Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Last time I called attention to the fact that X-Force had an all white cast, the people who ragged on other writers and praised Percy as the Sun God himself weren't very happy, so I guess the book being basically that was never a point of controversy in this joint.

I really liked black Domino in Deadpool 2. A shame she isn’t black in the comics as she’s an awesome character who would add diversity. Rather than shoehorn a less interesting character in just to accomplish this. I also liked how they made Laura Hispanic for the same reason.

But, if they were going to add some diversity in this book, I’d go with any of the following...

- Forge
    - Bishop
    - Sunspot
    - Psylocke (Kwannon)
    - Frenzy

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

For a book that, for all intents and purposes is well-written, using well-liked and known characters and well illustrated, if the point of controversy is that there are no PoC...well...that's not much of a controversy to begin with.

Percy chose the characters he wanted to write.
    Could he have chosen PoC...sure...but he didn't.
    Is X-Force any less interesting, less enjoyable, less engaging because it's not PoC centric?
    Speaking for myself only, in my humblest of opinions, no it's not.

And consider...
    The minute you start to "demand" writers "write this story using only these characters" then you're doing the writer and his abilities a gross disservice.
    The reason why editorially mandated works are more often than not unliked is because the writer is not allowed to flex his creativity in the way he or she would like, freely.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-10-2020 at 05:28 PM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Bishop should be totally on x-force instead of Colossus.

it also has very little value put poc just to be around and have zero character development like happens on Marauders.

x-men also only have few guests being POC
    Last edited by spirit2011; 07-10-2020 at 05:39 PM.

I agree that X-force needs diversity. Forge is used some and Gateway has been in one or two issues. But that is not enough. I agree that Trinary would be a great addition to the team. She could easily replace Sage. Bedlam would be a nice addition. Prodigy would work well but he's going to be in X-factor.

Percy is a great writer for Wolverine and so far his voice for Jean is good. I wonder how he would do with a more diverse cast. I haven't read any of his other works.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I agree that X-force needs diversity. Forge is used some and Gateway has been in one or two issues. But that is not enough. I agree that Trinary would be a great addition to the team. She could easily replace Sage. Bedlam would be a nice addition. Prodigy would work well but he's going to be in X-factor.

Percy is a great writer for Wolverine and so far his voice for Jean is good. I wonder how he would do with a more diverse cast. I haven't read any of his other works.
    To me Sage has always been drawn Asian not Caucasian, so I'm not sure she should be replaced,instead of Quire to they should have used Karma

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    For a book that, for all intents and purposes is well-written, using well-liked and known characters and well illustrated, if the point of controversy is that there are no PoC...well...that's not much of a controversy to begin with.

Percy chose the characters he wanted to write.
    Could he have chosen PoC...sure...but he didn't.
    Is X-Force any less interesting, less enjoyable, less engaging because it's not PoC centric?
    Speaking for myself only, in my humblest of opinions, no it's not.

And consider...
    The minute you start to "demand" writers "write this story using only these characters" then you're doing the writer and his abilities a gross disservice.
    The reason why editorially mandated works are more often than not unliked is because the writer is not allowed to flex his creativity in the way he or she would like, freely.
    Huh? I'm so confused trying to figure out the point you're trying to make. "I'm Black and I don't care if a book has a majority white cast, therefore it isn't a big deal?" You mentioned being Caribbean, most of those islands are majority ethnic so maybe that's why you don't have an issue with a dearth of minority representation, but I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here by downplaying this issue. The X-Men is an American thing. Black Americans do not grow up in a world where most of the people they see look like them (no ethnic minority American does) so if they're pushing for media representation why are you speaking over them?

I'm enjoying X-Force. I didn't even notice that the cast is entirely white, but considering the persecuted minority angle is the soul of the franchise, it's a totally valid point to make that most of the most heavily featured mutants are cisgender, heterosexual, white people.

BANNED

Marvel never hires non whites or women to write or edit the XMen. You’d need a lot more diversity hire up in the corporate seactor. You also need greater diversity in whose writing, directing, and producing the films.

At least Hickman resurrected all the POC characters that were killed off from Generation X, the New Mutants, Hellions, and the 21st century young XMen. Now we just need writers and editors to use them, and it’s going to take much greater diversity behind the scenes at Disney for this to happen.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Vita Ayala is a black non-binary person hired to write CoTA

Louise Simonson was an editor and writer for the X-Books.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-11-2020 at 08:26 AM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Marvel never hires non whites or women to write or edit the XMen. You’d need a lot more diversity hire up in the corporate seactor. You also need greater diversity in whose writing, directing, and producing the films.

At least Hickman resurrected all the POC characters that were killed off from Generation X, the New Mutants, Hellions, and the 21st century young XMen. Now we just need writers and editors to use them, and it’s going to take much greater diversity behind the scenes at Disney for this to happen.

Agreed. I would love to read an X-Men run written by someone who actually understands what it feels like to be a persecuted minority (no disrespect to Stan Lee, but that was like 70 years ago and comics were not nearly as nuanced then.)

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Vita Ayala is a black non-binary person hired to write CoTA

Louise Simonson was an editor and writer for the X-Books.
    WHOA the first Black writer working on a non-mini X-Book in.... 60+ years. You get all the accolades, X-Office!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    To me Sage has always been drawn Asian not Caucasian, so I'm not sure she should be replaced,instead of Quire to they should have used Karma
    Claremont says Sage is essentially from the Middle East, somewhere in the mountains, between the Caucasus and Himalayas(literally the origin for the word "Caucasian", and the physical boundary between Asia and Europe), so she could maybe be some sort of something, but she is depicted more white than anything else.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Agreed. I would love to read an X-Men run written by someone who actually understands what it feels like to be a persecuted minority (no disrespect to Stan Lee, but that was like 70 years ago and comics were not nearly as nuanced then.)
    To be fair, Stan and Jack were both Jews, so they kinda already knew. The original Sentinel story was the best of their run, and its probably because of their own experiences as Jews alive during WW2.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I've never seen Sage look anything other than white.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    To be fair, Stan and Jack were both Jews, so they kinda already knew. The original Sentinel story was the best of their run, and its probably because of their own experiences as Jews alive during WW2.
    Oh for sure, no disrespect to them at all. It was just so long ago and they were still cis-het white men. There are certainly cishet white male writers who do a great job with minority characters (Ewing comes to mind) but it's a consistently missed opportunity for the X-Office to not have way more diverse a writing staff than it does.

RE: Sage, I've always looked at her as a very fair skinned Arab/Eurasian. I agree that she usually does look white but so did Betsy-in-Kwannon's-body a lot of the time, and so do Sunspot and Monet more often than not.
    Last edited by davetvs; 07-11-2020 at 08:45 AM.