their whole thing is a 'repressed minority' angle. The fact that CC's New Mutants was perhaps the height of racial/ethnic diversity for any of these teams, and it was a solid 30+ years ago(and half blonde haired, blue eyed), shows how far this franchise(and Marvel/Disney) has yet to go.
    Steady on with the Ancient Egyptian erasure.