Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Actors who put in good performances despite themselves

The thread title’s not exactly accurate, but my actual question was too wordy to fit.
    The question is:

• Actors you think put in good performances despite only doing the part for the money, or only doing the part due to contractual obligations •

An example of each for me is, Sir Alec Guinness as Obi Wan Kenobi was one of the best parts of the first STAR WARS film for me. He was a rock solid presence as everyone else was in high gear doing their things.
    But, he only did it cuz the pay was good, and didn’t think much of the part or the movie, going by letters he wrote at the time.

Keanu Reeves only did THE WATCHER to avoid a lengthy legal dispute. Long story short, he claims his signature was forged on the contract and so he was obligated to do it. But really, i liked that performance. He really hit that vibe of serial killers being charming, ingratiating themselves into someone’s space w.out them even realizing it and getting them to lower their guard despite themselves.

So, you guys got any?

Astonishing Member

Samuel L. Jackson. He loves acting and is a delight in everything he's in.

Robert Picardo, he came to my attention in Star Trek: Voyager. It was a medicare to terrible show, yet he put in his all in every scene. Became a favourite character quickly. In other performances he holds up to that standard.

Not what I was asking, but ty.

Betsy Palmer in the first Friday the 13th

She thought the script was trash and only took the job because she needed a new car. Yet she delivered an iconic performance and I'm sure is a big reason Friday the 13th became the franchise it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Betsy Palmer in the first Friday the 13th

She thought the script was trash and only took the job because she needed a new car. Yet she delivered an iconic performance and I'm sure is a big reason Friday the 13th became the franchise it is.
    Holy crap, really?
    She wound up w. a new car and a defining role, as ppl likely think of FRIDAY THE 13th whenever her name comes up.
    And yeah, she was super creepy to me as a kid. Great performance!

Brando - Superman
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Robert Picardo, he came to my attention in Star Trek: Voyager. It was a medicare to terrible show, yet he put in his all in every scene. Became a favourite character quickly. In other performances he holds up to that standard.
    Picardo's Emergency Medical Hologram is the best modern Trek doctor. I used to think Voyager was mediocre as well, but after seeing Star Trek: Discovery I'm willing to bump Voyager up to competent.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 07-12-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Max von Sydow in Strange Brew. It's a skill to be so over the top and still be menacing.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    Max von Sydow in Strange Brew. It's a skill to be so over the top and still be menacing.
    No question Max must have had a great time with the McKenzie Brothers.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    No question Max must have had a great time with the McKenzie Brothers.
    I hope they went out for an Elsinor after shooting.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua