Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Batman TV spin-off in the works from director Matt Reeves

Don't know what to think about this:

https://ew.com/tv/the-batman-tv-spin-off-matt-reeves/

Matt Reeves, who's directing Robert Pattinson as the Caped Crusader in his DC Comics-based The Batman, is now developing a TV series that will expand the world of the upcoming superhero movie.

The planned show, which received a series commitment, is being developed for the HBO Max streaming platform and will be set in the Gotham City Police Department. According to a press release sent out Friday, the story will be an "examination of the anatomy of corruption in Gotham City" and work to launch "a new Batman universe across multiple platforms."

It's unclear at this point whether characters featured in The Batman movie will crossover into the show, though one would assume that's a possibility. Westworld actor Jeffrey Wright will portray Gotham PD's James Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Don't know what to think about this:

https://ew.com/tv/the-batman-tv-spin-off-matt-reeves/

Matt Reeves, who's directing Robert Pattinson as the Caped Crusader in his DC Comics-based The Batman, is now developing a TV series that will expand the world of the upcoming superhero movie.

The planned show, which received a series commitment, is being developed for the HBO Max streaming platform and will be set in the Gotham City Police Department. According to a press release sent out Friday, the story will be an "examination of the anatomy of corruption in Gotham City" and work to launch "a new Batman universe across multiple platforms."

It's unclear at this point whether characters featured in The Batman movie will crossover into the show, though one would assume that's a possibility. Westworld actor Jeffrey Wright will portray Gotham PD's James Gordon.
    I say just make a Batman lead show with Patterson but whatever.
    Hopefully this is like Gotham but without kid Bruce and a more likable/interesting Jim Gordon. Don’t get me wrong Gotham was one of my favorite dc shows, but it’s boring take on Jim was the weakest part.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I say just make a Batman lead show with Patterson but whatever.
    Hopefully this is like Gotham but without kid Bruce and a more likable/interesting Jim Gordon. Don’t get me wrong Gotham was one of my favorite dc shows, but it’s boring take on Jim was the weakest part.
    But why waste resources even making another Gotham? Dc keeps confusing me to its direction on its projects. They need a kevin fiege type guy to lay all the projects out and make them connect.

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    But why waste resources even making another Gotham? Dc keeps confusing me to its direction on its projects. They need a kevin fiege type guy to lay all the projects out and make them connect.
    I feel like that ship has sailed, might as well do whatever you want

Why make another Gotham? To make a show banking on Batman's popularity while still saving Batman for the films only. That big Batman streaming show some fans dream of? Never gonna happen.

Dc dont want their projects to connect.
    They stated that several years ago in a press release that they are taking the more multiversal approach to allow creators to come up with their own take on characters. If they were they would jot have allowed the Joker to happen when they already had a Koker (Leto) in the DCU.
    They stated that back in 2014 or 15, before JL. So movies about DC characyer can connect or can be totally separate depending on whos behind it and what they want.

Here's a link tonthe 2014 interview

https://screencrush.com/justice-league-dc-multiverse/

When asked Johns said

We look at it as the multiverse. We have our TV universe and our film universe, but they all co-exist. For us, creatively, it’s about allowing everyone to make the best possible product, to tell the best story, to do the best world.

Everyone has a vision and you really want to let the visions shine through. I think the characters are iconic enough. I like [Marvel’s Agents of] S.H.I.E.L.D. a lot. I love what Marvel does. I’m a huge fan. It’s just a different approach … You have to have conversations about what’s happening in TV and film between everybody because you don’t want to do the same
    Last edited by beatboks; 07-10-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Can Robin or Nightwing get a spin-off TV show instead? At least that hasn't been done before.

James Gordon again? Meh. Oh well, here's hoping it's better than the Titans and Batwoman series.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Can Robin or Nightwing get a spin-off TV show instead? At least that hasn't been done before.
    Nightwing and Robin are already taken by Titans, so doubtful they'd be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I mean, Titans is there.
    And I'd rather have Jason or Tim than Dick. A Red Hood show would have potential.

Incredible Member

I trust Matt Reeves as a director. When there is actually a good director im more at ease because they tend to not take projects that will be bad quality even if the studio direction for the film is questionable.

I'm actually excited for this. I know people are probably going to complain about more Batman but at the end of the day Batman sells extremely well. Imo what wb/dc is doing with Batman is no different than what Disney does with Mickey Mouse and gang, they keep reinventing the wheel. Also, Marvel will do this one day too most likely with Spiderman and people will be mad just how they are now with Batman. The money maker is the money maker whether we like it or not.

A Batman led show with no Batman in it is a waste of time. WB needs to stop this crap and allow Batman on TV. The merry-go-rounding about Batman on the small screen is becoming beyond annoying.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    A Batman led show with no Batman in it is a waste of time. WB needs to stop this crap and allow Batman on TV. The merry-go-rounding about Batman on the small screen is becoming beyond annoying.
    I'm okay with a Gotham type tv show, because Gotham is rich with stories outside of Batman but I will agree about the merry go rounding. They not only do that crap with Batman but almost all the dc characters and it is quite annoying. If they are okay with a multiverse setup than why should it matter if there is a Batman on tv vs a Batman in film?

Remember on arrow when they would no longer all Deathstroke to appear because of the JL movie or when Superman in full costume was forbidden in Smallville? Not to mention the rumors that the cw flash will end when the film is made because wb/dc doesn't like having the character to be in film and on tv at the same time

So is this supposed to be what, exactly? a "no capes" show? Regular criminals, no Bat-villains? If this is just cops vs murderers and the mob, eh..

I'm also worried about the portrayals. I'm not feeling world-weary white cops anymore. We got to see that in, well, Gotham recently. Harvey and Jim. Center some different people, racial minorities in Gotham's world.

And it might as well be in the "modern" world. I'm not sure how to react to this if it's set in the 70s or 80s.

Get somebody like Cheo Hodari Coker or David Simon involved as showrunners.

Simple.

More Gotham Central less Gotham.

BANNED

I don't see DC bringing in a Fiege figure, its unnecessary. DC does and should not have one person handling all their projects. Its destroying creativity and has created a poor
    formula for movies.

Matt Reeves Batman is a stand alone series. What DC has is a multiverse.