Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Fantomex was in this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    WHOA the first Black writer working on a non-mini X-Book in.... 60+ years. You get all the accolades, X-Office!
    And haven’t there been rumors that CotA is being cut short?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Of course they don't deserve "accolades".
    But in an Industry that has been "broken" for a very long time and now the cracks are showing through the paint...they are making an effort to change.

One of the reasons CotA along with many other Marvel books are being cut short because the current business model no longer works for/supports a post/in-Covid market (from the general reports US states are still spiking in number of infections.)

It's not some conspiracy against WoC...it's about which books are expendable.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    It’s either that or it may just be getting cut altogether. I love the ever-flowing inclusivity of having one Black writer on the lineup at a time whose only contribution is a six issue or less series.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Of course they don't deserve "accolades".
    But in an Industry that has been "broken" for a very long time and now the cracks are showing through the paint...they are making an effort to change.
    Why do you have a mindset that the industry is “broken”? The problem isn’t that it’s broken, but it was specifically designed to only be accommodating to cishet white men, everyone else be damned. That’s why we’re hearing about so many women who’ve had horrible experiences who couldn’t do **** about it because those people were generally in charge or in some position of power. The only difference is that the foundations are transparent and everyone can openly express the disgusting nature of the comic book industry.

It's not some conspiracy against WoC...it's about which books are expendable.
    Vita isn’t a woman so idk who the ‘WoC’ is targeted at.
    Last edited by Tycon; 07-11-2020 at 09:48 AM.

When I say "broken" I mean inclusive of all the issues pertaining to sexual misconduct, gender/race inequality and yes, the accommodation of CWM...that has recently been brought to light. It's clearly been "broken" for decades.

And in the aftermath of all the issues and problems coming to light, and not just in Industry, but Nationally...they should be making changes and fixing what's broken going forward.

WoC= Writer(s) of Colour.

While the X-Office have been behind the curve...Marvel hired Eve Ewing to write Ironheart, Coates to write BP. Saladin Ahmed to write Spiderman Miles Morales so...they've been doing a bit of course correcting.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-11-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    When I say "broken" I mean inclusive of all the issues pertaining to sexual misconduct, gender/race inequality and yes, the accommodation of CWM...that has recently been brought to light. It's clearly been "broken" for decades.

And in the aftermath of all the issues and problems coming to light, and not just in Industry, but Nationally...they should be making changes and fixing what's broken going forward.

WoC= Writer(s) of Colour.

While the X-Office have been behind the curve...Marvel hired Eve Ewing to write Ironheart, Coates to write BP. Saladin Ahmed to write Spiderman Miles Morales so...they've been doing a bit of course correcting.
    Didn't they all get added before they got the rights back to the XMEN?

Never made any sense to me why Coates got Black Panther when Storm was available. Not a BP fan, but when I've been in those threads BP fans seem to think Coates should've been on Storm instead.

I think that before the XMEN were reunited with the MCU, all the up and coming new characters of color were always non-mutant. Hopefully with the XMEN back in focus, I expect diversity issues to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by franckd View Post
    Not much asian males. They never cared much about Sunfire. And once they tried to team up the X-Men with a kind of kung fu* character. It was such a cliché. A cliché that couldn't mix well with yellow and blue spandex... After that, I never brought the subject before, because I don't mind that much.

*As a mixed asian male myself, I m obviously those words in a racist way
    It really kills me that Sunfire isn't used more.

Yupp.
    Hopefully the X-Office will improve bringing in more PoC.

The do have a female assistant editor, Annalise Bissa. And female writers Tini Howard and Leah Williams.
    Plus, Vita Ayala, Marte Gracia, Mahmud Asrar, Pepe Larraz, Leinil Yu, Marcus To, R.B. Silva, Flaviano Armentaro...all non-white creatives.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-11-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Not forgetting the one Japanese guy who sods off home immediately. Also, New Mutants starts relatively diverse, but the East Asian character is sidelined immediately and within about a year they're majority white and blonde.
    So true. It started out so distinctive, with three girls and two boys (where the average Avengers or Justice League or X-Men lineup had maybe two girls out of *seven,* and often just one (Wonder Woman, Storm, etc.)). And then Ilyanna, Doug and Amara all showed up and blonded the place up, which was particularly egregious since Ilyanna's family has black hair, and Amara was intended to be a South American native...

