Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

This story had a great twist, I really liked how they managed to find a solution to combat Knull using marvel canon spoilers:
    Captain universe is a great answer to knull, it can bassically be anybody who means to do good and fight the darkness
    end of spoilers
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    This story had a great twist, I really liked how they managed to find a solution to combat Knull using marvel canon spoilers:
    Captain universe is a great answer to knull, it can bassically be anybody who means to do good and fight the darkness
    end of spoilers
    Indeed, it's a spectacular reworking of previous Marvel lore, especially given that spoilers:
    the most commonly known Captain Universe story is a Spider-Man story . . .
    end of spoilers
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gambit2051 View Post
    Right?!?!?!?

It is something that makes so much sense and yet it is for a character whose origins have never really been explored. The fact that Silver Surfer is used like a Herald in this issue also made me smile. The fact he is now one of the Oldest Beings in the Marvel Universe makes it funnier for some reason lol.
    Its' original was detailed in full way back in 80's Micronauts and Marvel Preview comics but Hickman changed its' origin to basically being a power granted by the living universe/Eternity when he was doing the Time Runs Out stuff in The Avengers and New Avengers, it's just like how Warren Ellis created a brand new Starbrand that's become the de-facto version.
    The original Captain Universe origin is that it's a specific power granted by the Enigma Force in times of need, but the origin of the Enigma Force is that it's an aspect of The Sword in the Star which created the Microverse for Prince Wayfinder and his people, the Enigma Force becoming the aspect that is the living embodiment of the Microverse itself much like Eternity is for the main Marvel universe/multiverse.
    Given the multiversal re-boots Marvel has had I'd just chalk up the new origin of the Uni-Power and Enigma Force to be part of the 8th cosmos after Secret Wars re-booted the multiverse. This is at least more interesting retcon or new origin than what Hickman did.

As for the actual source of darkness that Knull was born from I'd say Oblivion fits the bill since he/it was also the source of Amatsu Mikaboshi's power, and they can even source Nyx to Oblivion as well.

Fantastic Member

I'm not going to re-tread the part of this story that still annoys me, but the use of Captain Universe here is inspired, I have to admit.

So does this mean Captain Universe was always a symbiote or...?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    So does this mean Captain Universe was always a symbiote or...?
    When you think about it, it certainly has symbiotic traits, what with the bonding to a host thing.

.... Captain Uni...? what?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    .... Captain Uni...? what?
    Captain Unitard

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Knull is the God of Darkness. He is just not the origin of darkness itself.

Also, Strange used his staff to turn himself into an Asgardian god. It's explained a bit more in depth in Black Cat's own series.
    I read Thor this week, and was also thrown by the reveal that Doctor Strange took power from the Asguardians. Then I read this issue, and took it in stride.

Found the concept that the Enigma Force is actually the opposite of Knull. It makes sense since the force seems to have had a symbiotic relationship with its wielders. I'm appreciative that Cates is using bits and pieces of the Marvel Universe and giving them more depth. However, the reveal of the opposite was lacking to me. The Enigma Force is cool, but I was hoping it would be the Power Cosmic.

Still rest of the issue was nice. Reread all of the issues last night and I dug it. Cates' ability to create fear and dread with Knull has been a distinguishing feature of the series. Creates an opportunity for Eddie as Captain Universe to show what the Enigma Force can do.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Don’t mind it being Enigma Force at all.

I just wanted Venom to win this battle on his own, not through a semi-deus ex machina.
    The whole “stronger when we aren’t alone” motto would’ve been awesome to see instead of light vs dark

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    I freaking love stuff like this!!! Little tidbits of information which are established then a later writer comes and instead of deconstructing it Cates added to it. I thought Jean Grey was fantastic in this issue, she really demonstrated those Omega Level telepathic powers in this issue while being a rather competent strategist!

Mighty Member

Hmmm, not read #4 yet, but I'm starting to believe that maybe there's a way for Venom to gain the Captain Universe powers.
    Which could be what Cates and Stegman are working on next, hence why we haven't got any updates on a new Venom creative team

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    I read Thor this week, and was also thrown by the reveal that Doctor Strange took power from the Asguardians. Then I read this issue, and took it in stride.
    Apparently, Strange got his hands on a piece of the World Tree and used it to imbue himself with Asgard energy when he fought Lori for the title of Sorcerer Supreme.
    It was when Cates was writing Dr. Strange. He is really pulling from everything he has done so far for Marvel.

Marvel has a solid core of writers with Cates, Duggan, Ewing, Aaron, Howard, Leah Williams, Ben Percy, Zdarsky, etc...it really is surprising at how many good writers are working there at the moment, and I didn't even mention Hickman bc he is usually gone on a prolonged (and extremely well deserved) break as soon as he wraps up his Franchise Arcs.

It honestly has been a Good Time to be a Marvel Comic Reader the past several years as long as you know who is writing what.
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    Its' original was detailed in full way back in 80's Micronauts and Marvel Preview comics but Hickman changed its' origin to basically being a power granted by the living universe/Eternity when he was doing the Time Runs Out stuff in The Avengers and New Avengers, it's just like how Warren Ellis created a brand new Starbrand that's become the de-facto version.
    The original Captain Universe origin is that it's a specific power granted by the Enigma Force in times of need, but the origin of the Enigma Force is that it's an aspect of The Sword in the Star which created the Microverse for Prince Wayfinder and his people, the Enigma Force becoming the aspect that is the living embodiment of the Microverse itself much like Eternity is for the main Marvel universe/multiverse.
    Given the multiversal re-boots Marvel has had I'd just chalk up the new origin of the Uni-Power and Enigma Force to be part of the 8th cosmos after Secret Wars re-booted the multiverse. This is at least more interesting retcon or new origin than what Hickman did.

As for the actual source of darkness that Knull was born from I'd say Oblivion fits the bill since he/it was also the source of Amatsu Mikaboshi's power, and they can even source Nyx to Oblivion as well.
    Hickman Captain Universe embodied the universe life and creation it wasn’t a a power granted by the universe or Eternity, it was basically the universe itself in fact it was broken in that incarnation because the universe was broken, it was first worshipped then disawoved by the Builders when they stopped seeding new forms of life, it was an entity not a power.