Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I honestly think the board would've been more receptive of this if we didn't have to go through.

- Venom-verse
    - Venomized
    - Absolute Carnage

...in the last 3 - 4 years. Remember Venomized? Is D-Man alive or dead? Bloody Hell.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I agree that Immortal Hulk not having an event is what makes the book all the more special.

I think in this case - the problem actually lies in Absolute Carnage. Knull has been hyped as the “bid bad” since the opening of the run, so I can appreciate his arrival is going to be a huge deal. The Carnage story, however, could have easily have fit into the pages of Venom. So when this event finally came, there wasn’t much of a Venom-verse event fatigue and we were really pumped for it.
    That's exactly it, if there was meant to be an event, this should have been it, Absolute Carnage was definitely something that should have been done in Venoms own book and then it could have spiraled into King in Black event. Still you can argue even Knull arriving could be done in the pages of Venoms own book, Knull is a big deal but as i mentioned TOBA is even more of a big deal, Ewing even said TOAA himself will appear as well, this has an impact on Marvel as a whole but Ewing still decided to keep it all inside a Hulk book.

I think event fatigue in general is really what's getting to me at this point.

BANNED

I would be greatly amused if the Black King appears in all its glory and is swallowed by the Sentry's Void or something in the first issue and Carnage has to rescue him as he possesses the Sentry to form the Knull-Void He Who Massacres Universes B*hes. That will be super edgy and Gothic. I jk.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I like Ewing's writing style, but I'm not the biggest fan of his depowering Monica under the cliché that ultimate power compromises one's humanity. My experience has always been that elite levels of power only serve to reveal who a person is. Corruption is not a foregone conclusion. I work in a field that churns out young multi-millionaires every year. I can confirm that the bad apples were rotten before they ever made their first million, while the good ones didn't change, except to become more altruistic and fair-minded. It all goes back to a person's core foundation. I'd welcome a new writer who would embrace that same perspective vis-à-vis Monica. After all, that's generally how uber-powerful men are written in comics, whether we're talking about Superman or Franklin Richards. Besides, Monica shouldn't limit herself when there are so many powerful threats out there. I'm sure Nyx still has Monica at the top of her hit list for the role she played in her children's deaths. You don't go throwing away your best sword after you've pissed off a weyr of dragons.
    It was less mater of power, but more a matter of form. Anyway, I think powering her down was a good move. It allows avoiding what I call "Flash syndrome" with her. To explain - due to all the speedforce buffs piling on, Flash is incredibly powerful and could resolve many of JL problems on his own. Which results in him being taken off the field in the lamest possible ways. Too powerful characters just aren't good for the narrative.

I think in this case - the problem actually lies in Absolute Carnage. Knull has been hyped as the “bid bad” since the opening of the run, so I can appreciate his arrival is going to be a huge deal. The Carnage story, however, could have easily have fit into the pages of Venom. So when this event finally came, there wasn’t much of a Venom-verse event fatigue and we were really pumped for it.
    And Absolute Carnage was originally supposed to just be an arc. But then Marvel editors played their usual game of throwing darts to decide which story-arc should be blown up into an event.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Is D-Man alive or dead?
    Hard to pin, it's possible he got half-vamped?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sataniel View Post
    It was less mater (sic) of power, but more a matter of form. Anyway, I think powering her down was a good move. It allows avoiding what I call "Flash syndrome" with her. To explain - due to all the speedforce buffs piling on, Flash is incredibly powerful and could resolve many of JL problems on his own. Which results in him being taken off the field in the lamest possible ways. Too powerful characters just aren't good for the narrative.
    Ahhh, but the form was the power. Do you recall Nyx's first words to Monica? "What...what are you?" For a being that has dealt with every conceivable Greek deity of light from Helios to Eos to Aurora to Apollo to Hyperion to her own daughter, Hemera, and on and on, and yet it's Monica's form that sends Nyx's senses reeling. It's Monica's light that is powerful enough to fool Nyx into killing her own kids.

At her normal levels Monica isn't immortal, she's not capable of wrasslin' (as my southern cousin's call it) Beyonder-like beings, and she's definitely not powerful enough to face someone like Nyx on her level. Sure, I get why writers downgrade characters, but here there was no need for it. At her normal levels Monica suffers "Flash Syndrome" anyway. They've already handicapped her for routine situations. Readers get it. They know that Monica isn't going to own every situation. I see no need to further limit her when threats like Thanos, Knull, Nyx, etc., are increasingly the norm. Even allies like Void Sentry or Hickman's Hyperion should have a built in check and balance by someone like Immortal Light (IL) Monica. You never know when it's time to get IL.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sataniel View Post
    And Absolute Carnage was originally supposed to just be an arc. But then Marvel editors played their usual game of throwing darts to decide which story-arc should be blown up into an event.

And strangely, I feel like Cates would get FAR more praise for his run on Venom and what he has done if that were the case. Seeing that event play out in standard issues of Venom would have received well with fans.

Quite a few interesting n Facsimile Comics coming out in November head of King in Black including Black Knight, Black Panther, The Thunderbolts and Doc Samson...wonder how these characters will play into the event?

Ken Lashley with a "Knullified" Thor variant.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Donny Cates also teasing something to do with The Sentry/The Void related to Knull on his Twitter? I personally hope not, but we will see.

BANNED

can the x-verse be excluded from this narrative, pretty please.

I would like to ask for the Fantastic Four to not participate too, thank you.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I would like to ask for the Fantastic Four to not participate too, thank you.
    an unexpected alliance

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Ken Lashley with a "Knullified" Thor variant.
    ...Knullified?

This whole Knull thing is comedy gold for Swedish and Norwegian people.

Donny Cates also teasing something to do with The Sentry/The Void related to Knull on his Twitter? I personally hope not, but we will see.
    It wouldn't surprise me if Sentry/Void, presently lounging in the Negative Zone, does get involved. But I suspect he'll just be there as cannon fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    ...Knullified?

This whole Knull thing is comedy gold for Swedish and Norwegian people.
    I'm sure Marvel will say the double entendre was not intentional.