But yeah, more Asian dudes would be nice. Sunfire, Silver Samurai (post Big Hero 6 he's turned around), Wiz Kid, Collective Man, Dragon, Auric, Thunderbird III (Neal Sharra, who direly needs a better name, IMO). It's not like Asian boy mutants don't exist...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Multiple writers like QQ. Outside of the Cuckoos (who's ties to Emma have elevated them), you don't see Beak, Angel, Dust, No Girl, Tattoo or any of the other kids from Morrison's run get used like QQ.
    And Polymer, Keratin, Stalwart, Mentat, Contact, Imp, etc. get no love at all. Ernst (along with Martha) barely gets included in a background every now and then just because she's got a cool visual. Justice for Slick!

It is weird how Quentin gets used so differently. In Morrison's run, he used drugs and telepathy to foster a riot at Xavier's that ended in the death of one of the Cuckoos (and Glob setting himself on fire and attempting to murder a bunch of humans on school grounds). After that fiasco, the three flunkies who were *less* involved in the riot went to jail for it, and Quentin and Glob? Nothing. Now he's mysteriously better-looking, spontaneously became a telekinetic (he wasn't, originally), and everybody seems to have forgotten the riot entirely, with one of the Cuckoos even making goo-goo eyes at him (they originally held him in contempt and called him disgusting, and that was *before* he got one of them killed, when he was merely a wild-eyed druggie supremacist).

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    WHOA the first Black writer working on a non-mini X-Book in.... 60+ years. You get all the accolades, X-Office!
    The guy that wrote Fallen Angels was black too I thought. And it wasn’t planned as a mini. Thankfully it turned out to be one, though. It was awful.

Extraordinary Member

Tessa is suppose to be from the Balkans I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    The guy that wrote Fallen Angels was black too I thought. And it wasn’t planned as a mini. Thankfully it turned out to be one, though. It was awful.
    By the time the first issue dropped, it had “limited” on the credits page. So it may not have initially been planned as a mini, but it ended up as one when it arrived.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Oh for sure, no disrespect to them at all. It was just so long ago and they were still cis-het white men. There are certainly cishet white male writers who do a great job with minority characters (Ewing comes to mind) but it's a consistently missed opportunity for the X-Office to not have way more diverse a writing staff than it does.

RE: Sage, I've always looked at her as a very fair skinned Arab/Eurasian. I agree that she usually does look white but so did Betsy-in-Kwannon's-body a lot of the time, and so do Sunspot and Monet more often than not.
    She’s Turkish or Romanian

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    And Polymer, Keratin, Stalwart, Mentat, Contact, Imp, etc. get no love at all. Ernst (along with Martha) barely gets included in a background every now and then just because she's got a cool visual. Justice for Slick!

It is weird how Quentin gets used so differently. In Morrison's run, he used drugs and telepathy to foster a riot at Xavier's that ended in the death of one of the Cuckoos (and Glob setting himself on fire and attempting to murder a bunch of humans on school grounds). After that fiasco, the three flunkies who were *less* involved in the riot went to jail for it, and Quentin and Glob? Nothing. Now he's mysteriously better-looking, spontaneously became a telekinetic (he wasn't, originally), and everybody seems to have forgotten the riot entirely, with one of the Cuckoos even making goo-goo eyes at him (they originally held him in contempt and called him disgusting, and that was *before* he got one of them killed, when he was merely a wild-eyed druggie supremacist).
    This could be explained by the resurrection protocol. We know the memories are being altered via Domino, the rest is explained by cloning. Question is, why would Xavier do that? Make him more dangerous and to have a smoother integration with Krakoa?