Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gambit2051 View Post
    Apparently, Strange got his hands on a piece of the World Tree and used it to imbue himself with Asgard energy when he fought Lori for the title of Sorcerer Supreme.
    It was when Cates was writing Dr. Strange. He is really pulling from everything he has done so far for Marvel.

Marvel has a solid core of writers with Cates, Duggan, Ewing, Aaron, Howard, Leah Williams, Ben Percy, Zdarsky, etc...it really is surprising at how many good writers are working there at the moment, and I didn't even mention Hickman bc he is usually gone on a prolonged (and extremely well deserved) break as soon as he wraps up his Franchise Arcs.

It honestly has been a Good Time to be a Marvel Comic Reader the past several years as long as you know who is writing what.
    Duggan, Leah Willliams, Tini Howard, Aaron solid writers? hahah ok

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Hmmm, not read #4 yet, but I'm starting to believe that maybe there's a way for Venom to gain the Captain Universe powers.
    Which could be what Cates and Stegman are working on next, hence why we haven't got any updates on a new Venom creative team
    Hummm interesting. Cates seems to be building for bigger things

Fantastic Member

Not a good time to be a Marvel Comic reader if like me, you're a Sentry fan.

Apparently, Strange got his hands on a piece of the World Tree and used it to imbue himself with Asgard energy when he fought Lori for the title of Sorcerer Supreme.
    It was when Cates was writing Dr. Strange. He is really pulling from everything he has done so far for Marvel.

Marvel has a solid core of writers with Cates, Duggan, Ewing, Aaron, Howard, Leah Williams, Ben Percy, Zdarsky, etc...it really is surprising at how many good writers are working there at the moment, and I didn't even mention Hickman bc he is usually gone on a prolonged (and extremely well deserved) break as soon as he wraps up his Franchise Arcs.

It honestly has been a Good Time to be a Marvel Comic Reader the past several years as long as you know who is writing what.
    Agree to disagree on half that line up.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Duggan, Leah Willliams, Tini Howard, Aaron solid writers? hahah ok

Hummm interesting. Cates seems to be building for bigger things
    I got attacked for saying Aaron's Avengers run feels like it is written for kids. I know Aaron on his A game has in the past written some good work, like Thor and I credit him for that.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJ87D View Post
    I got attacked for saying Aaron's Avengers run feels like it is written for kids. I know Aaron on his A game has in the past written some good work, like Thor and I credit him for that.
    In total agreement with you on Aaron’s Avengers run. I dropped it like 3rd period French. Couldn’t take it.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    In total agreement with you on Aaron’s Avengers run. I dropped it like 3rd period French. Couldn’t take it.
    Same. I like Aaron but his Avengers run is horrible.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Mighty Member

I dropped Avengers after one arc, it was just nonsense to me.
    I'd say Marvel do have a solid writing team, I mean you got Hickman, Cates and Ewing, but I think big things will come to Zdarksy, Tini Howard is a mixed bag, her Excalibur can get confusing at times, but since XOS, she's done great work on the title.
    Leah Williams should have been able to finish Amazing Mary-Jane, that was a really book. But I can see her just improving over time. I imagine she could pull of a great run on either Astonishing X-Men or Spectacular Spider-man.
    Jason Aaron can do great work, o actually enjoyed Original Sin and I would be happy if he does Venom, but I just don't think he gets put on projects that are a great fit.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Disappointed so far with King in Black. As decent a retcon as Captain Universe is, it has NOTHING to do with the entire run of Venom. It’s as if it’s a planned Deus Ex Machina, which is even worse than boxing yourself in and needing to create one.

BANNED

So far there has been nothing special about KIB, it's your very run of the mill bad guy takes over Earth, heroes defeat bad guy plot distilled to it's more basic form. It had nice action is about all i can say so far, the Enigma force being a symbiote is dumb IMO but definitely not the worst retcon out there. Hopefully next issue does something different, but outside of more cool action i doubt we are gonna get anything else. Knull too has been very generic and reacts to every situation as predictably as possible.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Disappointed so far with King in Black. As decent a retcon as Captain Universe is, it has NOTHING to do with the entire run of Venom. It’s as if it’s a planned Deus Ex Machina, which is even worse than boxing yourself in and needing to create one.
    But the seeds for this was actually set very very early, in 2012 from Christpher Yost's Scarlet Spider run.

https://twitter.com/thevenomsite/sta...08952008404996

Donny Cates just did a lot of research and pulled from many other writers to make this event. Like the Necrosword from 2012 from Jason Aaron.

I don't think Donny Cates is asspulling all of this, I think he drafted and has kept consistent with many other writers.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJ87D View Post
    But the seeds for this was actually set very very early, in 2012 from Christpher Yost's Scarlet Spider run.

https://twitter.com/thevenomsite/sta...08952008404996

Donny Cates just did a lot of research and pulled from many other writers to make this event. Like the Necrosword from 2012 from Jason Aaron.

I don't think Donny Cates is asspulling all of this, I think he drafted and has kept consistent with many other writers.
    I agree it’s a great retcon and makes sense. But it just doesn’t make sense in terms of Donny Cates’ run.

At no point has it been referenced, it got hinted at a little bit too late in the Wraith one shot and now it’s here with minimal setup.

The whole message through Cates’ run has been “we are stronger when we aren’t alone” - so I always assumed it would be Venom uniting the symbiotes against Knull and proving that theory true. Instead - the Venom symbiote hasn’t been seen at all and out of the blue the Enigma Force arrives.

As great a retcon as it is, I feel it should’ve been somewhere in the run. This just feels tacked on, to me. The run has not given me any reason to show interest in the enigma forxe

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I agree it’s a great retcon and makes sense. But it just doesn’t make sense in terms of Donny Cates’ run.

At no point has it been referenced, it got hinted at a little bit too late in the Wraith one shot and now it’s here with minimal setup.

The whole message through Cates’ run has been “we are stronger when we aren’t alone” - so I always assumed it would be Venom uniting the symbiotes against Knull and proving that theory true. Instead - the Venom symbiote hasn’t been seen at all and out of the blue the Enigma Force arrives.

As great a retcon as it is, I feel it should’ve been somewhere in the run. This just feels tacked on, to me. The run has not given me any reason to show interest in the enigma forxe
    I think there's still potential for this. It seems every time Knull owned and beat the Enigma Force users and user and the Enigma force had to escape and run away.

At some point we know the symbiotes became sentient and betrayed Knull and imprisoned him.

I think the Enigma force won't be enough, it will probably get its ass kicked. It will take Eddie, Dylan and freeing the symbiotes from Knulls control to defeat Knull.

Perhaps the Enigma force will be revealed to be the one that gave the symbiotes sentience and once again, it will need to help Dylan and Brock to do it again.

In the end, I think it will still be the symbiotes that play a role in stopping Knull. The next arc of Venom has Eddie sitting on a chair holding a necro sword surrounded by symbiotes so he'll probably become their leader or at least has to guide them on being good symbiotes again.

I would like to wait for the arc to finish before holding judgment.

Couldn't disagree more, I'll spot you Ewing, and Hickman. Possibly Aaron. The rest of the bunch have the quality of extended filler writers. Sword of X was the display of the combined abilities of Percy, Duggan, Leah, and Tini. After reading the Characters selected, flimsy narrative of those involved characters, and then the execution. The whole thing was flat. Not horrible, but just...eh???

Did this story end? What happened? How did they defeat Knull?
    The J-man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Did this story end? What happened? How did they defeat Knull?
    I think it was delayed.