Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Characters you like but have not read their ongoings

I have been thinking about this but there are definitely some characters that I have actually grown to like not because I read their ongoing series but because they frequently appear in other series or events that I read. I mean there are a lot of characters in the DC universe but I can’t hope to afford to read them all but I still know who some of the characters are because they pop up. I’m sure other readers have the same experience so I thought I’d ask.

For me I’ve been thinking about Swamp Thing, I have not read any Swamp Thing ongoing series or digital exclusives but I like him because he constantly appears in events I read like Metal or Death Metal or ongoings like Superman or as a member of Justice League Dark. It also helps that he was playable in the Injustice 2 video game. I might pick up some omnibuses of his in the future but as of right now I can’t say I’ve sought out anything specifically Swamp Thing related.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

I really liked Blue Beetle and Booster Gold in the Giffen DeMatteis Justice League series.

I've never read anything else they've ever been in. Not sure why, but I just haven't.

I really like The Question from the JLU cartoon, but i never bothered to read any of his solo runs.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I really like The Question from the JLU cartoon, but i never bothered to read any of his solo runs.
    He was the Batman of JLU tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I have been thinking about this but there are definitely some characters that I have actually grown to like not because I read their ongoing series but because they frequently appear in other series or events that I read. I mean there are a lot of characters in the DC universe but I can’t hope to afford to read them all but I still know who some of the characters are because they pop up. I’m sure other readers have the same experience so I thought I’d ask.

For me I’ve been thinking about Swamp Thing, I have not read any Swamp Thing ongoing series or digital exclusives but I like him because he constantly appears in events I read like Metal or Death Metal or ongoings like Superman or as a member of Justice League Dark. It also helps that he was playable in the Injustice 2 video game. I might pick up some omnibuses of his in the future but as of right now I can’t say I’ve sought out anything specifically Swamp Thing related.
    Me too. I only bought one Swamp Thing comic my whole life. Also, Martian Manhunter and Firestorm.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Most characters I like, I read trades of their best stuff. My longest running monthlies at different times have probably been JLA, JSA, Flash, Aquaman, Deathstroke. Almost everyone else I look backwards for the best stuff.

Like the Flash and Green Arrow enough but I only really care about them when they're interacting with Hal. Green Arrow in particular I find kind of insufferable when he's on his own or in other ensemble stuff.

Well then now would be the appropriate time to check out the recently passed Denny O'Neil's fantastic fun on the book. Easily one of my favorite comic runs of all time.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

I really like Vixen but she's never had an ongoing, so there isn't one to read.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

If I haven't read a character's ongoing, it's usually because I haven't had a good opportunity to read it or have heard negative reviews for it.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I liked Kyle Rayner a lot during his tenor as a Green Lantern in Morrison's Justice League and I loved his relationship with Wally; but I never read his solo. I don't know why, but I think it's because I enjoy his interactions with the rest of the DCU.

I also really liked the myriads of Hawkpeople but never read their solos because I have no idea where to begin.

I also loved Wally West as Flash, but I just couldn't get into John's run I found it kinda boring and I never read Waid's run

This is the one, I've never read any either.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I've always really liked Orion

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I liked Kyle Rayner a lot during his tenor as a Green Lantern in Morrison's Justice League and I loved his relationship with Wally; but I never read his solo. I don't know why, but I think it's because I enjoy his interactions with the rest of the DCU.
    Me too. Kyle is certainly very likable. And all the goodwill and positive articles in Wizard Magazine were quite helpful, as well.

As for my choice, I became a fan of Captain Atom when he appeared alongside Mary Marvel in Formerly Known as the Justice League. Never had the chance to read his series from the late '80s/early '90s, but heard good things about it. Hopefully, it will receive a collected edition soon.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 07-10-2020 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Added clarification.

Extraordinary Member

Hal Jordan’s niece Helen.

But didn’t read the Spectre series. Which seems to have never been in continuity, even before Flashpoint.