Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Tony and the Avengers are going to be in it!!!!! Damn. I’m going to have to give it at least a look see. Empyre should be finished when this starts.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 07-11-2020 at 04:24 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

There was only one King In Black, and his name was Johnny Cash.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Again I ask: what is wrong with the current run?
    You say they’re doing a bad job of distancing Venom from Spidey but I don’t quite get why?
    You are confusing me with the person you originally replied to, but sure, I can tell what's wrong with the current run.

1. While in the beginning Knull seemed like a good way to solve the mess of symbiote's continuity and a nice way to connect it with some other pieces of lore, over the time he became more and more of a joke. He is over the top edgy, the kind of cool dark character that you think up when you are twelve or so (that can also be said about a lot of other Cates's characters). And the attempts at constant hyping him up with the "God is coming", "Knull is coming", "God is coming" blah blah only resulted in people making fun of him. And after that amount of hyping there is no way that Knull can actually live up to it.

2. With the same problems appearing in Thor, it's now clear that when Cates isn't limited by the number of issues, he completely fails at pacing his stories in any sensible way. In terms of story structure, there is also a matter of AC completely falling apart after the setup, and since this is another event, it's highly probable that we will get a repetition of that.

The combination of poor pacing, and constantly hyping up disappointing villain, makes the series a slog to read at times, despite still having strong elements.

Well if you don't have got a problem with all females then please you must not have got a problem with all males!
    And at least after lots of all female covers/comics we finally get all males!
    Yep... I am special type of gay guy...

Astonishing Member

I had to google who Knull is. I'm way out of touch with modern Marvel if I don't recognize major characters anymore.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETMike1988 View Post
    Well if you don't have got a problem with all females then please you must not have got a problem with all males!
    And at least after lots of all female covers/comics we finally get all males!
    Yep... I am special type of gay guy...
    Please tell me how many covers of only male characters, compared to the number of only female covers.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Astonishing Member

Never been a fan of the symbiote corner of Marvel, but I'm more interested in this than Empyre. Depending on how tie-in stories turn out.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I guess I was wrong about Marvel not putting out a new main event so early. Like, they are really going for three big events back to back (Empyre, X Of Swords and King In Black). I'm usually not one to complain about event fatigue, but this seems a little too overkill even for me. Well, I still strongly believe in simply not reading what doesn't interest me and letting other people enjoy it if they like it, so... I guess it won't make that much of a difference for me either way.

Personally don't have a problem with it because these events are more franchise specific rather than the linewide ones with tie-ins galore. I don't really keep up with Venom or the X-men so i won't be buying the events that relate to that but i do regularly follow Avengers stuff (not so much FF) so i will be buying Empyre.

People can control what they follow for events no matter how much Marvel puts out at a time so i don't really put any blame on Marvel when people complain about too many events.
    Last edited by classicgmer; 07-11-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I had to google who Knull is. I'm way out of touch with modern Marvel if I don't recognize major characters anymore.
    He's not major. He's been in a few issues of two series by one writer.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully we have a cool new big bad who won't end up in limbo after this event. Thanos can't be the only event level bad guy.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Knull's origin story still doesn't make sense. But whatever.

I'm going to pass on this one. I've reached the point where the notion of another uber-powerful godlike being coming to wreck the universe does nothing for me. That this event will probably feature all of the usual characters makes it even more of a pass for me. The third strike, symbiotes. Marvel has a way of regurgitating the same concept that makes everyone within earshot almost want to retch, too. That's symbiotes for me. Too bad the Galadorians didn't wage war on them instead of the Dire Wraiths. Maybe they'd be retired to the back bin, too, never to be heard from again. Oh well.

Enjoy the series folks. Be sure to tell me who dies. I have bets already placed on someone from the Spidey family with double the money on a second bet that it will be a Black character.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 07-11-2020 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Knull's origin story still doesn't make sense. But whatever.
    Why? There are two major points to it:
    1. There was a void after the end of the Sixth Cosmos. That's check.
    2. Celestials had a major role in spread of life through the universe. That's check.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sataniel View Post
    Why? There are two major points to it:
    1. There was a void after the end of the Sixth Cosmos. That's check.
    2. Celestials had a major role in spread of life through the universe. That's check.
    Technically, several cosmoses were preceded by a void. But not all of them. Knull believes that he predates all of it, which contradicts First Firmament.

According to the First Cosmos (aka First Firmament), there was no distinction between the void and everything else. It was all one and he/it embodied it. First Firmament created Aspirants (also called the Dark Ones) and the Celestials (called the Multicolored Ones). Presumably the Aspirants represent the "void" that Knull, Oblivion and other entities of that ilk reference. It's worth noting that both the Aspirants and the Celestials propagated life in the First Cosmos. It wasn't just the Celestials introducing life. I imagine both continued those roles in subsequent cosmoses. Kinda makes you wonder why Knull doesn't know that.

Knull's origin would indicate that he came much, much later. We're told that he existed as a god in a previous incarnation and apparently had a full life with conquests and enemies prior to ever encountering the Celestials as part of the "void." For their part, the Celestials didn't know who he was. Or didn't care. They were just going about their work. They basically roused him from his comfy little coffin and he got pissed about it. But he had not heard of the Celestials or Aspirants in his previous incarnation.

Obviously, nothing is ever set in stone and Marvel writers trash every notion of continuity in their shared fictional universe all of the time. I suspect we'll get the usual cop-out, which is that both First Firmament and Knull are wrong about the origin of everything. Knull is a god, and it's commonplace for a religion/myth/belief system to offer a creation myth which doesn't reconcile with the other religions/myths/belief systems. As for First Firmament, being a holistic abstract entity may also ironically limit its perceptions of reality and the complete truth. After all, First Firmament makes no mention of TOAA or an ultimate Creator. He thinks that he occupies that role.

Whatever the case, for my dime I would appreciate it if the writers all sat down and hammered out the inconsistencies.

King in Black...oh please

BP's had Knull beat for a couple decades now
    The J-man

man it would be really messed up if t'challa or blackagar didnt throw hands with knull at some point
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate