Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default Batman TV spin-off in the works from director Matt Reeves

Don't know what to think about this:

https://ew.com/tv/the-batman-tv-spin-off-matt-reeves/

Matt Reeves, who's directing Robert Pattinson as the Caped Crusader in his DC Comics-based The Batman, is now developing a TV series that will expand the world of the upcoming superhero movie.

The planned show, which received a series commitment, is being developed for the HBO Max streaming platform and will be set in the Gotham City Police Department. According to a press release sent out Friday, the story will be an "examination of the anatomy of corruption in Gotham City" and work to launch "a new Batman universe across multiple platforms."

It's unclear at this point whether characters featured in The Batman movie will crossover into the show, though one would assume that's a possibility. Westworld actor Jeffrey Wright will portray Gotham PD's James Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Don't know what to think about this:

https://ew.com/tv/the-batman-tv-spin-off-matt-reeves/

Matt Reeves, who's directing Robert Pattinson as the Caped Crusader in his DC Comics-based The Batman, is now developing a TV series that will expand the world of the upcoming superhero movie.

The planned show, which received a series commitment, is being developed for the HBO Max streaming platform and will be set in the Gotham City Police Department. According to a press release sent out Friday, the story will be an "examination of the anatomy of corruption in Gotham City" and work to launch "a new Batman universe across multiple platforms."

It's unclear at this point whether characters featured in The Batman movie will crossover into the show, though one would assume that's a possibility. Westworld actor Jeffrey Wright will portray Gotham PD's James Gordon.
    I say just make a Batman lead show with Patterson but whatever.
    Hopefully this is like Gotham but without kid Bruce and a more likable/interesting Jim Gordon. Don’t get me wrong Gotham was one of my favorite dc shows, but it’s boring take on Jim was the weakest part.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I say just make a Batman lead show with Patterson but whatever.
    Hopefully this is like Gotham but without kid Bruce and a more likable/interesting Jim Gordon. Don’t get me wrong Gotham was one of my favorite dc shows, but it’s boring take on Jim was the weakest part.
    But why waste resources even making another Gotham? Dc keeps confusing me to its direction on its projects. They need a kevin fiege type guy to lay all the projects out and make them connect.

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    But why waste resources even making another Gotham? Dc keeps confusing me to its direction on its projects. They need a kevin fiege type guy to lay all the projects out and make them connect.
    I feel like that ship has sailed, might as well do whatever you want

Why make another Gotham? To make a show banking on Batman's popularity while still saving Batman for the films only. That big Batman streaming show some fans dream of? Never gonna happen.

Dc dont want their projects to connect.
    They stated that several years ago in a press release that they are taking the more multiversal approach to allow creators to come up with their own take on characters. If they were they would jot have allowed the Joker to happen when they already had a Koker (Leto) in the DCU.
    They stated that back in 2014 or 15, before JL. So movies about DC characyer can connect or can be totally separate depending on whos behind it and what they want.

Here's a link tonthe 2014 interview

https://screencrush.com/justice-league-dc-multiverse/

When asked Johns said

We look at it as the multiverse. We have our TV universe and our film universe, but they all co-exist. For us, creatively, it’s about allowing everyone to make the best possible product, to tell the best story, to do the best world.

Everyone has a vision and you really want to let the visions shine through. I think the characters are iconic enough. I like [Marvel’s Agents of] S.H.I.E.L.D. a lot. I love what Marvel does. I’m a huge fan. It’s just a different approach … You have to have conversations about what’s happening in TV and film between everybody because you don’t want to do the same
    Last edited by beatboks; 07-10-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Can Robin or Nightwing get a spin-off TV show instead? At least that hasn't been done before.

James Gordon again? Meh. Oh well, here's hoping it's better than the Titans and Batwoman series.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Can Robin or Nightwing get a spin-off TV show instead? At least that hasn't been done before.
    Nightwing and Robin are already taken by Titans, so doubtful they'd be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I mean, Titans is there.
    And I'd rather have Jason or Tim than Dick. A Red Hood show would have potential.

Simple.

More Gotham Central less Gotham.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Simple.

More Gotham Central less Gotham.
    Greg Rucka talks about writing Gotham Central starts 39:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t2WT6VZZSI

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

I hope they use JOSIE MAC on this show.

JosieMac.jpg

BANNED

I don't see DC bringing in a Fiege figure, its unnecessary. DC does and should not have one person handling all their projects. Its destroying creativity and has created a poor
    formula for movies.

Matt Reeves Batman is a stand alone series. What DC has is a multiverse.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I don't see DC bringing in a Fiege figure, its unnecessary. DC does and should not have one person handling all their projects.

Its destroying creativity and has created a poor
    formula for movies.

