Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but they don't just limit the crimes they patrol and arrest for to genocide, it can be any kind of crime like smuggling, trafficking, etc.

There are actual intergalactic laws they cite when they arrest someone.
    And protocols too, i remember when in Final Crisis they had a term for death gods and all.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Space nerds and NASA would love if they could get GLs to wear body cams.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Space nerds and NASA would love if they could get GLs to wear body cams.
    Oh! Didn't even think of that.

Another I didn't think of: if most of us knew how powerful The Guardians of Oa are, the idea of them enlisting an agent on our planet would make GLs VERY unpopular.

In a related thought, if the populace lived A Day In The Life Of John Constantine, most religious zealots (regardless of faith) would hold a bonfire with him as The Central Log.

On the other hand: I imagine both (JLI Era) Booster Gold and Guy Gardner would make out like bandits for opposite reasons. Booster would be media savvy enough to make best use of it. Gardner was a jerk, but he was pure in a way the hard core right would adore.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 07-12-2020 at 04:19 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Now that I think about it, I wonder if Power Rings secretly record whatever the GL's do so the Guardians can review it.
    It's not a secret, at least it wasn't to Hal, who had no problem with it even though Ollie did (which now comes off as a bit strange)

The Book of Oa collected all the stories of all the GL's so yeah, there's recording going on. They just don't get constantly monitored unless the Book decided you should know something. Also Hal used to have to 'make reports' and 'file paperwork' before the corps became a glorified police show.

On a separate note... I would be VERY surprised if Booster Gold doesn't HAVE a body camera... or if Skeets was instructed to record everything so he could watch it later

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The Green Lantern Corps is more of a peacekeeping, humanitarian outfit than "cops". They're more Starfleet than law enforcement, especially since they operate in thousands and thousands of different "legal" zones.

The only hierarchy to superhero characters comes the reader, Superman is just a man trying to fight the good fight. Batman is just a man who investigates weird crimes and various heinous acts. Wonder Woman and Aquaman are adventurers and emissaries from other worlds.

The fact that I'd rather have Batman at my aid than Booster Gold doesn't mean they're an organization with various rungs. We just know Batman is more efficient and legendary because we read his adventures. In-universe the general public might feel the same way about Superman in regards to the Elongated Man, because they've barely heard of one but see the other one go to bat for them constantly.

Sure, there's been stories where Martian Manhunter betrayed the JL or Batman built some wacky information satellite- but those things are dealt with. Superman isn't turning a blind eye, because of a systemic problem within the Justice League or whatever.
    Your description of the GL corps is totally at odds with how the organisation is actually depicted in the books.

The hierarchy is enforced by the writers. The League is treated as the number one Super team on the planet and the Trinity are clearly authority figures. I think you're confusing what you want these guys to be with what they actually are.

They were not "dealt with". These actions were ignored and the heroes suffered no consequences save for a bit of scolding and then it was forgotten about. The closest we got was Superman getting called out by WW in Rucka's run for covering up the Leagur's mindwipes and that was forgotten about in Infinite Crisis. Hell, they made Black Canary, one of conspirators in the mindwipe business, the Chairwoman of the League.

Superheroes have all the same problems cops have dialed up to 11 which is why it's so laughable to see superhero fans lamenting the they don't tackle corruption. Most superhero writers know they'll be throwing stones in glass houses if they did that.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Power Girl would wear two cameras.

Sorry, I'll see myself out....
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Your description of the GL corps is totally at odds with how the organisation is actually depicted in the books.

The hierarchy is enforced by the writers. The League is treated as the number one Super team on the planet and the Trinity are clearly authority figures. I think you're confusing what you want these guys to be with what they actually are.

They were not "dealt with". These actions were ignored and the heroes suffered no consequences save for a bit of scolding and then it was forgotten about. The closest we got was Superman getting called out by WW in Rucka's run for covering up the Leagur's mindwipes and that was forgotten about in Infinite Crisis. Hell, they made Black Canary, one of conspirators in the mindwipe business, the Chairwoman of the League.

Superheroes have all the same problems cops have dialed up to 11 which is why it's so laughable to see superhero fans lamenting the they don't tackle corruption. Most superhero writers know they'll be throwing stones in glass houses if they did that.
    Other then feeling really guilty about it, Zatanna really got off scott-free for practically lobotomizing a lot of people.

Boisterously Confused

Other then feeling really guilty about it, Zatanna really got off scott-free for practically lobotomizing a lot of people.
    It's the fishnets. They sap the will of most dudes around her.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Guess I can't argue with that .

Mighty Member

She was mind controlled by DC.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post

Is fine, i would probably had done the same if you didn't.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Paul Dini agrees with you.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Even Bruce.was like "yeah we're cool now Zee, don't worry". After Infinite Crisis.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post

I was surprised it took this long to get to a PG joke. However, I would love to see a collections of faces looking and trying not to stare at her ... "attributes".