Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Quentin is kinda dumb because he's unreliable and that's a CIA team so you need to be levelheaded and such. Manifold is also a very nice idea and Hickman loves him so he should totally get on Krakoa. He's also had experience under Nick Fury so he knows his spy stuff.
    I’m wondering when he’ll pop up cause you know he will. Just a matter of where.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Probably because Marvel is giving Quire a push and he's a character that can say or do almost anything and get away with it, his powers and attitude and such keep him on the team, not because he's such a great character but more that there's little to nothing that he can't or won't do...
    They’ve given him a push since 2013 and it hasn’t worked.

I understand what his character is, I don’t get why any sensible adult would continue to let him on the team. cause his whole conceptions being expressed with the strawman “mwhahaha Mutants are Gods” stuff that Logan can easily shut down... it’s boring. I’d rather we get a character that’s rebellious with an interesting point of view (Frenzy, Feral) that isn’t just a privileged brat whose best role in the books are his grotesque deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by franckd View Post
    You know what, in US TV, there an old show called Ally McBeal. I really loved the 4 first seasons. I really loved that some characters were black : Renée, Greg (Ally's boyfriend I had a huge crush for at the time) some asian (Ling) and the color of their skin was not an issue. It was characters, living their lives, their dramas, but it had nothing to do with colors. It was so refreshing at the time.
    Oh god, that makes me feel more ancient than Apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    The fact that CC's New Mutants was perhaps the height of racial/ethnic diversity for any of these teams, and it was a solid 30+ years ago(and half blonde haired, blue eyed), shows how far this franchise(and Marvel/Disney) has yet to go.
    I think each new genesis has been diverse.
    The All-New X-Men started it. Generation X had an Asian, two people of African descent, a Latino, and [gasp] a Pacific Islander. Seagle-Kelly gave us a black Latino and a blue African. The New X-Men had lots of different races. The Bendis kids. Etc.
    The question is whether or not those characters actually get continued spotlight, character development, and good story lines... and the answer is usually 'no'. If they do, expect them to be whitened. Hi, Sunspotless and Monetized!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ipanema45 View Post
    Yes, all of those characters are white.
    honestly this has been the case since the inception of the xmen. their stories have mostly featured an all white cast or an all white cast with one or two non-white ones.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Steady on with the Ancient Egyptian erasure.
    Poccy is blue most of the time, and almost never depicted or written in a way that actually reflects an ethnic Kemetian from 4000 years ago.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    The All-New X-Men started it. Generation X had an Asian, two people of African descent, a Latino, and [gasp] a Pacific Islander. Seagle-Kelly gave us a black Latino and a blue African. The New X-Men had lots of different races. The Bendis kids. Etc.
    The question is whether or not those characters actually get continued spotlight, character development, and good story lines... and the answer is usually 'no'. If they do, expect them to be whitened. Hi, Sunspotless and Monetized!
    Ok, Generations X was pretty diverse, right about where NM was:

Whites: Emma, Sean, Husk, Chamber

POC: Jubilee, Synch, Monet, Skin

Mondo was barely in the series at all, and when he was, he was either useless or a murderous clone, so not sure he's a great example. Skin, while Latino, was also colored grey and all smooshy most of the time, was somewhat of a stereotype, and was killed immediately after their run.

All the other characters you mentioned did not constitute an equal share or majority of their casts, and most of them were thrown away after their introductory arc, so my point still stands.

X-men being so white is a thing that I have been saying for a while

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    yup and this is why I couldn't even be made about the foxmen and how white the movies were.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Poccy is blue most of the time, and almost never depicted or written in a way that actually reflects an ethnic Kemetian from 4000 years ago.
    What's he need, a goofy phonetic accent, otherwise he defaults to white?

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    The All-New X-Men started it.
    One Black woman and a Native American man who dies like three issues after his intro isn’t rly what I’d call “diverse.”

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Everyone’s been saying it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    One Black woman and a Native American man who dies like three issues after his intro isn’t rly what I’d call “diverse.”.
    Not forgetting the one Japanese guy who sods off home immediately. Also, New Mutants starts relatively diverse, but the East Asian character is sidelined immediately and within about a year they're majority white and blonde.

What's he need, a goofy phonetic accent, otherwise he defaults to white?
    If his character design had the slightest hint of ethnic Kemetian, I wouldn't have handwaved him as a blue person, but so it is.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Personally...as a Black, Caribbean, Gay man...I don't care that one particular book is lacking in PoC.
    I read other books that are diverse. I don't need every single book on the shelf, every book I read to trumpet diversity and representation.
    I just need them to tell good interesting stories with great art.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Gen X and Academy X (just the sheer volume of charas) are on the better end of representation. The New X-Men had Wind Dancer and Prodigy as the main protagonists for the first half. Plus the inclusion of Gentle, Bling!, Loa, Dust, Indra, Tag, Armor, and Surge.

Not forgetting the one Japanese guy who sods off home immediately. Also, New Mutants starts relatively diverse, but the East Asian character is sidelined immediately and within about a year they're majority white and blonde.
    And the minute Shiro comes back, he gets called slurs :////

https://bookriot.com/giant-size-x-me...and-racist-af/

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Personally...as a Black, Caribbean, Gay man...I don't care that one particular book is lacking in PoC.
    I read other books that are diverse. I don't need every single book on the shelf, every book I read to trumpet diversity and representation.
    I just need them to tell good interesting stories with great art.
    Name two books in the current X-Line populated by mostly people of color.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

As much as I love X-Force, the lack of diversity is very disappointing. There are a number of characters that could easily be added, and work with the premise/roster. Frenzy, Sunfire, Sunpyre, and Monet, just to name a few.