Matt Reeves Batman is a stand alone series. What DC has is a multiverse.
    You wrong by the way.
    Anyway the one reason dc is doing it another way because they have a hard time doing what the competition has done.
    There are folks who saying they want it done more the marvel way since it's the best proven way and clearly most people don't agree with your view.
    So far dc is finding more of they own way and what works for marvel is not going to work or work as well for dc.

Here is some some other views and talk about the dc multiverse below.

Batman Beyond Movie? Kind of, Michael Keaton for DCEU Batgirl

bombus467 quote-
    I just don't understand why DC is having such a hard time at this. I'm completely lost as to what's going on at this point.

Jonathan Ramirez quote-
    They really can't stand being way behind marvel but still they're constantly ruining their progress is so frustrating
    Also throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks while crossing fingers.

Pratik Gaikwad quote-
    @GlareBox Lol

Tue Sorensen quote-
    DC/Warner has never really liked superheroes. Never really known what to do with them. Never considered them cool, or artistic. And in any case, the DC heroes only continue to exist because they're riding Marvel's coat-tails. It's been like that since Marvel began in the 60s, and it's like that for the movies as well. Without Marvel, DC would have self-destructed a long time ago.

@GlareBox
    @Tue Sorensen In that case, maybe DC is better off under a studio that genuinely wants to build a shared universe -
    like Universal.
    Also, if WB really cared about DC they would have found a producer by now who also happens to understand and respect comics (like Kevin Feige). For whatever reason, they still haven't got that person, so that shows the level of their ambitions.

bombus467 quote-
    First off: multiverse "You keep using that word, DC. I don't think it means what you think it means." Injustice used the multiverse; you had a singular Batman, a singular Superman, a singular Wonder Woman, etc. who maybe had a difference in costume or moral alignment, history or something like that. That makes sense. But them talking about the Flash (from the Snyderverse) running over into the Burton movies, while we have Pattinson playing a completely different Batman/Bruce Wayne in some other movies, with Affleck coming back to play his in another movie......this seems completely opposite of them finally wanting to bring the 'DCEU proper' back. Why not have Flash run into the Nolan universe while you're at it? Heck why not the Adam West universe? Why not the animated series too? They're saying multiverse when what I think they mean is 'movieverse'. You wanna make a movie where The Flash is basically running through the WB's superhero catalogue like it's a theme park or a museum. That sounds absolutely ridiculous, and makes NO scientific or logical sense! At this point I'm just waiting on the news headline "WB/DC admits they have absolutely no idea what to do with their DC franchise characters."

Louis Wilson quote-
    We are all lost as too what WB is doing.

WHY Cant the DCEU keep up with the MCU in MOST Cases

Every Marvel movie is a different genre, and that's why the MCU works ...
    https://www.gamesradar.com/every-mar...why-mcu-works/

DC Finally Embraces Its Role As The Anti-MCU
    https://screenrant.com/dc-movies-sha...ferent-reason/

Why The Future Of DCEU Movies Looks Brighter Than Ever (Updated)
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug.../#6568196a5cc6
    Last edited by mace11; 07-11-2020 at 10:46 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    You wrong by the way.
    Anyway the one reason dc is doing it another way because they have a hard time doing what the competition has done.
    There are folks who saying they want it done more the marvel way since it's the best proven way and clearly most people don't agree with your view.
    So far dc is finding more of they own way and what works for marvel is not going to work or work as well for dc.

Here is some some other views and talk about the dc multiverse below.

Batman Beyond Movie? Kind of, Michael Keaton for DCEU Batgirl

WHY Cant the DCEU keep up with the MCU in MOST Cases

Every Marvel movie is a different genre, and that's why the MCU works ...
    https://www.gamesradar.com/every-mar...why-mcu-works/

DC Finally Embraces Its Role As The Anti-MCU
    https://screenrant.com/dc-movies-sha...ferent-reason/

Why The Future Of DCEU Movies Looks Brighter Than Ever (Updated)
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug.../#6568196a5cc6
    Before a person like Fiege existed. DC had

Batman 89
    Batman returns
    Batman Forever
    Batman and Robin

Superman 1
    Superman 2
    Superman 3
    Superman 4

Batman Begins
    Batman TDK
    Batman TDKR

Smallville

Superman TAS
    Batman TAS
    JL TAS
    Various DC animated films

They created a TV Universe-Arrowverse
    Gotham

They had a DCEU

Joker

DC has been doing fine, they don't need a Fiege figure to head every DC Media and yes, it does hurt creativity because if that was the case, DC CW TV, TDK Trilogy and their animated film may have looked different for the worse. Everyone one of this DC movie or tv I mentioned are pretty much their own entity, which raises and gives more credibility to their quality or lack thereof.

We are already fishy about this new Batman show because again, no batman in it. its not about them DC trying to be like marvel or getting a Fiege.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-11-2020 at 11:37 AM.